New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

On 04/02/2019 at 01:37, MarshLane said:

I think that may be to do with one of two things.  Either a) it is dependent on the indexing being completed, or b) for the activity streams, the activity only started recording when the site came back online.  My activity streams work correctly if I select 1 day or from last visit, so I suspect it could be the latter. 

Thanks Rich, but I'm still not having much luck with the Activity Stream dropdowns. '1 day' or 'from last visit' seem fairly reliable, but the rest are not in my experience. In this matter, I find changing settings can be very hit and miss - in the following custom stream example, it is not clear what user action the javavscript is expecting to confirm the '10 days' input. This raises the possibility c):  the javascript is flaky, and doesn't do what it says it's doing.

time-window-change1.png.f47eb09c58377469ff74bddcddfe5f01.png

As noted before, most of these time window settings result in erroneous thread listings, at least as far as I can tell so far, but I will continue experimentation.

For a slightly more reliable source of 'threads I have posted in', the listing showing on the Profile > See my activity page contains a few day's worth, albeit under the utterly misleading 'Everything posted by Miss Prism'. (It should better be called 'Recent threads I have posted in'.) The time window length here is unspecified, and is not alterable by the user. Not a great deal of use, but interestingly, it is page-numbered:  Edit: sitation changed later.

rmweb-posts1.png.51750fb64a676375b6149acafe35aa5f.png

The best and fullest listing, and with page numbers (150 in my case), is under the Profile > All activity > Posts. This last listing, admittedly cumbersome to get to, goes back to the dawn of RMweb time, and is far better than the 40-page limit one in the previous RMweb. This listing seems to indicate, at least in one facet, the indexing process is not only not slow, but is complete.

rmweb-posts2.png.6aad07a39bdb336be928de418b25d999.png

Needless to say, the last form is listing is bookmarked. Love it!

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Not what I was saying. I was talking about portable devices.

These days there isn't much difference between tablets and phones, some tablets have a mobile built in

such as:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tablets/galaxy-taba-lte-t595/SM-T595NZKABTU/

The (smaller) Samsung one I have was available with and without

• RMweb Premium

Observation - some of my old posts have had their ratings (old money)/reactions (new money) reinstated, but so far only those that have attachments in them. Sure but steady progress it seems.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I think I'm getting the hang of things now. I may have panicked a bit earlier!

I assume that the 'indexing' is still on going, as, if I go to my Profile and click on 'all activity, it says there is nothing there - yet.

Likewise there is nothing in my activity streams yet.

So I assume my content will appear at some time as the site updates.

Les

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

Apologies if this has been covered

is there an issue with notifications?  Mine seem to be showing up in the top corner of the screen as per usual (and are showing in my followed topics) but I am receiving a vast amount of emails when people post in topics I’ve followed or posted in.  

In my notifications settings I have clicked the do not send me notifications button.

what I am trying to do is get back to the system under the old software having notifications in forum (and followed topics) but not get emails other than a few key topics

thanks 

If you click on the notifications bell at the top, then click on Notifications Settings you can configure what email you get from there. Also click on your username top right of the page and select Manage Followed Content, you can set the frequency of notifications for each topic, although it is a one-on-one thing to go through.

• RMweb Premium

I have just been browsing the forum using my smartphone rather than tablet or PC and have to say, it is much better to use without the signatures.  With the expanded layout, some people’s lavish signatures take up way too much of the available screen space to the detriment of user friendliness. 

Obviously this is not an urgent priority at this time but some curbs on signature excesses would be appreciated down the line, Andy!

Phil

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, N15class said:

Nothing more portable than a smart phone. Unfortunately the site is not very good for them.  Least the old forum gave the opportunity to use the desktop version.

9 hours ago, N15class said:

Except you only get signatures on desktop, not mobile.

I think the way the old and new software handles mobiles is different - as far as I know, with the old software desktop and mobile pages were served up completely separately, and you could switch between them on the phone with the 'use desktop  version' option in your phone browser. The new software appears to serve up the same page to both phone and desktop but is reactive to page size and re-formats and hides or shows certain elements (e.g. the header-footer page number list, signatures)  depending on whether the page is narrow or wide - if you shrink the desktop window to something narrow (the trigger seems to be a bit under 800 pixels, at least on Chrome on my PC), you effectively get the phone version. I think there is therefore no longer a distinct 'desktop version' to use. 

With the old version I used to use the desktop version on the phone because the phone version had a lot of functionality stripped out - with the new site as far as I can see the desktop functionality mostly remains on the phone.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Free At Last said:

Has the 'Theme' just vanished?

Yes, Andy said he would remove the option.

It's very understandable, because when running a board such as this, having to maintain multiple theme versions is an absolute nightmare.

On the plus side, he has changed the text to a much darker grey, although still not quite solid black. But it is a lot clearer to read, for me at least. Thanks Andy.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

On the plus side, he has changed the text to a much darker grey, although still not quite solid black. But it is a lot clearer to read, for me at least. Thanks Andy.

I did try absolute black and it was a bit harsh so I've gone for a halfway house between where we were and where we are. I'm glad it's a bit better for you.

There's a lot more style tweaks to be done with button colours and text, box backgrounds etc.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

Not sure then Roy. When you guys are logging back in the second time how are you doing it ? If you are using an excisting bookmark, favorates or speedial that might be whats causing the problem ?  Any bookmark favorates or speedial pre forum upgrade will be looking for the old site and login details not the new ones. Try opening the browser. . Google Rmweb (at the moment google will probably still pull up an old page due to the number of hits but that wont matter)  click on the Rmweb home site and you should get to the home page. ..click on the sign in UNTICK the remember me and sign in ( If it doesn't accept the password change it and sign in) now DONT leave the page but sign out and try signing back in again if that works then bingo. . Create a NEW bookmark favorates or speeddial  and that should take you to where you need to be. . If not head for the pub !

Hello, just to clarify and add some more info. I was not using bookmarks and one of the devices that I used was brand new - no bookmarks, no cache.

Anyhow, I have found that if I try to log in using my email address and password, it will not work, if I use my screen name and password it will - I am now happy as I know what to do.

And for something also positive, I like the new format. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Yes, Andy said he would remove the option.

Martin.

44 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I did try absolute black and it was a bit harsh so I've gone for a halfway house between where we were and where we are. I'm glad it's a bit better for you.

There's a lot more style tweaks to be done with button colours and text, box backgrounds etc.

Problem is now that the notification of new posts that pop up at the bottom of the page has a black background and they're now unreadable.

• RMweb Gold

Hello, I'm assuming the indexing is also have an effect on tags, when viewing 'Unread Content' in 'Condensed View', it  seems to be really hit and miss as to whether any tags are actually displayed, it appears only one topic is actually showing any tags, but only ever shows one tag,

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Hello, just to clarify and add some more info. I was not using bookmarks and one of the devices that I used was brand new - no bookmarks, no cache.

Anyhow, I have found that if I try to log in using my email address and password, it will not work, if I use my screen name and password it will - I am now happy as I know what to do.

And for something also positive, I like the new format. Thanks.

Hope that helps.

Roy

Sorry Roy didn't pick up on that but it was mentioned in Andy's intro to the new software and I think at the beginning of this thread, that the new software doesn't use the email, it uses your user name to log in. I think also that Gordon said his problem was the gap in his name disappearing in the login box so it didn't recognise him, Once he restored the gap he was sorted  as well.Glad its all sorted for you  :yahoo_mini:

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Problem is now that the notification of new posts that pop up at the bottom of the page has a black background and they're now unreadable.

Notifications are showing up for me on the PC as white on dark grey -  the notification bar actually appears to be slightly transparent

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Sorry Roy didn't pick up on that but it was mentioned in Andy's intro to the new software and I think at the beginning of this thread, that the new software doesn't use the email, it uses your user name to log in. I think also that Gordon said his problem was the gap in his name disappearing in the login box so it didn't recognise him, Once he restored the gap he was sorted  as well.Glad its all sorted for you  :yahoo_mini:

Sorry, I didn't realise that as the box says Display Name or email address. I guess a typo that needs to be fixed at some point.

Best regards,

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, sharris said:

Notifications are showing up for me on the PC as white on dark grey -  the notification bar actually appears to be slightly transparent

The header shows as white but the content is still dark grey on my laptop.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

The header shows as white but the content is still dark grey on my laptop.

One thing often impacts another; bear with me as I work through tweaks.

• Thanks 1

Can only find my posts I am following by going to my profile then my activity then forums it is divided into two

sections topics and posts, unlike before I just clicked on my user name and everything showed up, I will just

stick with this though its a pain in the,   not going thru adjusting settings too much hassle give me the old site back any day.

Edited by paul 27

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Sorry, I didn't realise that as the box says Display Name or email address. I guess a typo that needs to be fixed at some point.

You've found something which I hadn't realised and which could be causing be causing some of the login problems people are experiencing - I just need to find where the flam'n software has stored that phrase so I can edit it.

• Funny 1

I'm getting the hang of the new format now, massive thanks to all those helping sort stuff out. I'd recommend anyone to read through the FAQ's thread, that helped me loads.

Thanks guys.

Steve.

• Like 5

• Moderators
50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

You've found something which I hadn't realised and which could be causing be causing some of the login problems people are experiencing - I just need to find where the flam'n software has stored that phrase so I can edit it.

Now found and adjusted - which explains why I was getting so many people who couldn't login as the system had old email addresses and they were trying to login with newer ones.

• Like 3