New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Just to let you know Andy, though you may know already, the missing attachments are getting into their correct places.   I've just checked my Green Ayre thread and everything is back in the correct places right to page 1.   The only things that have gone missing are photos from Flickr that someone posted and I think they may had gone from his flickr account.

Thanks for all the hard work, i'm getting used to it now and it seems to be starting to work well.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Tricky Dicky said:

Apologies if someone has mentioned this already in the 26 pages of posts but can it be possible to restore the one button press to get you back to the home page.

Richard

Just click on the logo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Tricky Dicky said:

Apologies if someone has mentioned this already in the 26 pages of posts but can it be possible to restore the one button press to get you back to the home page.

Richard

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Just click on the logo.

Or Home in the bottom left corner.

540213281_Homebutton.JPG.5027586c1b393ffd29739aad4b7b0774.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
On 01/02/2019 at 15:28, Dunsignalling said:

One: what happened to the facility to ignore a topic? Has it gone, or have I just not worked out how to do it in the new format? 

The Ignore Topic function has now been reinstated.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

I've now got the new software set up to show me a "new from last visit" list using a URL.  But there is an annoyance in Firefox.  If I access a thread from the list,  read the new messages,  then hit the back arrow to go back to the list,  I'm taken back to the head of the list.  Then I have to scroll back down the list to try and find where I was.   In the old software,  a read thread was still in the list but greyed and we also had the list in pages as well,  so I could find where I was in a list.  But in this new version,  the thread entry is deleted once you have read it and I am left having to start at the top of the list again and try and find out where I had got to. :-)    When I back arrow out of a thread,  for a fraction of a second I can see that I am returned to my position in the list,  then I'm set back to the top of the list.   I've also used Chrome to do the same thing and it does not jump back to the top of the list.

Jim

PS and I don't like this font - I keep thinking I haven't capitalised my name. :-)

Edited by flubrush

flubrush Jim, does the same thing happen if you open the thread in a new tab (right-click - open in new tab)? That might be a solution for preventing the list from jumping around.

Edited by eastwestdivide

Hi Mods/Admins

Two relatively minor items. Is it possible to have more information given in the e-mail notification when someone reacts to your post. Currently I see the attached image in my in-box (previously I stated what the raection was). Opening the e-mail tells me who reacted and what thread they reacted in but not what the reaction was. Sometimes its just nice and fuzzy to get a like or an agree reaction but now if I am desperate to know (!) I need to check the thread.

In case its e-mail software related I use a GMX account which is web-based.

(Pic below)
Image19.jpg.d59080129ba48c3d702438f1d098e22d.jpg

Second item, the options to react to a post now seem to be limited depending on the "weighting" of previous reactions. Sometimes I'd like to choose an option no-one else has, so might we be able to revert to the full range of reactions at all times please and not the weighted reduced options? I know its a minor thing but it seems counterproductive to offer a range of options but then limit them just because of a trend in prior "opinions" (yes, I know they're not really opinions but you get what I mean).

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Two relatively minor items. Is it possible to have more information given in the e-mail notification when someone reacts to your post. Currently I see the attached image in my in-box (previously I stated what the raection was). Opening the e-mail tells me who reacted and what thread they reacted in but not what the reaction was. Sometimes its just nice and fuzzy to get a like or an agree reaction but now if I am desperate to know (!) I need to check the thread.

Second item, the options to react to a post now seem to be limited depending on the "weighting" of previous reactions. Sometimes I'd like to choose an option no-one else has, so might we be able to revert to the full range of reactions at all times please and not the weighted reduced options? I know its a minor thing but it seems counterproductive to offer a range of options but then limit them just because of a trend in prior "opinions" (yes, I know they're not really opinions but you get what I mean).

1. Unlikely that's possible - it's intended to make you visit the post/topic.

2. You don't just have to choose a reaction (as they're known) that's already been used, mouse over the Thumbs Up icon and the full array should display.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks.

1  Will the ignored list from the previous RMweb be observed?

2  Where will the ignored topic listing be accessible?

1. Probably not; it's installed as a new application.

2. Account settings > Ignored Topics

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I like the new Ignore Topic function. A lot quicker than the old RMweb.

Oh. Now that you've re-inserted the notice 'this topic will not appear etc etc' and we have to wait for that notice, the Ignore Topic Function has become as slow as the old RMweb was.

New function can be quicker than the old RMweb with a nifty bit of mouse movement.

Edited by Miss Prism
Function has been altered - arggghhh!!!!
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

1. Unlikely that's possible - it's intended to make you visit the post/topic.

2. You don't just have to choose a reaction (as they're known) that's already been used, mouse over the Thumbs Up icon and the full array should display.

1. Okay, one for the useless bin then. The previous arrangement was more useful. When something useful gets replaced by something less useful that's not a positive change. I don't need to be prompted to visit a thread, I can choose to do that on my own.
2. Odd. I only raised the issue because the full set of options was not very definitely not showing earlier - several options were greyed out. I have just gone back to the several posts I noticed this on and now the full range of reactions is showing.

Must be the time of the year. Our local Tesco’s had a power problem and was shut early on Saturday. They opened on Sunday but the fridges were bare.

Lad on the till told us they had to throw away £100,000 of frozen food....

It’s at times like this you’d think a charity organisation would step in, but I guess fears of getting sued meant it went in the bin.

Anyway, I digress......

Edited by gordon s
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, flubrush said:

I've now got the new software set up to show me a "new from last visit" list using a URL.  But there is an annoyance in Firefox.  If I access a thread from the list,  read the new messages,  then hit the back arrow to go back to the list,  I'm taken back to the head of the list.  Then I have to scroll back down the list to try and find where I was.   In the old software,  a read thread was still in the list but greyed and we also had the list in pages as well,  so I could find where I was in a list.  But in this new version,  the thread entry is deleted once you have read it and I am left having to start at the top of the list again and try and find out where I had got to. :-)    When I back arrow out of a thread,  for a fraction of a second I can see that I am returned to my position in the list,  then I'm set back to the top of the list.   I've also used Chrome to do the same thing and it does not jump back to the top of the list.

Jim

PS and I don't like this font - I keep thinking I haven't capitalised my name. :-)

Just want to check - have you got 'read status' set to 'everything' in your custom activity feed?

This prevents topics disappearing from the list when you have read them.

1259447036_Screenshot2019-02-04at19_16_17.png.3ee3674f0276ec813387d89f451a5034.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Thanks.

1  Will the ignored list from the previous RMweb be observed?

2  Where will the ignored topic listing be accessible?

It seems to have remembered my Ignored topics. Not only that it actually works properly and completely hides it from the threads listing, much nicer. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

flubrush Jim, does the same thing happen if you open the thread in a new tab (right-click - open in new tab)? That might be a solution for preventing the list from jumping around.

I'll have to try later.  This visit is using Chrome and if I go over to Firefox just now I won't have a longish "new post" list to try. :-)

Jim.

Edited by flubrush

33 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Just want to check - have you got 'read status' set to 'everything' in your custom activity feed?

This prevents topics disappearing from the list when you have read them.

1259447036_Screenshot2019-02-04at19_16_17.png.3ee3674f0276ec813387d89f451a5034.png

I've had a dig around all the menus I can find and I haven't hit anything that hints at "Read Status" yet.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, flubrush said:

I've had a dig around all the menus I can find and I haven't hit anything that hints at "Read Status" yet.

Jim.

If you look in, say, Unread Content you should see, third one along, Read statues, the down arrow to the right gives various options which you can select and save.

Capture.JPG.75940b76cf839fafb5d186a2201a6c7d.JPG

David

• Like 2