New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Well Andy - the new software seems to be able to be tweaked to give a very usable - for me at least - system. I'm sure if people looked around at the FAQ and even the forum itself they'd discover new ways of doing things, even if that's temporary until further new features are rolled out.

I know from personal experience how difficult upgrades can be (in my previous job I did this sort of things many times for various hospitals around the country) and how soul destroying it can be when all people do is moan. Not everyone is going to be 100% happy but nothing seems to be a red card and spending time using the forum and seeing what various options do yields benefits. I looked at some other forums in the blackout and found them to - mostly - be pretty useless for real information (some good modelling but little real skill transfer / assistance). I found one forum which takes an age to load and some with very little updates.

So a big Thanks from me to you and anyone who assisted - it's looking good and I believe it will look better as time goes on and features are added.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Chamby said:

I have just been browsing the forum using my smartphone rather than tablet or PC and have to say, it is much better to use without the signatures.  With the expanded layout, some people’s lavish signatures take up way too much of the available screen space to the detriment of user friendliness. 

Obviously this is not an urgent priority at this time but some curbs on signature excesses would be appreciated down the line, Andy!

Phil

I believe there is an option in the new software - I think it under your account preferences Phil, where you can turn off people's signatures on the desktop version so that you don't see them at all if you want.  By that I mean you don't see ANYONE's signature.

Rich

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

I believe there is an option in the new software - I think it under your account preferences Phil, where you can turn off people's signatures on the desktop version so that you don't see them at all if you want.  By that I mean you don't see ANYONE's signature.

Account Settings > Signature > [turn off] View Signatures?

• Informative/Useful 1

38 minutes ago, DaveF said:

If you look in, say, Unread Content you should see, third one along, Read statues, the down arrow to the right gives various options which you can select and save.

Capture.JPG.75940b76cf839fafb5d186a2201a6c7d.JPG

David

David,

I've tried ticking and unticking all the options under "Read Status",  but each time Back Arrow goes to top of the list.

I'll stick with Chrome for RMWEB - it's easier. :-)

Now back to Fusion 360 for some light relief. :-)

Jim.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, flubrush said:

David,

I've tried ticking and unticking all the options under "Read Status",  but each time Back Arrow goes to top of the list.

Jim.

But did you save it as a custom stream and then set as default stream?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, flubrush said:

Hi Jim,

For the browser Back button to work, you must have actually clicked on the page at the position you want to jump back to. Simply scrolling down to a position doesn't work. You don't have to click on anything in particular, just a bit of blank space will do.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, flubrush said:

David,

Jim.

You also have to click "Save" and then name the stream, then either set it as default or use the drop down menu in "My activity Streams to access it.

31 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

When trying to follow a thread, I got the message:

"You cannot use this option because you have not chosen how the notification should be sent. Notification Settings"

But I think I have done that, haven't I?  :

rmweb-notification-settings.png.98b779facc3e46697178c9eae2b60fc5.png

Not quite. That sets “what” is sent, not “how”.

Look further down that same screen for options against each notification to be provided by email and/or the on screen notifications list. 

Edited by Kiwi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

"You cannot use this option because you have not chosen how the notification should be sent. Notification Settings"

Go to: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/notifications/options/

and scroll down. Select Notification List (onscreen) or Email for each item as you prefer.

cheers,

Martin.

6 hours ago, AY Mod said:

1. Unlikely that's possible - it's intended to make you visit the post/topic.

2. You don't just have to choose a reaction (as they're known) that's already been used, mouse over the Thumbs Up icon and the full array should display.

Doesn't work for me, just allows the like option.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

Hovering doesn't work (Firefox). It is necessary to actually click the "thumbs up" icon. The full row of icons then appears, and you can click the required one.

Martin.

3 hours ago, Corbs said:

But did you save it as a custom stream and then set as default stream?

I tried several times but seemed to have lost the ability to save a custom stream.   I had earlier saved a custom "new since last visit" activity so I knew it was possible,  but couldn't find the button,  or whatever,  this time round.   No worries,  I can live without it.

Jim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

For the browser Back button to work, you must have actually clicked on the page at the position you want to jump back to. Simply scrolling down to a position doesn't work. You don't have to click on anything in particular, just a bit of blank space will do.

Martin,

I would have thought that clicking on the round or star shaped icon to go to the first new message would have done that.

Jim.

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, flubrush said:

Martin,

I would have thought that clicking on the round or star shaped icon to go to the first new message would have done that.

Jim.

Hi Jim,

It is working for me. After clicking the dot or star, the Back button (in Firefox 65.0) jumps back to the position where it was clicked.

This issue of the Back button not working properly came up elsewhere in some other software support. Several users report the Back button not working, but try as I may I can't get it to fail here. It works every time on all web sites in all browsers. So it's a bit of a puzzle. When in doubt I tend to blame some of the more aggressive anti-virus programs out there for preventing stuff working as intended.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Morning gents, a small query here. I am having trouble making the dropdown menu stick long enough to allow a selection, as illustrated. Clicking elsewhere on the page first does not help. Is the issue my touchpad (no problems normally) or the software, I wonder?

ok.gif.5d241fc605839518da649f553995ace6.gif

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, flubrush said:

I tried several times but seemed to have lost the ability to save a custom stream.   I had earlier saved a custom "new since last visit" activity so I knew it was possible,  but couldn't find the button,  or whatever,  this time round.   No worries,  I can live without it.

Jim

1) Have you exceeded your limit for custom streams? How many are on your list under 'custom streams' in the drop-down? In my screenshot below I have one - 'T H I C C Threads'

1168724955_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_14_54.png.463faae1962dd8056985c25717470ff4.png

2) Did you set the stream you wanted to 'default' by clicking the little arrow next to the stream name so it turns green? This makes the stream appear at the top right of the website.

1332766327_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_15_17.png.176592d2cc647371764070881629067c.png

3) 'Save as new stream' should be next to the stream options when you fiddle around with them.

1709600867_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_14_37.png.9c1251fac603eeafdecad03819f49d94.png

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Paul Cram said:

It should look like this normally...

1729351594_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_20_08.png.b62180c149e1ff2aa4ddf89cca3daf01.png

... and like this when you hover over it with your mouse. If your computer or internet is steam powered you may need to wait a moment for this to happen.

642142913_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_20_14.png.fd143f4242664001d5cf21476e9a3d01.png

On mobile it is similar but you gently tap the 'like' button to bring up the options.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Morning gents, a small query here. I am having trouble making the dropdown menu stick long enough to allow a selection, as illustrated. Clicking elsewhere on the page first does not help. Is the issue my touchpad (no problems normally) or the software, I wonder?

I've not observed that when I was testing (I did use to have that problem in the Admin area on the old software which I used to get around with a long press on the top of the menu and then the list used to stay up) but will try and investigate further.

• Thanks 1