New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators

It looks like the indexing has completed so all attachments and quotes should now be formatted correctly. I need to cast an eye over post counts and reputation scores etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hovering doesn't work (Firefox). It is necessary to actually click the "thumbs up" icon. The full row of icons then appears, and you can click the required one.

Martin.

Firefox 65.0, 64 bit works as described - i.e hover and the row appears.

For those who simply want to like a post, just click the thumbs up, no need to wait for the row to appear - a single click will like a post. (answering a comment made early ion the thread that it now needs two clicks, or a hover and a click  to like a post)

Edited by beast66606
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It looks like the indexing has completed so all attachments and quotes should now be formatted correctly. I need to cast an eye over post counts and reputation scores etc.

It seems to be a bit mixed up at the moment.

reputation.JPG.63142d4c5a067e7927c8edec0c2da977.JPG

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

It seems to be a bit mixed up at the moment.

reputation.JPG.63142d4c5a067e7927c8edec0c2da977.JPG

A nice psychological insight of you there Wurzel; you take more than you give and you don't think other people are very funny. :lol: Perhaps it's taken your location into account?

I think what it has done is take the number of Likes or the total of Like + Agree etc from the previous version and lumped them together and the other categories are only counted since Friday. But the 3,322 is wrong (should be 13,513) - I could manually adjust that figure and then it would count on from that.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

But the 3,322 is wrong (should be 13,513) - I could manually adjust that figure and then it would count on from that.

Ooh, it's got a recount button in the admin area - I did yours individually and it came up with the correct figure.

It's got an option to recount everyone so I shall set that running now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just done a quick check and it seems that notifications are taking about 30 mins to get through to me. They are coming direct to my gmail account without waiting around for POP servers etc etc. Is this normal or is there a backlog of emails in the system somewhere?

oh that is odd, Beast's post notified via email almost immediately ........

Edited by RedgateModels

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Is this normal or is there a backlog of emails in the system somewhere?

Not sure on that yet - I have seen bizarre behaviour where I don't get any notification for a while if I've picked up the content from an inline notification whereas I've had near immediate email notification if I've not been active in the other account. Maybe it's just cleverer than we are?

• Thanks 1

One of the big reasons for not liking this new site is that previously when going through new content you were always sent back to where you got to when reading a post - now you are sent back to the beginning of the new content so you have to trawl through the whole list again - this is not good.

Edited by meil

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

A nice psychological insight of you there Wurzel; you take more than you give and you don't think other people are very funny. :lol: Perhaps it's taken your location into account?

I think what it has done is take the number of Likes or the total of Like + Agree etc from the previous version and lumped them together and the other categories are only counted since Friday. But the 3,322 is wrong (should be 13,513) - I could manually adjust that figure and then it would count on from that.

There's plenty of funny ones on here...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Admin,

now that it seems the indexing is complete, there still seems to be an issue with tags being displayed. When viewing Unread Content in condensed view, only one topic ever seems to display a tag, but it's only ever one tag even though the topic has many tags.

Otherwise, I think the new format is so much better, thanks very much for all the hard work,

Cheers Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, meil said:

One of the big reasons for not liking this new site is that previously when going through new content you were always sent back to where you got to when reading a post - now you are sent back to the beginning of the new content so you have to trawl through the whole list again - this is not good.

I've never used the 'New Content' option, but I take an overall view.

I find that all groups now are nicely highlighted, when each one has something new, meaning unread. This is much improved over the previous version, where you had to go by times/dates.

Starting to not miss the old version at all!

Edit to add, is the thread message numbering coming back, now indexing is completed? I guess that was a problem, i.e. if its not indexed, it can't number!

Edited by kevinlms
  • Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Andy 53B said:

now that it seems the indexing is complete, there still seems to be an issue with tags being displayed. When viewing Unread Content in condensed view, only one topic ever seems to display a tag, but it's only ever one tag even though the topic has many tags.

I need to take a look at that, I noticed it yesterday; definitely something which falls into the PITA category of fixes.

3 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Is it my imagination or are the like symbols etc much bigger than a few days ago?....

I did make them a little larger and clearer yesterday and coloured to match the theme.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Chamby said:

I have just been browsing the forum using my smartphone rather than tablet or PC and have to say, it is much better to use without the signatures.  With the expanded layout, some people’s lavish signatures take up way too much of the available screen space to the detriment of user friendliness. 

Obviously this is not an urgent priority at this time but some curbs on signature excesses would be appreciated down the line, Andy!

Phil

Signatures can be either totally, or selectively by member, hidden, just click on the x down arrow in their signature.

Edited by dhjgreen
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, meil said:

The tricky thing with this is that it seems to happen for some people but not others - I've just experimented by scrolling wayyy down my new content feed, clicking on a link, then pressing 'back', and it takes me back to exactly where I left off (didn't have to click on the page).

I am using Google Chrome on a Mac. What browser are you using?

OR 

Are you talking about going to the latest bit in the thread, in which case, have you read the FAQ thread? It shows you how you can go to either the first post, the latest post, or the latest unread post by clicking on different buttons in your activity feed.

Click the link below to go to the FAQ thread.

Edited by Corbs

26 minutes ago, meil said:

If you click on the star or dot in your the new content thread it will take you to the newest unread reply. Plus theres still the skip to start/end option next to the page numbers.

New software definitely seems to have a better user interface  - quoting directly from highlights is annoying, but that's because of my bad habit of highlighting things as I read them! I really must try and figure out how to configure activity feeds, that feels like it should be a useful feature.

Thanks for making the step, I'm amazed that the old software made it this long!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Signatures can be either totally, or selectively by member, hidden, just click on the x down arrow in their signature.

Yes this works, thanks.  However be aware that once you have clicked on the ‘x’ and the sig disappears, the ‘x’ disappears with it,  so you can’t similarly click to re-instate the sig.  :unsure:

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Chamby said:

However be aware that once you have clicked on the ‘x’ and the sig disappears, the ‘x’ disappears with it,  so you can’t similarly click to re-instate the sig.  :unsure:

You can recover this by clicking on your ID dropdown and go to Account Settings. In the right hand Other Settings panel select Ignored Users and you'l be able to undo any elements from anyone you are ignoring.

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Corbs said:

1) Have you exceeded your limit for custom streams? How many are on your list under 'custom streams' in the drop-down? In my screenshot below I have one - 'T H I C C Threads'

2) Did you set the stream you wanted to 'default' by clicking the little arrow next to the stream name so it turns green? This makes the stream appear at the top right of the website.

1332766327_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_15_17.png.176592d2cc647371764070881629067c.png

3) 'Save as new stream' should be next to the stream options when you fiddle around with them.

1709600867_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_14_37.png.9c1251fac603eeafdecad03819f49d94.png

1.  There's a limit?   When I originally was digging around and trying things out I managed to generate four custom streams.  I've tried to find a way to erase three of them but no luck so far.   the reason for generating four was that there was no indicator that the version had been saved.    I only found out when I investigated the "Content Types".

2.  Can't find an arrow next to the stream.

3. "Save as new stream" does not now appear - it did originally - might be as a result of a limit (See. 1)

It looks to me as though this software has been written to suit pads and phones and those of us dinosaurs who still use desktops will have to learn a new way of interfacting with software. :D

I also note another recent message with the same original fault that I found and it looks as though developers will have to pay more attention to different browser types - pretty well as it was in the early 90s when there were differences between Netscape and Internet Explorer, and developers had to test out  on both before releasing web sites.

Jim.

Edited by flubrush

• RMweb Gold

Something interesting on login Andy, I just signed in from firefox for the first time to see if the sign in with user name or email had changed to just username and it has so your rummaging in the gubbins paid off !  But quite by accident I discovered that the username no longer appears to be case sensitive ?  I can sign in using mattc6911 Mattc6911 and even MATTC6911  is that a setting  ?  Or are you sitting like a spider in its web 'feeling' each member logging in and opening the door personally ? :blinkclear:

Also like to say thanks for all your hard work Andy, probably been a trying few days but it seams to be calming down to a dull roar now, this thread is definately slowing down lol and well done to those members who have jumped in to help with advice and information  I'm finding the new site much more user friendly on a tablet, just need to tweak some settings in streams and notifications and settle back to watch my favourite threads :dirol_mini:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, flubrush said:

1.  There's a limit?   When I originally was digging around and trying things out I managed to generate four custom streams.  I've tried to find a way to erase three of them but no luck so far.   the reason for generating four was that there was no indicator that the version had been saved.    I only found out when I investigated the "Content Types".

3. "Save as new stream" does not now appear - it did originally - might be as a result of a limit (See. 1)

It looks to me as though this software has been written to suit pads and phones and those of us dinosaurs who still use desktops will have to learn a new way of interfacting with software. :D

I also note another recent message with the same original fault that I found and it looks as though developers will have to pay more attention to different browser types - pretty well as it was in the early 90s when there were differences between Netscape and Internet Explorer, and developers had to test out  on both before releasing web sites.

Jim.

1 - open the custom stream you wish to delete or modify by accessing it through the drop-down

2 - next to the custom stream name will be three buttons (pictured). The first one lets you edit the stream, the second one deletes it, and the third one (the green tick) sets it as your default

1642486735_Screenshot2019-02-05at08_15_17.png.dd022693c2d00383cfc1467c9aa22e42.png

Note: this only works on custom streams you have modified, not default streams.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Mattc6911 said:

Something interesting on login Andy, I just signed in from firefox for the first time to see if the sign in with user name or email had changed to just username and it has so your rummaging in the gubbins paid off !  But quite by accident I discovered that the username no longer appears to be case sensitive ?  I can sign in using mattc6911 Mattc6911 and even MATTC6911  is that a setting  ?  Or are you sitting like a spider in its web 'feeling' each member logging in and opening the door personally ? :blinkclear:

Also like to say thanks for all your hard work Andy, probably been a trying few days but it seams to be calming down to a dull roar now, this thread is definately slowing down lol and well done to those members who have jumped in to help with advice and information  I'm finding the new site much more user friendly on a tablet, just need to tweak some settings in streams and notifications and settle back to watch my favourite threads :dirol_mini:

Not sure about the case behaviour to be honest Matt; I have been telling people to make sure they do use the right cases but the problem is probably in other things rather than that.

It has been trying at times, I don't mind helping folk who have specific issues but I really can't abide doom-mongers heckling from the sidelines. Cantona had the right idea.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, flubrush said:

Jim.

Hi Jim, in addition to my post on the previous page, I should probably add that you access custom streams via this menu - they are at the bottom of the menu.

437544280_Screenshot2019-02-05at11_08_12.png.9465e806fc3dd494bdb5f93140c0e3d0.png

Edited by Corbs