New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

@AY Mod - I may have found the reason why some users report the status sidebar doesn't work.

If I'm on the forum page I can see other statuses but there's no text box for me to write one.

1757923835_Screenshot2019-02-05at11_30_24.png.39afb6db4d55b7e5973de90e79d4e764.png

But if I am on my feed, the text box is there.

2099905877_Screenshot2019-02-05at11_30_39.png.04fe85f45910ddc0246efc84b45464f9.png

Edit: what the blazes!? It's back on the main page now. Skullduggery afoot methinks.

Edited by Corbs
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Ooh, it's got a recount button in the admin area - I did yours individually and it came up with the correct figure.

It's got an option to recount everyone so I shall set that running now.

Has anyone else lost ratings after the software update.  Before Andy did the recount I had 4, now I have around 800; prior to the update I had around 2500?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dhjgreen said:

Has anyone else lost ratings after the software update.  Before Andy did the recount I had 4, now I have around 800; prior to the update I had around 2500?

Before the recount I had 53, I now have just shy of 4,000 before the update I had 5,000+. It seems the indexing didn't pick up all the rating from the past (example, I now only have 5 "Thanks" ratings, and I had a lot more of them before), but oh well. It honestly won't bother me, just have to get back to helping people to bring it back up!

Gary

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, beast66606 said:

Firefox 65.0, 64 bit works as described - i.e hover and the row appears.

Not for me it doesn't. Using Firefox 65.0 on Windows10, 64-bit.

Sometimes when hovering the full row flashes briefly, but not long enough to make a selection, and not every time. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon shows the row properly, and I can click the selected icon. Or click the "thumbs up" icon again.

Something is clearly amiss in the event listener on that element.

But why not simply show the full row from the start? Sometimes web designers add flashy bits just for the sake of it.

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Corbs said:

The tricky thing with this is that it seems to happen for some people but not others - I've just experimented by scrolling wayyy down my new content feed, clicking on a link, then pressing 'back', and it takes me back to exactly where I left off (didn't have to click on the page).

It's working correctly for me.

But a point to bear in mind -- if you list unread content, and then read it, it is no longer unread so will be removed from the list. This may explain why the Back button goes to the top of the page if the list has been refreshed.

Martin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, dhjgreen said:

Yes, similar thing here, there’s still a lot that hasn’t migrated over yet.

Phil

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, RedgateModels said:

I've been sent two yellows today, does that mean I'm off ........

Disqualified from the next round I think you'll find.

I've removed the link from below the text box so they don't get used accidentally.

• Like 1

Oh, I see. I've been sent a sticky note. Hmmm. Sort of a 'quickie PM'. It obscures some of the top right-hand nav functions, which is not particularly sensible, but at least they can be closed straight away.

If more than one is sent, do they just pile up in layers?

Could be a recipe for all sorts of mayhem.

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

It's working correctly for me.

But a point to bear in mind -- if you list unread content, and then read it, it is no longer unread so will be removed from the list. This may explain why the Back button goes to the top of the page if the list has been refreshed.

Martin.

That's true, although you can create a custom unread content stream by selecting 'Everything' to stop 'read' content disappearing.

627238449_Screenshot2019-02-05at14_58_24.png.a85f9b504faf4f1d1ae86dbba48ffe31.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very nice upgrade - especially the activity streams - thanks Andy!

One point I haven't seen raised yet - though Mikkel has led the way -  is indexing tags in blog posts.  My blog entries were carefully tagged in the old forum software, but those tags now seem to have disappeared, just empty tag fields on each post.  Yet tags work on forum posts (I think).

Before I go through and add my tags again, is this a 'feature', or has something not caught up or been configured yet?  And do blogs no longer have any easy method of listing their contents in a side bar?  Not a whinge, just wish to understand.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Having had my login automatically changed by the upgrade - I just had to work out what it was - and my ratings wiped away I assumed they were connected. That the correlation between my previous login and ratings wasn't carried over to the new one. However, my ratings have recovered a bit since yesterday so perhaps they will return eventually.

Whatever the case I find the new site design useful, and especially with smaller devices such as tablets/phones. Although I have a large screen phone trying to view the old site on it was difficult, the new one nice and clear and easy.

Izzy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Normal for me - not noticeably slow.

3 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

Periodically it may be a little whilst work on the back end is still happening. 

It speeded up almost as soon as I had posted.:pardon:

I was just going to click on the smilie when another new post popped up and I ended up clicking that instead of the smilie. No worry, it happens all the time on Facebook.:jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Platform 1 said:

And do blogs no longer have any easy method of listing their contents in a side bar?  Not a whinge, just wish to understand.

I believe that the old side bars are not currently available but the new software does have a rather nice function to build a sidebar in a blog, which I think is a lot easier than the old version. It actually gave me the impetus to overhaul my blog.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hovering doesn't work (Firefox). It is necessary to actually click the "thumbs up" icon. The full row of icons then appears, and you can click the required one.

Martin.

Thanks Martin that explains it. It does briefly appear when I first hover over it nut I couldn't get it to come back.