New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

A question about 'Activity - Content I follow'.

I expected this just to show me each of the threads (& now blogs) that I follow, but I'm seeing every post in each of the threads - which makes the list very long and not as easy to pick out the individual topics.

Is there a setting I've missed that will sort this?

I've got a custom stream, and was about to set a 2nd one for 'content I follow', when I saw the default version.

Stu

Edit: Ah, the Content I posted in does that...

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

A question about 'Activity - Content I follow'.

I expected this just to show me each of the threads (& now blogs) that I follow, but I'm seeing every post in each of the threads - which makes the list very long and not as easy to pick out the individual topics.

Is there a setting I've missed that will sort this?

I've got a custom stream, and was about to set a 2nd one for 'content I follow', when I saw the default version.

Stu

Edit: Ah, the Content I posted in does that...

If you click the 'condensed' option it makes it more manageable. (see screenshot)

177263849_Screenshot2019-02-05at16_25_18.png.f1f3e1ef5034b3d1d0216706e68cbdbd.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've not observed that when I was testing (I did use to have that problem in the Admin area on the old software which I used to get around with a long press on the top of the menu and then the list used to stay up) but will try and investigate further.

Thanks Andy. Since noone else seems to have the problem it's probably at this end. No need for you to spend time on it. I might even get myself a mouse, haven't used one for ages :D

• Friendly/supportive 2

The old version of the forum had the option of writing a post using text or html. The text version was useful at times, especially when quotes were playing up. I've just noticed it was misssing when I couldn't work out how to split a quoted post up so I could reply in the middle of it. e,g

ABC said: erjhjhgld

My repy

krhgfierhgoer

My reply

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, Platform 1 said:

Thanks Corbs,

I found that but it looks as though you have to compile it manually - is that right?  Just assemble a list using links to entries?

Yes, looks like it.  Some bloggers had saved copies of their old sidebar indexes in word documents (including all the links). Unfortunately, we haven't yet found a way of pasting them back into the new sidebar in a way that works. Pasting directly from a word document doesn't work, and converting the word document to html first doesn't either because the code for links etc used here is a bit different. I was lucky in that I had copied the source code from the sidebar on old RMweb, so could just paste mine straight in.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I had copied the source code from the sidebar on old RMweb, so could just paste

Very forward-thinking!  My contents list was just the old tag-driven feature, so I'll need to do some writing...  Miss the old 'tag cloud' thingy too.

Thanks Mikkel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Another aspect to consider is the Show Me filter and select Content Items Only rather than comments etc, you should then only get one entry based on the most recent activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I seem to have lost a load of topics I was following on the old forum. Is there anything that can be done or shall I just go find em all again?

steve

• Friendly/supportive 2

What has happened to the old "Content I Follow"...?!  I know there is a new "stream" of the same name but I just want to see a list of the topics with unread content and then go to the first unread post in that topic. It seems now that I have to scroll the entire list of unread posts to find the first unread one in any given topic, which is ludicrous. Please, reinstate the old "Content I Follow" view or tell me how to find it!

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, benjy14 said:

What has happened to the old "Content I Follow"...?!  I know there is a new "stream" of the same name but I just want to see a list of the topics with unread content and then go to the first unread post in that topic. It seems now that I have to scroll the entire list of unread posts to find the first unread one in any given topic, which is ludicrous. Please, reinstate the old "Content I Follow" view or tell me how to find it!

Well, having altered some of the options, the problem seems to have sorted itself and I now only see one entry per unread topic. If I figure out what I changed to make it work, I'll let you know!

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I seem to have lost a load of topics I was following on the old forum. Is there anything that can be done or shall I just go find em all again?

steve

If you go to your name (top right) and click on it there is a manu that includes something like "manage followed content".  There you will find a list of topic you follow.

1 hour ago, Andy Hayter said:

If you go to your name (top right) and click on it there is a manu that includes something like "manage followed content".  There you will find a list of topic you follow.

Thanks Andy, I did look there and I had lost some, I only found out when reading the topics and I had to click follow again. 

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
On 02/02/2019 at 17:06, MarshLane said:

Hmm, interesting. Id say it would be a setting that would be set site wide, rather than per user.  This is how our last couple of messages are displaying - yours is different to this?

1849386534_Screenshot2019-02-02at17_04_55.png.e095d8ac4728ebea7284f83d046dc788.png

I've figured out what is happening. If I whitelist this site in AdBlock Plus, then I get "Share this post", but I get all the adverts as well. If I block all adverts then I don't get it. The same applies to the curved arrow at the right of the header to the quote(s) below it.

I'm not happy, because I don't want to see adverts on my screen. 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Budgie said:

I'm not happy, because I don't want to see adverts on my screen. 

Would you rather pay for RMWeb? Adverts are what keep it going, and as I understand it still runs at a loss. It is one of very few sites I have whitelisted in AdBlock Plus, and I have never found the ads to be intrusive, or irrelevant.

Gary

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Would you rather pay for RMWeb? Adverts are what keep it going, and as I understand it still runs at a loss. It is one of very few sites I have whitelisted in AdBlock Plus, and I have never found the ads to be intrusive, or irrelevant.

Gary

To be honest, I don't mind contributing to the costs of running this site. I have done that with some other sites I use; it seems a small price to pay for not being bothered by adverts.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Budgie said:

To be honest, I don't mind contributing to the costs of running this site. I have done that with some other sites I use; it seems a small price to pay for not being bothered by adverts.

and what about people that cannot afford too, or won't contribute? If paying for site access was the norm I think you would find very little on RMWeb worth paying for, or are you happy to cover the entire cost? Websites this size are not cheap to keep running.

Having some relevant adverts on screen, in very reasonable places, is a very small price to pay for a resource as useful RMWeb

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

Like others, I would be agreeable to contribute to the running of RM, if the ads can't make it work.  However, its either or, certainly not both.  I can easily ignore ads as done on TV and other media so they are not really a bother.

Brian.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed a little thing. . Andy not sure if you have just added it. . But right at the end of a topic, after the last post, scrolling to bottom of page I see a  content I follow button on the right, so no need to go to top of page to get back to my content 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Y said:

Thought I'd try the ability to share a Stream which shows the settings I've found of most use to me - https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/138/

Sharing streams, now that is clever. I can see potential for that. Especially if people start using the tags for threads.

Some really obscure streams could be set up. "Pete's stream of Namibian Narrow Gauge layouts built by Iron Maiden fans in the 50-60 age group"

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Well, after three days of getting nowhere with the contents side of things I sat down and read through all 27 pages , which has been most helpful, especially when I discovered that the top of the page,with its symbols, was not displaying on my screen - sorting that got things going for me and I now have it working as a VNC to all purposes - thanks to all who have posted creative pointers here. One question though; this is what I see when I click on to forums and CIF -

ikyyh.jpg.09b84023effc04cafd1efcf4450837c0.jpg

How do you hide the status updates column and expand the main part of the screen, as was possible on the previous version?