New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Sharing streams, now that is clever. I can see potential for that. Especially if people start using the tags for threads.

Some really obscure streams could be set up. "Pete's stream of Namibian Narrow Gauge layouts built by Iron Maiden fans in the 50-60 age group"

Bu@@er, someone's already done it... :o

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Budgie said:

I've figured out what is happening. If I whitelist this site in AdBlock Plus, then I get "Share this post", but I get all the adverts as well. If I block all adverts then I don't get it. The same applies to the curved arrow at the right of the header to the quote(s) below it.

I'm not happy, because I don't want to see adverts on my screen. 

Ah that sounds like the ad blocker software is thinking its an advert for some reason .. to be honest if so, that more the fault of AdBlock Plus than the forum software I'd have thought .. but im a little confused - I don't get or see any adverts on rmWeb and I don't have any ad blocking software?

Rich

11 hours ago, dhjgreen said:

Has anyone else lost ratings after the software update.  Before Andy did the recount I had 4, now I have around 800; prior to the update I had around 2500?

Me too.

It was on 1200+ before the update dropped to 139, now at 435 I think it is today. Not serious, but I'm starting to feel victimised as the same thing happened at the last software update, except that time I lost everything.

28 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Am I doing something wrong?

Yes - ignoring Andys request that everyone first review the contents of this thread and / or the FAQ topic before asking questions already answered, in this case multiple times. Sorry to be blunt, but I don't share Andys amazing patience. 

Once again:

For start of unread replies click on the dot or asterix left of the post title

For the actual post, click on the time stamp right of the title. 

For the start of the thread click on the title. 

Having actually looked at the new software and not gone "its NOT VERY GOOD " immediately, or jumped on those that do not like it as some seem to do all too willingly....

It really should be ok to say you do not like something, or conversely to think it lovely.

My opinion is ever so bland,Its ok, its really the same stuff in a different way - no better or worse when you get used to it.

Edit...I think that the swear filter is ridiculous, but hey thats just me living in reality I guess.

Edited by LBRJ

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, N15class said:

Actually got to see a computer version of rmweb today. Shame I'm lumbered with the mobile version. Is there no way of swapping between the two like before. 

Is the functionality between the two not the same now? From memory the old mobile version was very restrictive, I've not found anything desktop-specific on this version yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Corbs said:

Is the functionality between the two not the same now? From memory the old mobile version was very restrictive, I've not found anything desktop-specific on this version yet.

I didn't like the old mobile one either. But the desktop version is a lot easier to travel around. One the mobile one I'm for everlastingly scrolling up and down.  To find the next post after reading one.  Just find it awkward. 

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, N15class said:

I didn't like the old mobile one either. But the desktop version is a lot easier to travel around. One the mobile one I'm for everlastingly scrolling up and down.  To find the next post after reading one.  Just find it awkward. 

Ah, true, the only thing I can advise is turning off signatures maybe? Less to scroll past then? Not sure how small one can make the text on a mobile.

• Like 2

I find the new format rather plain, utilitarian and unattractive.  I also don't like having to click to get a drop down menu to select an item from to see what's been posted since my last visit when one click used to do.  I'm curious too about why the image Ben Alder posted shows a bar at the top of the page that I don't get.

The appearance is not so good as the old site and neither is the functionality.  It's more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Edited by Wolseley

1 hour ago, Wolseley said:

I find the new format rather plain, utilitarian and unattractive.  I also don't like having to click to get a drop down menu to select an item from to see what's been posted since my last visit when one click used to do.  I'm curious too about why the image Ben Alder posted shows a bar at the top of the page that I don't get.

The appearance is not so good as the old site and neither is the functionality.  It's more like a downgrade than an upgrade.

Re the bar at the top of the page. Everyone should see that. If you don't the problem is with your browser. Most likely you need to clear the cache (ctrl-r should do it on a windows pc) to get rid of the browser's stored copy of old styling. That should fix your complaint about a "rather plain" look. 

You don't have to click any menu to see what's been posted since my last visit. One click on "unread content" at the top of the page. Same place as "Content I follow" on Ben Alders image you referred to. His says that because it's what he's chosen to use. Unread content is the default, but you can change it to almost anything you want. As per Andy's comment (big green box at the top of the page), you should take the time to read most or preferably all of this topic. It's a lot to read, but it will answer most if not all your queries/gripes.

There's also a topic of FAQs which also has a lot of answers to most issues. Its at 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kiwi said:

Re the bar at the top of the page. Everyone should see that. If you don't the problem is with your browser. Most likely you need to clear the cache (ctrl-r should do it on a windows pc) to get rid of the browser's stored copy of old styling. That should fix your complaint about a "rather plain" look. 

You don't have to click any menu to see what's been posted since my last visit. One click on "unread content" at the top of the page. Same place as "Content I follow" on Ben Alders image you referred to. His says that because it's what he's chosen to use. Unread content is the default, but you can change it to almost anything you want. As per Andy's comment (big green box at the top of the page), you should take the time to read most or preferably all of this topic. It's a lot to read, but it will answer most if not all your queries/gripes.

I cleared the cache, but it didn't make any difference.  Maybe it's just the way Safari displays it.

Thank you for pointing out about the "unread content" link.  I was looking for a link that said "new content" and as new content and unread content are not the same thing, I ignored the latter.  Now I know I just have to tweak a few settings.

1 hour ago, Wolseley said:

I cleared the cache, but it didn't make any difference.  Maybe it's just the way Safari displays it.

Not likely. Perhaps I have misunderstood what exactky you mean by “top bar”. What does the one on Ben Adlers image contain?

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Wolseley said:

I find the new format rather plain, utilitarian and unattractive.  I also don't like having to click to get a drop down menu to select an item from to see what's been posted since my last visit when one click used to do.

Did you read the FAQ before posting this? The bit about setting up a custom activity stream and setting it as your default is what you want. 

16 hours ago, Talltim said:

The old version of the forum had the option of writing a post using text or html. The text version was useful at times, especially when quotes were playing up.

Best I can suggest is to copy, paste & edit the quote as many times as needed - like this:

16 hours ago, Talltim said:

I've just noticed it was misssing when I couldn't work out how to split a quoted post up so I could reply in the middle of it. e,g

If there's a better way I'd love to know.

BB Code tags still seem to work, just tried & that behaved itself.

• Thanks 1

Apologies if this has already been asked/answered.

Under the previous version of the forum software, it was possible to create or edit replies or posts using an HTML editor view so that you could edit tags etc. I cannot seem to find a way to do this anymore. Is it still possible, and if so, how?

11 minutes ago, lippydavies said:

I have had to create a brand new account, no matter what I did it would not accept my login or password. 

Yet I keep getting a digest to my email address from my old account. 

Anyone any ideas?

Send me an email at info@rmweb.co.uk with your original account information and I'll seek to sort out your original account.

Unfortunately, the html (BB code) view is not available, which can make some editing very cumbersome and awkward.

It is possible that the html view was stripped out from this version because of security concerns. (Or maybe the developers thought the mobile market was too dumb to be bothered.)

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

Unfortunately, the html (BB code) view is not available, which can make some editing very cumbersome and awkward.

It is possible that the html view was stripped out from this version because of security concerns. (Or maybe the developers thought the mobile market was too dumb to be bothered.)

Hi MP,

If you temporarily disable javascript, you get an ordinary HTML TextArea in which you can see and edit the HTML.

(Most of the site is CSS-based and continues to work ok without scripting.)

cheers,

Martin.