New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

That is soooo last century....

Yes, but it's a great feature of the CK editor. smile.gif

I have just put a grey background around my photos in this post:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141874-rmweb-new-site-feature-wishlist/&do=findComment&comment=3458517

Martin.

If I disable javascript (in firefox) then the reply screen goes blank, with no submit button, and I've got to remember the html codes. The previous version was OK. The main problem, i find, is that if i post a link, then everything I type after the link gets underlined, too, unless i make a new line and as mentioned elsewhere, the edit function is restricted too.

Harping back to the previous version of the software, the useful thing was the two buttons towards the top, one for 'topics I follow', t'other for 'topics i posted in' (or words to that effect). Would it not be possible,for someone to give the settings to replicate that in the activity settings, and stick it in the place it was before. (After all, even windows 10 can be made to look and feel like windows 7)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I have a question regarding the Activity System (Old VNC). When I get the results of my search, at the bottom of the page is a message "Load more Activity".

Is there somewhere in the search that lets you know how many pages of unread posts there are in your search?  I am not wishing for the "old system" but an indicator would be useful

Peter

• Agree 3

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Peter Beckett said:

Hi Andy,

I have a question regarding the Activity System (Old VNC). When I get the results of my search, at the bottom of the page is a message "Load more Activity".

Is there somewhere in the search that lets you know how many pages of unread posts there are in your search?  I am not wishing for the "old system" but an indicator would be useful

Peter

Not as such, they seem to have dispensed with the concept of pages in that view but I am investigating if there's any way some useful information can be indicated.

2 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Still no Status Update capability for me :(

Is there not a Status option in the +Create dropdown at the top?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold

A question/suggestion from me regarding the ‘black dot’ function of jumping to the last unread post of each topic ...

Can the size of either the dot/hyperlink be increased or spaced out from the other links? I’m finding that when using my 9.7inch IPad, I’m often accidentally clicking a forum members name/hyperlink instead and jumping to their profile page (some must now think I’m stalking them!). The probability of clicking the wrong link is greatly increased when using the forum when riding a bouncy MK4 carriage along the ECML!

Using the black dot function is a great way to navigate and is probably my most common method of jumping to read a topic page, so it does seem a bit of a shame that it seems to be the smallest sized button/link when compared to the bigger sized buttons/areas that are adjacent.

Also, I confess that it took me about two or three years of using the ‘old’ forum format before I discovered the handy functionality of the black button! So a suggestion is for a small and simple key/legend to be included on the forum homepage to explain the functionality of the black dots - especially to help any new users or those that haven’t yet discovered that shortcut. There’s plenty of spare space on the homepage for a simple legend to be included.

Overall, great work with the forum and getting the transition to the latest software up and running.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Patriot87003 said:

Can the size of either the dot/hyperlink be increased or spaced out from the other links?

I'll have a look at it in due course but often such things can be fiddly to adjust and have a knock-on effect elsewhere.

• Thanks 4

I've searched this topic for 'login' but haven't found anything that explains my problem. I had to reset my password, which was not quite a straightforward a process as it should have been, and logged in - taking care to check the box 'remember me'. Except it does not, and I have to login from scratch each and every time. Is it me?

I thought I'd wait a bit to see how things settled down first,

before I 'flagged up' problems ('cos they might be be me!).

So I haven't yet changed the setting from '365 days', as it's

something I can work out as I'm searching, but after a few

presses of 'load more activity' (taking me to about 12hours

worth of posts), it tells me 'there is no more activity'.

But if I then open and close the last post showing, it seems

to wake up and find 'more activity', is it me?

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I thought I'd wait a bit to see how things settled down first,

before I 'flagged up' problems ('cos they might be be me!).

So I haven't yet changed the setting from '365 days', as it's

something I can work out as I'm searching, but after a few

presses of 'load more activity' (taking me to about 12hours

worth of posts), it tells me 'there is no more activity'.

But if I then open and close the last post showing, it seems

to wake up and find 'more activity', is it me?

I've found this a couple of times, simply refreshing (F5) the screen brings back 'load more activity'. I'm not sure but could it be down to blogs, I've noticed a few times that blog entries mixed in the list of topics have dates of '6yr' whilst the topics are only minutes/hours old. It could be if the next item in the list is a blog with a date of more than 365 days old, there is no more topics to display, but then refreshing, more new content has been added, shifting the blog further down the list.

• RMweb Gold
On 06/02/2019 at 00:30, N15class said:

Actually got to see a computer version of rmweb today. Shame I'm lumbered with the mobile version. Is there no way of swapping between the two like before. 

Can I clear up a bit of confusion here - there is no "desktop" and no "mobile" version. There is one version of the site that has what is called Responsive design. The site automatically adjusts it's CSS (style sheets) according to the resolution of the screen or the device that it detects and hence looks different on mobile devices and PCs. However - I can make have the "mobile" experience on a PC if I want by shrinking my browser window thus:  

Full HD screen PC:

Forum1.PNG.edaa5a325a5abf460d5dad68aa02918b.PNG

Browser shrunk to minimum width:

Forum2.PNG.dac65a00abeb7bd2cefbc18c3fc79a2c.PNG

Same browser, same page, same posts, all I did was shrink the browser window.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Question @Andy Y

On the previous version, you could see on the various lists of topic threads (VNC, My Content, etc) not only how many pages and replies had been made to a thread, but also the number of views to the thread.

This was helpful to see if content was being noticed (eg SWAG Member's Day announcements).

Is that a stat/ feature that's still available, and if so how?

I've looked at both Condensed and Expanded options and it's not showing there.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2019 at 12:48, dhjgreen said:

Has anyone else lost ratings after the software update.  Before Andy did the recount I had 4, now I have around 800; prior to the update I had around 2500?

Yes I am in similar situation. As far as I remember it is about half of what it was before. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Can I clear up a bit of confusion here - there is no "desktop" and no "mobile" version. There is one version of the site that has what is called Responsive design. The site automatically adjusts it's CSS (style sheets) according to the resolution of the screen or the device that it detects and hence looks different on mobile devices and PCs. However - I can make have the "mobile" experience on a PC if I want by shrinking my browser window thus:  

Full HD screen PC:

Forum1.PNG.edaa5a325a5abf460d5dad68aa02918b.PNG

Browser shrunk to minimum width:

Forum2.PNG.dac65a00abeb7bd2cefbc18c3fc79a2c.PNG

Same browser, same page, same posts, all I did was shrink the browser window.

How do you do it the other way around get the browser look on the mobile.?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

this is the problem regarding blogs being updated but the date/time of the blog seemingly not being updated, the last entry for the 'page' being a blog with a last updated date of '6yr':

browser.jpg.80469b58c0cb3cd13cafd52b2833248d.jpg

If the browser if refreshed, as more topics have been updated, the blog entry is now not the last entry on this page, so I can load more items. It's not a big issue for me but not sure if there's a problem elsewhere regarding blogs

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, N15class said:

How do you do it the other way around get the browser look on the mobile.?

What browser are you using? I just tried it on my Android phone using Chrome and the Desktop Site option is still there.

5 minutes ago, 57xx said:

What browser are you using? I just tried it on my Android phone using Chrome and the Desktop Site option is still there.

I'm on Android Chrome too. Not seen the link to desktop view. May I ask where you found it hiding.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, N15class said:

I'm on Android Chrome too. Not seen the link to desktop view. May I ask where you found it hiding.

It's in the ellipsis menu at the top right;

Screenshot_20190207-162529.png.90f5df6895d073f683c92a50f12074f2.png

This cause the browser to lie to the website about the device it's running on. Most phones have better resolution than a lot of PCs nowadays so it is not done on sensing the pixel size of the browser alone.

Edited by 57xx
Shrunk pic
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

11 minutes ago, 57xx said:

It's in the ellipsis menu at the top right;

Screenshot_20190207-162529.png.90f5df6895d073f683c92a50f12074f2.png

This cause the browser to lie to the website about the device it's running on. Most phones have better resolution than a lot of PCs nowadays so it is not done on sensing the pixel size of the browser alone.

Thanks that's so much easier to use than the mobile version.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Is there not a Status option in the +Create dropdown at the top?

Not that I can see.

Screenshot from 2019-02-07 20-22-41.png

Edited by Ian J.