New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators
38 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Not that I can see.

The only thing I can think of at the mo is a sub-forum moderator permissions conflict, can you see if there's any change now please?

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The only thing I can think of at the mo is a sub-forum moderator permissions conflict, can you see if there's any change now please?

Unfortunately not, still the same list.

• Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Unfortunately not, still the same list.

I found a slider switch in your profile was set to disable status updates, can you check again now?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I found a slider switch in your profile was set to disable status updates, can you check again now?

That's sorted it, thanks :)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Andy, has the migration/transfer activity completed?  My ‘reputation’ (such that it is) is stuck on about 30% of what I had before the upgrade.  

Just curious (not nagging), is it work still in progress, or has it been lost forever in the ether?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Regarding the status updates, on the previous incarnation the replies could be viewed on the main page. It now seems that clicking to see replies goes to a page for them, rather than having them appear inline. Any chance the old inline method could be brought back?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Ian J. said:

Regarding the status updates, on the previous incarnation the replies could be viewed on the main page. It now seems that clicking to see replies goes to a page for them, rather than having them appear inline. Any chance the old inline method could be brought back?

It works differently now as there's the capacity to add images etc so the SU in the panel should be regarded as a link, the same as the links to posts and topics in the other panels.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It works differently now as there's the capacity to add images etc so the SU in the panel should be regarded as a link, the same as the links to posts and topics in the other panels.

OK. It's a shame, as I probably won't bother to check replies now as it's just about enough of a faff to not bother doing so. But we will have gained images, etc.

Edit: I have experimented with the streams created a suitable status update stream, I will see how that goes. Is there any way to edit an entire stream's set up, rather than just the title? Otherwise it seems to be a case of deleting the custom stream and re-creating it.

Edited by Ian J.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:01, drmditch said:

Firstly thank you Andy for sorting out my login/ password so quickly.

You must be very busy, and I apologise if the problem mentioned below has been discussed elsewhere. I did try a search but was unable to find it.

I am using W10 in tablet mode and MS Edge. The drop-down menus (for example under 'Activities') vanish before I can select an option.

There were reports some years ago about this problem with W10 and Edge, but none recently and I presume that later W10 releases have resolved the problem. Certainly I have no problem with other websites.

I would be grateful for advice, or other peoples experience. 

I'm sorry if this point has been answered elsewhere, but if so I have been unable to find it.

This winter I have been confined to bed for long periods and my W10 tablet has been very useful.

Since this tablet is now quite elderly (just over one year!) I'm reluctant to take up space or risk further software clashes by loading another browser, such as Chrome.

Is that likely to be my only option for continuing to use RMWeb to cheer up this poor, poorly person?

Edited by drmditch
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, drmditch said:

Is that likely to be my only option for continuing to use RMWeb to cheer up this poor, poorly person?

Unfortunately it's not something I've been able to replicate across several tablets (none are Windows though), before consigning it to history it may be worth trying Chrome on it, it's fairly lean.

Well been using the new software since its grand opening but I'm finding that I'm not as slick as I was with the pervious version.

My main difficulty is when doing a search or a check back to something I have read previously.  I seem to take 3 times as long as my searches used to do.  I think all the differing ACTIVITY  options are phasing me.

I keep trying but what used to be a short biff, bam, bop for a search has now turned into a bif, bam, bop, bem, bin, bom, bum.   All this extra work is making sure I am getting to know my way around the software though.

Off to read up on searching the forums ...………... again.

Best

• Moderators

It's a fraction under a week since it went live and I'm still discovering things and I spend more time than most on here so it's inevitable it takes time for everyone to get the best out of it. Yes, some more parts may seem to be more complex but many of those things are more customisable and powerful. Many things work much better than before and there's a lot of potential for expansion and new features, it's about not standing still; some may like everything to always remain the same but life's not like that. There was as much chuntering when we had a major change 9.5 years ago and smaller developments but funnily enough that's the version that some of the grumblers would have preferred to have kept.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Afraid my comment is not positive, although I appreciate the hard work put in.  Simply, it is not as easy to browse quickly on a phone. The change from being able to view unread content in the old way, and the time it takes to reset the page when you go back, makes it harder to use.

the upshot is that I have got out of the habit of looking at RMWeb. 

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, exet1095 said:

Afraid my comment is not positive, although I appreciate the hard work put in.  Simply, it is not as easy to browse quickly on a phone. The change from being able to view unread content in the old way, and the time it takes to reset the page when you go back, makes it harder to use.

I think it's a case of just doing it a bit differently.  I tried the web version on my phone, and found it scrolled too much, so went back to the mobile version.

By setting my own stream and making it the default, I can see what I want to, fairly easily. The phone browser's back button actually works better than before, as the system now loads the latest content for the list, rather than the previous content (as it was when I selected a topic to read).

Andy's 'View New Content' stream also works well.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Unfortunately it's not something I've been able to replicate across several tablets (none are Windows though), before consigning it to history it may be worth trying Chrome on it, it's fairly lean.

My 4-year-old Asus tablet running Chrome seems happy enough. It is picking up the mobile site - which might be leaner than the full-fat desktop version. 

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, exet1095 said:

You need to set up a custom stream and set it as your default (guide is in the FAQ thread). Then it is one button to take you to unread content (or whichever content you want).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Members wanting a faster way to scan and skim through RMweb content might like to try an RSS Reader. I use the Feedbro plug-in for Firefox which is great.:

feedbro_rmweb.png.a6ccd10e8bd3245f0161374c564fdd81.png

You can have a list of your activity streams on the left, a list of the latest posts in it, and clicking them opens the post on the same page in a much more readable and adjustable font size -- which is my main reason for using it. Clicking the header on the post takes you to the original RMweb post to view images, reply, etc., if you want.

To set it up, right-click on the RSS link at top-right of the stream pages, copy the link URL, and paste it into the Add Feed dialog in Feedbro.

RSS seems to be falling out of favour (I suspect because it prevents Google, Facebook, etc. from tracking your web use), but it still works fine and it's a good way of keeping track of fast-moving web sites without taking up too much time.

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, drmditch said:

Since this tablet is now quite elderly (just over one year!) I'm reluctant to take up space or risk further software clashes by loading another browser, such as Chrome.

The next version of Edge will be based on Chromium—the open-source program on which Chrome is based. Also, do you have IE on the tablet? It might work better with RMWeb (no guarantees, I haven't tried it with the new RMWeb).

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, exet1095 said:

I’ve long ago used bookmarks to make access faster. I set up an activity, even the general view unread, and then save it in my forums folder. Then I just tap the bottom of the screen to bring up the folder and choose what I want with one more tap. I have Unread, Threads I posted in and My Threads and it makes skimming through and finding my waffle dead easy. :)

• Like 1

Well taking a hint from some of these posts here I have set up a Personal Stream - NOW THAT IS USEFUL.

I hadn't even noticed that I could name and set up streams like that, every day is a learning day.

Best

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I posted this on another thread but reposting here in case it is useful

Here is the best way of getting the 'followed topics' quick button. Going via 'Manage followed content' is not a good way of doing it, that's the editing tool, a bit like trying to get into your car by opening the bonnet.

Note: you only have to do this once, after this it's 1 click to get to the list of topics you want.

Step 1 - go to 'Activity>My Activity Streams>Content I follow' as shown below. Click 'Content I Follow'

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.01.42.png

Step 2 - At the top of the next page are all the options. Select 'Condensed' (highlighted in screenshot) to show topic titles in the list instead of every individual post

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.01.56.png

Step 3 - Under the 'Content' option (highlighted) select 'Topics' as shown

Note: This excludes blogs etc. You don't have to do this step.

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.02.51.png

Step 4 - The option to 'Save as new stream' appears. Click on it

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.03.01.png

Step 5 - Name it 'Followed Topics' and click 'Create Stream'

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.03.15.png

Step 6 - Click the little tick next to the new stream name (highlighted as 'Set as your default stream')

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.03.32.png

Step 7 - It now appears under your name at the top right hand corner of the site and you can just click it at any time to go back to the list

Screenshot 2019-02-07 at 15.03.44.png

I hope this is useful!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

Is it me or does anyone have challenges in using RMWeb on a mobile while streaming music to speakers?

I use an iPhone 8 to browse RMWeb while streaming the radio to wireless speakers from the BBC Sounds app, following the upgrade I’ve noticed that when loading up new RMWeb topics or browsing from page to page within a topic it’ll cause the BBC Sounds app to stop streaming, like maybe the iPhone is using more power/internet and its struggling to do both, ending up in breaks in the sound. It only would do this previously if trying to load massive fancy web pages or videos, rather than simple website forums, but I get it now on about 50% of the new pages opened while browsing RMWeb topics.

My internet speed is quite fast so I wondered what else might be contributing to that at all, is it a temporary issue that may go after the software settles down and indexes everything?

Many thanks in advance! :)

James

11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

There was as much chuntering when we had a major change 9.5 years ago and smaller developments but funnily enough that's the version that some of the grumblers would have preferred to have kept.

I seem to remember it wasn't chuntering, there was quite a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth, possibly a bit of mad panic, fear of the world ending  and perhaps even the odd cry of "the sky is falling".

It was awesome, I got hours of fun out of that thread.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to he various people who have posted about setting up a personal activity stream.   I've sorted one and it seems to be working well.   

I would be grateful if anyone can point me to where, if at all, the photo editing tool has gone to and also how to access the membership list.  I eventually found a member that I needed to contact by finding a post that he had made and clicking on his name.  

Jamie

• Like 1