New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

I don't see a "Sent Items" option either, got to say that is a bit inconvenient as I often forget if I've messaged someone and the ability to check would be nice :)

If you click on the envelope in the top bar it will show a consecutive list of PMs sent and received. If you got to the 'Inbox' you can filter by conversation you started or received.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I can't say I've observed I've observed any general slow-downs but I have disabled the 'who viewed topic' function as that was the only thing introduce on Friday morning which could have made a difference.

Thanks Andy, Been faster this evening, maybe that's helped.

edit

At least I thought it had for about 10 mins, maybe more people came online, I'm not sure but it's really slow again. Not sure if it's the device I'm using or connection but there's a marked difference to last week, guess I'll get used to it. 

Steve.

Edited by sb67

Ive also had an issue with my new content thread being slow. My new content thread has been incredibly slow to load the last few days yet all my followed topics load almost instantly.

Heres my settings if it helps too, could it be one of these causing it despite not having issues before?

Screenshot_2019-02-12-22-17-42.png.988033a54450baa905b5903a87169ec7.png

Edited by Pre Grouping fan

1 hour ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

Ive also had an issue with my new content thread being slow. My new content thread has been incredibly slow to load the last few days yet all my followed topics load almost instantly.

Heres my settings if it helps too, could it be one of these causing it despite not having issues before?

Screenshot_2019-02-12-22-17-42.png.988033a54450baa905b5903a87169ec7.png

Describing “New stuff” as anything unread for the last 365 days seems a lttle excessive, and quite possibly the cause of the slow response. Try reducing that to “since last visit”?

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Kiwi said:

Describing “New stuff” as anything unread for the last 365 days seems a lttle excessive, and quite possibly the cause of the slow response. Try reducing that to “since last visit”?

I set up a Custom Activity Stream for unread followed content, originally with that 365 days option (I think it's a default) and it too was taking a long time to return the search result. I've since changed it to "since last visit" with a noticeable improvement.

The site otherwise responds pretty quickly for me at all times of the day. The custom search was the only process that took excessive time, so I thought it might be the search rather than any issue with site speed.

I altered my settings in my custom activity stream for unread content to "since last visit" and that has made a difference. The only problem I'm finding now is how to find any unread content if I visit the site briefly and dont read it, as when I re visit it wont show. Hope that make sense.

Steve.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, sb67 said:

I altered my settings in my custom activity stream for unread content to "since last visit" and that has made a difference. The only problem I'm finding now is how to find any unread content if I visit the site briefly and dont read it, as when I re visit it wont show. Hope that make sense.

Steve.

Steve, Since last visit automatically removes everything from before then,  set Read status to Everything and it shows what you've read as well as unread ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Steve.

You need to cancel the since last visit bit as that is want is deleting the stuff you saw, only stuff since then appears.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, sb67 said:

Steve.

I've set mine for 7 days which seems to have speeded it up considerably.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Well you live and learn; I found that a) Admin can change the default settings within each activity stream so I've set that to 7 days for several and longer for ones where you're searching stuff you started or followed etc and b) that I could set up new Activity Streams for all users (there's now one called View New Content for which I used my settings as a template) and also select the default which will appear at the top right of the screen. That would have saved a lot of earache from those demanding instant solutions when the update was done (rather than looking at settings for themselves). It takes me a time to work through getting the best out of the system but a few don't seem to have the patience to await such tweaking.

There's still a lot to fix and build so I'm best just left to it and we'll get there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

If I can make some observations as a non-computer literate user;

I have not found RMWeb slow at any time since the reboot (using a laptop to visit).

No log-in problems.

Unread Content; I found more awkward than with the old system, but on my visit just now it is improved; Topics no longer disappear when read (mildly annoying if I decided I wanted to read one again), and when going 'back' you are now taken to wherever you were, rather than the top of the page. The only thing is that topics now appear multiple times, presumably whenever someone has added to them.

Overall RMWeb is, thanks to the hard work of Andy Y and everyone (anyone ?!) else involved, improving all the time, thanks for the hard work (and sweat !)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Well you live and learn; I found that a) Admin can change the default settings within each activity stream so I've set that to 7 days for several and longer for ones where you're searching stuff you started or followed etc and b) that I could set up new Activity Streams for all users (there's now one called View New Content for which I used my settings as a template) and also select the default which will appear at the top right of the screen. That would have saved a lot of earache from those demanding instant solutions when the update was done (rather than looking at settings for themselves). It takes me a time to work through getting the best out of the system but a few don't seem to have the patience to await such tweaking.

There's still a lot to fix and build so I'm best just left to it and we'll get there.

I guess thats what it's all about we're all learning how to use it. Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm glad we can share stuff here, sure it will all work itself out.

Well done for persevering Andy.

Steve.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm have a minor, in the grand scheme of things, problem at this end.

When I'm browsing on my IPad, which is the device I use most, the new version of RMweb mutes any music I have playing in the background.  Other Apps or websites only do this when they are actually playing media and the old versions of RMweb never did this.  

Like I said, a very minor issue compared to all else but an irritation non the less.

12 minutes ago, BoD said:

I'm have a minor, in the grand scheme of things, problem at this end.

When I'm browsing on my IPad, which is the device I use most, the new version of RMweb mutes any music I have playing in the background.  Other Apps or websites only do this when they are actually playing media and the old versions of RMweb never did this.  

Like I said, a very minor issue compared to all else but an irritation non the less.

Not happening here. What version of IOS is your iPad running?

Edited by Kiwi
Typo
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Not happening here. What version of IOS is you iPad running?

I'm back with iOS 9. something or other as I'm too tight fisted to keep renewing my expensive equipment just because  Mr Apple decides to make it redundant.  May well be the issue but as I said it is only this new forum that does this.

7 minutes ago, BoD said:

I'm back with iOS 9. something or other as I'm too tight fisted to keep renewing my expensive equipment just because  Mr Apple decides to make it redundant.  May well be the issue but as I said it is only this new forum that does this.

“Only this forum” is relative to whatever other web sites you use. There will be others. Consensus on the web (it’s been a seemingly random issue for some years) is that it is advert related. I understand it is fixed by Apple since IOS11. This page has some discussion (not guaranteed to be accurate) : https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1388653

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I presume this is connected with the new software as its never happened before, but I’m getting the message below when trying to read the current page of the Bachmann 2020 thread on my iPad. It momentarily shows the posts then this appears. On a PC it’s fine, as were the previous pages on the iPad. Other threads are fine. A problem with a specific post causing the problem?

DA46975C-9CDE-4649-A273-A1546BAFE434.png.d199eddfc25623fa8f3d5c4b381cdc2e.png

Edited by brushman47544

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

I presume this is connected with the new software as its never happened before, but I’m getting the message below when trying to read the current page of the Bachmann 2020 thread on my iPad. It momentarily shows the posts then this appears. On a PC it’s fine, as were the previous pages on the iPad. Other threads are fine. A problem with a specific post causing the problem?

DA46975C-9CDE-4649-A273-A1546BAFE434.png.d199eddfc25623fa8f3d5c4b381cdc2e.png

Interesting, could you try it again please and see if you be a different outcome now please?

• Moderators
Just now, brushman47544 said:

Yes, still get the same message, except the number is now 3467041

At least that rules it out of being an animated gif. Puzzled.

• Friendly/supportive 1