New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Mine's not fiction but it's certainly ancient history (dating from 2013/4).

I spoke too soon. It's now showing a list of topics that I definitely don't follow (confirmed by opening the topic and checking the "following" button top right). I don't use this list anyway so I'll leave it at that. Perhaps it will settle down in time like the indexing did.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

My followed topics appears in 'activity' but not in 'browse'; not sure if this is a fault or not as I can see some logic why it would do so. Like Miss P it's full of random stuff which bears no relation to what I actually follow. However all is not lost because I can still get to all my genuine followed topics through the 'manage followed topics' function.

• Informative/Useful 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, cornelius said:

+1 for a load of random topics I have never followed. Is it possibly selecting from topics anyone has ever followed?

Still under investigation and monitoring. On one a/c I have removed all old followed content and saved some afresh and it seems to then be working as anticipated. Linked to Neil's post above I think the inherent problem is in what it's decided you're following (as opposed to have previously posted in).

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Neil said:

Further thought, much the same as Cornelius above. I wonder if it's like the public/private options for bookmarks?

It's possible but there shouldn't be any distinction in previously stored bookmarks - I have discussed with the developer the potential for removing the public aspect.

• Thanks 2

I'm still getting unfollowed from topics after I make a post.  It's not every time but I don't post enough to be able to give an estimate of the percentage.

Also on the mobile view the Ignore Topic button is huge and I've pressed it a few times when a page has been a bit slow to load but then appears just as a digit descends.

• RMweb Gold

When scrolling down the all activity list I go to look at a post. If the post was more than five hours ago, when I press the back button to go back to the list it takes me back to a point five hours ago even if the post were two days old. Very frustrating, getting to be enough to put me off visiting the site.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 14/02/2019 at 01:22, steaming_chris said:

“Notifications – View all notifications” now at “n” pages and growing

Hi Everyone

In a PM to Andy Y, and I hope he won't mind if I paraphrase, with the previous web version, if all notifications were viewed, there was the option to select a topic with a tick/check box, and then select delete all selected. This only deleted the notification and not to un-follow the content.

Andy had suggested to got to

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/followed/  

From this page at the end of each topic I follow, there is a tick/check box. Unfortunately though, this unfollows the content / topic I follow, and the “Notifications – View all notifications” pages keeps getting bigger.

Has anyone found away to resolve this ?

I must say, that I like the new web pages and appreciate the hard work that has taken place by Andy and the team

I have solved the notifications problem (apart from being unable to find a way of deleting them - anybody know the answer to that please?).

Right how to kill notifications once and for all and utterly totally (so far over about 2 days).  Open 'Notification Settings'. and in the first main block of choices (where you have probably already selected 'Do not send me notifications' (?) you will see in its top right hand corner a rectangle which if you are seeing a green box will have text saying 'Browser Notifications Enabled'.  

If you then go into your browser (i.e. not something on RMweb but in the browser you are using) you need to look for its settings or preferences and turn off  'Notifications enabled'. when you have done that the box on the notification settings page turns a sort of mucky red colour and reads 'Browser notifications disabled'   it has definitely stopped once and for all (thus far) a pile of RMweb notifications reaching me even tho' I'd turned off everything relevant on the forum's notification settings page.  I presume - at least in my case - that the browser choice and permission somehow over-rides the forum software's choice?

The only browser I can give detailed instructions for is Safari   where you go into Safari Preferences, then click on 'websites' on the top line, then click on 'notifications' in the list in the left hand column.  You will get a list in the adjacent box of all sites which have asked for notifications to be permitted,  just alter the RMweb one to 'deny'  and the job is done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Errrr Mike I'm not too sure how much of a problem this is for me anyway but are you saying that you have to change your external browser settings to have RM web work correctly???    Surely there must be an internal setting for the RM web page notifications which will stop them if that's what you want.   I'm on Explorer 11.

Doesn't seem best practice to alter something that will affect how your browser deals with every thing else.

Best

I've made a custom stream "Unread Content since last visit". I then go down the page, if I see a topic that I want read, I right-click on it to open in a new tab. When I reach the bottom of the page, I click on the yellow "load more" button. Whilst this refreshes the main page, I then read through (& close) the extra tabs that I have opened. Ultimately, I get the message "no more activity to load", at which point I go to the top of the page, and start again by reloading my custom stream. Treating each "load" down to the yellow button as a page, I repeat the new tab process until I reach a page with nothing new of interest. This picks up new (unread) posts that have arrived whilst I've been on the site; I then mark the site as "read" near the top right of the page. This seems to give me exactly the same results as the old site; however, a major drawback is that the old site told me, after clicking VNC, that I had 10 pages (or whatever) to catch up on, but the new one gives me no indication at all.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Is there an auto correct/predictive text facility in the new software?

I keep finding some odd words in my postings and can’t believe my typing has suddenly detiorated that much as the years roll on.

If that is the case, can it be turned off or is the whole thing in my imagination?

Not life or death, but I do find I seem to have to make manual corrections more than I used to.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

Is there an auto correct/predictive text facility in the new software?

Afraid not Gordon, it'll be the browser messing with you.

• Thanks 1