New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Sadly this morning I have noticed that in every thread I have replied to, that I also find I have been un-followed out of that thread. Strangely this didn't happen before.

Andy G

• RMweb Gold
On 16/02/2019 at 09:06, Barnaby said:

Errrr Mike I'm not too sure how much of a problem this is for me anyway but are you saying that you have to change your external browser settings to have RM web work correctly???    Surely there must be an internal setting for the RM web page notifications which will stop them if that's what you want.   I'm on Explorer 11.

Doesn't seem best practice to alter something that will affect how your browser deals with every thing else.

Best

It might depend on your browser.  I use Safari and that gives me individual control for any website that polls to ask if notifications should be allowed.  When the new forum software first opened I had a pop-up asking if I wanted to authorise notifications and I assumed it was within RMweb so thought I'd give it a go and could turn it off if I didn't like it.

Getting notifications wasn't too bad but I found I couldn't delete them so they were just massing up and I tried all the buttons in the RMweb notification settings but even with them all turned off I was still getting them.  Then I looked more closely at the green coloured box I mentioned in my earlier post and saw that it mentioned 'browser' so off I went into Safari Preferences and duly found the notifications control under the 'websites tab and changed the setting for RMweb from 'allow' to 'deny'; that didn't alter the notifications setting for any other websites in the list although they were all set to 'deny' anyway.  

As it happens in Safari the default setting is 'deny' and I'd altered it by assuming the popup was an RMweb control and not a browser control.  So what I now have on RMweb's notification settings page is this -

Browser.jpg.0979e6713cdef67f6f851ac353d6f470.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, uax6 said:

Sadly this morning I have noticed that in every thread I have replied to, that I also find I have been un-followed out of that thread. Strangely this didn't happen before.

Hi Andy,

That's a setting in your Notification Settings at: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/notifications/options/

rmweb_follow1.png.fbe6d53e1d2c8f096be1164a1dfb6102.png

Don't forget to click the Save button after making a change.

It was also a setting on the old forum, but you probably left it on and didn't notice it.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah, but they are on, and these were some of the first settings that I checked when the forum came back on. (I was trying to find a way to turn off the daily digest, which it would appear I have to do for 36 pages of posts that I follow.....grr).

Andy G

Edit, its still changed my follow status to this thread after I replied above....)

Edit again: I've just replied on another thread and it didn't kick me out of following. The only difference being that I didn't slide the green buttom at the bottom of the reply box to no (for receiving notifications of replies).

That button is something that I would think would be worth removing as it seems to serve no purpose.

Andy G

Edited by uax6
  • Agree 1

On 16/02/2019 at 11:40, gazzaday said:

In the "Unread Content" under "Activity", is it possible to filter out replied content; i.e. only show new posts?

On 16/02/2019 at 11:40, gazzaday said:

I agree - it is annoying to keep seeing numerous replies to a topic you aren't following. This is something that did not occur previously.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, paftrain said:

I agree - it is annoying to keep seeing numerous replies to a topic you aren't following. This is something that did not occur previously.

Hi Paul,

To see only one entry for each topic, tick this option. Don't forget to click Save Changes afterwards:

rmweb_content.png.a9370b2472cbf281a7379fc1a99147f8.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Paul,

To see only one entry for each topic, tick this option. Don't forget to click Save Changes afterwards:

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks Martin, unfortunately the save changes box isn't there!

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

And the latest weirdness - I have notifications turned off just about everywhere it is possible to turn them off and I just received one!!!!!!!

I have just been into your notification settings and found that two were still enabled - New content for things I follow and one for when someone's bookmarked any of your content. I've turned those off too.

10 minutes ago, paftrain said:

That stream is one of the defaults where not every option is selectable; create your own Activity Stream and save it.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, paftrain said:

hi Paul,

In that case it is someone else's stream. Click Save As New Stream and create one of your own to use instead. When you do, you can give it a name to identify it. It will then be listed under Activity > My Activity Streams.

cheers,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

Literally just noticed, on the mobile version, if I click on Home or the RMWeb logo, it now takes me back to the main homepage, but with no way to get back to the main forum homepage.

About an hour ago, clicking those links took me to the main forum view. Any ideas why this is happening now?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Literally just noticed, on the mobile version, if I click on Home or the RMWeb logo, it now takes me back to the main homepage, but with no way to get back to the main forum homepage.

About an hour ago, clicking those links took me to the main forum view. Any ideas why this is happening now?

The desktop version too - now I get a video of Phil building a house and most recent entries lists but no forum tree to navigate. 

Have to go through the drop-down menu (three-bars) to Browse... Forums to get it back. 

Edited by sharris
found where it went.

16 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Paul,

cheers,

Martin.

Martin,

thanks for the advice.  However, choosing this option does not prevent replies to old posts showing.  Perhaps the additional option of "New Posts Only" would work?

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2019 at 23:45, TheSignalEngineer said:

When scrolling down the all activity list I go to look at a post. If the post was more than five hours ago, when I press the back button to go back to the list it takes me back to a point five hours ago even if the post were two days old. Very frustrating, getting to be enough to put me off visiting the site.

Strangely this was not happening on my phone this morning but on my desktop this afternoon the back button still takes me to about 5 hours ago even after looking at a post from yesterday.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, not sure if anyone has noticed this (and it's probably my fault/settings anyway).

I'm not seeing the red counter on the notifications bell anymore, except when I reload my stream-filtered page, it appears briefly then disappears. When I check the notifications I have some un-seen ones.

I don't think I've set anything to cause this (more than happy to be corrected on this point), but it is somewhat confusing.

Cheers

I don't know if there is still some experimenting going on with the look of the pages but at the weekend a number of tabs appeared in the bottom of the RMWeb banner similarly last weekend but during last week and today they have disappeared. Has the forum developed a "Sunday best" mode?:biggrin_mini2:

i am using an iPad 2 which is well past it's best, could that be the problem?

Richard

21 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi Paul,

cheers,

Martin.

Thanks for that. Problem: 'Save changes' box doesn't appear!  The 'save these changes' does appear, but when clicked nothing happens!

This is getting to be hard work understanding all the 'funnies' now on this site. It should be, and was, a pleasure to visit but I'm afraid that has all now been lost.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Andy Y said:

I have just been into your notification settings and found that two were still enabled - New content for things I follow and one for when someone's bookmarked any of your content. I've turned those off too.

Thanks Andy.  I presume that switching off the former doesn't affect the situation with going in via 'Browse'. (it doesn't seem to have, that is still working as it was - so  just me showing my lack of 'puter savvy once again).

Right as far as I'm concerned the new version is now top notch thank you.  Lovely clear pages to read and follow, new items on 'Browse'  and on the various forums in bold even easier to pick out and look at where I'm interested.  I'm now used to the new picture loading (I think) which is handier than its predecessor and the presentation on screen looks better as well.  So overall time (a lot of yours, thanks) and probably money (Warners) well spent especially as the latter still costs us nothing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, paftrain said:

Thanks for that. Problem: 'Save changes' box doesn't appear!  The 'save these changes' does appear, but when clicked nothing happens!

This is getting to be hard work understanding all the 'funnies' now on this site. It should be, and was, a pleasure to visit but I'm afraid that has all now been lost.

Hi Paul,

In that case it is someone else's stream. Click Save As New Stream and create one of your own to use instead. When you do that, you can give it a name to identify it. It will then be listed under your Activity > My Activity Streams.

The RMweb software is from Invision Power Services, Inc. So it's bound to be clunky, buggy and inconsistent in terminology. They have a history. But it's perfectly usable if you stick with it.  

cheers,

Martin.

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Paul Cram said:

My "My followed content" comes and goes and seem to be randomly populated with everythiing but the content I am following

I have checked your settings, you have saved multiple View New Content streams which is only going to confuse matters. I checked your 'Content I follow' stream and married it up with your followed content from the dropdown at the top right and all seems as it should. I adjusted the settings so you only see one entry for a topic rather than for every post.

• Like 2