New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, paftrain said:

Thanks for that. Problem: 'Save changes' box doesn't appear!  The 'save these changes' does appear, but when clicked nothing happens!

This is getting to be hard work understanding all the 'funnies' now on this site. It should be, and was, a pleasure to visit but I'm afraid that has all now been lost.

I think Andy's covered this but it sounds like you've been creating custom streams but not found the button to go back to the custom stream. It's at the bottom of the drop-down menu - see screenshot below where I have 'Cool Cats' and 'Followed Topics".

14101805_Screenshot2019-02-19at09_17_05.png.c7066c2b37f9fabc6450ec9e23fd6ba5.png

Click on that stream to open it in your menu. Set it as default by clicking the little tick next to its name (in green in screenshot)

2056910594_Screenshot2019-02-19at09_19_50.png.a7f143eb122f8a3f4ee6feb662bfe39d.png

Then it appears as the main option of the top-right of the screen by your name and needs only 1 click to access.

1967840098_Screenshot2019-02-19at09_20_35.png.e355c4d0e2f47531fe2cab27948e19b6.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

43 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have checked your settings, you have saved multiple View New Content streams which is only going to confuse matters. I checked your 'Content I follow' stream and married it up with your followed content from the dropdown at the top right and all seems as it should. I adjusted the settings so you only see one entry for a topic rather than for every post.

Thanks

• Like 1

I am having no luck with the 'Followed Topics'. I can get it so it displays correct, log out and back in and it is still correct, browse elsewhere for a few minutes come back and all has changed. How can I save the 'Followed Topics'?

What I want it to be - the correct 5 topics I follow.

1099794649_RmWeb1.JPG.7a8d6a8c06a311ef726d91a01b66f912.JPG

After browsing other sites for a few minutes - Followed Topics box gone.

532246987_RmWeb2.JPG.c31652cb436b47d0f283cce891499c2c.JPG

After refreshing the screen - random followed topics.

RmWeb3.JPG.9eebafaf4abd98c8ebae259dc3f803ac.JPG

Edited by Free At Last
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm still having issues with the 'followed topics' box which appears at the right hand side of the activity page. Most times it's full of random stuff but once in a while it has topics I genuinely follow. It's the IT equivalent of Russian roulette but without the risk of harmful consequences.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
On 19/02/2019 at 15:04, Neil said:

I may have solved the above problem, still a little early to tell but since I set notifications preferences the 'followed topics' box seems to be giving a true indication.

Spoke too soon, it now seems to have disappeared.

2 hours ago, Neil said:

Spoke too soon, it now seems to have disappeared.

Surely this issue is just a misunderstanding over the purpose of the sidebar boxes. It seems obvious, to me, that all those boxes are generic, and not in any way linked to you or any specific member. They exist to show you various topics, and to tempt you to visit them. So “Followed topics” are just that, topics followed by anyone. It even tells you how many members are following them, so you can judge how popular they are. 

Latest posts, status updates, blog post boxes are all somewhat similar. Just lists of recent activity you can use or ignore. The take no account of your personal interests, whether you have already viewed them, blocked them, or anything similar. 

So treat them just like the top banner advertising and use or ignore them as you wish. But don’t waste effort trying to understand why they are there. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Surely this issue is just a misunderstanding over the purpose of the sidebar boxes. It seems obvious, to me, that all those boxes are generic, and not in any way linked to you or any specific member. They exist to show you various topics, and to tempt you to visit them. So “Followed topics” are just that, topics followed by anyone. It even tells you how many members are following them, so you can judge how popular they are. 

So it is only coincidental that it sometimes shows my actual followed topics?

• Agree 3

My "Followed Topics" sidebar contains only topics that I actually started, without exception. If that's a coincidence, it's an impressive one. Also, it doesn't change. Since it appeared, it's always been this way, nothing random about it. The suggestion that the "Followed Topics" sidebar should contain a random selection of topics that other people follow makes no sense to me - what would be the point?

Snap 2019-02-21 at 06.51.04.png

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Premium

It seems different people are getting different results - I get random followed topics too, not ones that I'm actually following.

Edited by Ian J.
Grandma.
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Neil said:

Now back but full of stuff I haven't followed.

I've been looking at your settings Neil both in terms of notification settings you've enabled, the followed content and what you are seeing in the sidebar panel and I must admit I can't see the logic in what you are seeing. I know that's not the most useful answer but at least in confirms it's not a user issue (as many turn out to be). Can I ask if you have cleared any RMweb cookies and temporary files from any browsers on any devices affected and seen if it persists after that?

I have also found that there is up to a 5-minute lag between what you may have followed appearing after additional posts have been made and it updating the sidebar panel so if you have read all it may revert to an unpopulated panel and not display.

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've been looking at your settings Neil both in terms of notification settings you've enabled, the followed content and what you are seeing in the sidebar panel and I must admit I can't see the logic in what you are seeing. I know that's not the most useful answer but at least in confirms it's not a user issue (as many turn out to be). Can I ask if you have cleared any RMweb cookies and temporary files from any browsers on any devices affected and seen if it persists after that?

I have also found that there is up to a 5-minute lag between what you may have followed appearing after additional posts have been made and it updating the sidebar panel so if you have read all it may revert to an unpopulated panel and not display.

Thanks for the reply Andy. I haven't done anything with cookies or temporary files and while I know how to clear temporary files I'm clueless about cookies.

I try to keep up to date with my followed topics, so it makes sense that if the sidebar panel only alerts me to new contributions then it coming and going makes sense.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Neil said:

I haven't done anything with cookies or temporary files and while I know how to clear temporary files I'm clueless about cookies.

I can see that you're using Firefox so this may be of assistance - https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/clear-cookies-and-site-data-firefox?redirectlocale=en-US&redirectslug=delete-cookies-remove-info-websites-stored#w_delete-cookies-for-a-single-site - particularly the Clear cookies for the current website section.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, just been there my cookies are now clear and I've removed temporary files. Unfortunately I'm still getting random followed content. If it helps any, it seemed to go wrong after I added another followed topic, but this could easily be coincidence. I know you'll want a settled site which just ticks over with minimal adjustments so will want to get on top of this issue; from my perspective it's not a big deal as I can still keep track on the stuff I follow through the 'manage my followed content' feature.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have no idea how to clear cookies, apart from emptying the jar in the kitchen,  but am also getting a totally random set of topics in the followed sidebar.  Some are of interest some aren't.   I'm using Edge under Wundows 10.

Jamie