New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

Any update on whether/when the gallery is going to be back?

I've solved some of the problems; some still to be done. I am going to make some changes in how things are with the galleries (which is part of something else happening in a few weeks) so I may as well hold it until that point.

• Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

I fear that the answer to this is hidden in plain sight so I am probably due to go to the opticians again! 

The only way I can follow something now appears to be to reply to the thread as I cannot find a button anywhere to enable me to follow a thread. 

If someone can show me how it would make things a lot easier. Thanks in advance. 

Chris

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

I fear that the answer to this is hidden in plain sight so I am probably due to go to the opticians again! 

The only way I can follow something now appears to be to reply to the thread as I cannot find a button anywhere to enable me to follow a thread.

Hi Chris,

At the top right of the topic page:

rmweb_follow_topic.png.79f829693a7a0e44cd530e974f5bd13d.png

If you are on a mobile, it is probably in the hamburger (3 horizontal bars). see below

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

On a mobile it's at the bottom of the page:

rmweb_follow_topic_mobile.png.5f3c1e05f0a89eb1acbc6d5edd5672f5.png

Martin.

Many thanks for that. I was looking at the top of the page in a similar position to where it was found on the old software and I am on a mobile most of the time. 

Morning guys, 

Still loving the new website, so much easier to read and get to places. 

One little suggestion or perhaps it's around and I'm missing it: Could we have a button under our profile drop down menu (that we can access from anywhere) that will take us to a list of our own created topics?

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but did anybody else find that they could not post replies over the last couple of days?

When I clicked in the reply box all I got was the paperclip symbol "click to choose files" box that normally is at the bottom  of the reply box but nowhere to type and no pop up keyboard. I am using an iPad.

The problem appears to have gone away as I am still using the iPad to post this but I was curious if it was just me.

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

The only issue that I've had with the new format is that my daily digest emails are now three times the width of the space in my gmail screen. This makes them pretty unreadable as the bottom bar has to be moved three times for each individual line of entry. This is the same for both the desktop and my laptop. They are both running Chrome in Windows 7.

All the other emails that I receive fit the screen and no tabbing is involved which seems to indicate a problem from the sending side.

David

7 minutes ago, The Border Reiver said:

Special Interests seems to have been truncated..

Prototype-centric special interest categories have been moved into a Prototype sub-forum. 

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

Prototype-centric special interest categories have been moved into a Prototype sub-forum. 

Pick up line of the year.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

... but inconsistently. GWR Rolling Stock: model & prototype has moved but not Pre-Grouping: Modelling & Prototype.

Trouble is, one can't really separate out modelling from the prototype. Perhaps a new sub-forum: "Evidence-informed modelling"?

• Funny 1

17 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

GWR Rolling Stock: model & prototype has moved but not Pre-Grouping: Modelling & Prototype

There is method to my inconsistencies which may, or may not, become clearer in the not too distant.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to say Andy that things seem to be settling down well.   My personal activity stream that I set up is certainly doing most of what I wanted it to do and new comments, on long dormant threads that I have followed or posted in are being displayed.   I hope that you are now managing to get some sleep.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Apologies if this has been reported before. When dragging a picture across from my desktop to a topic, I sometimes find that instead of dropping straight into the post, it goes into the upload box below. It then says its queueing, but simply appears to lock up. There is no way of deleting that pic from upload, so the only way I have found to resolve it is to come out of the thread completely and then go back in. The auto save keeps everything I have typed before and then I can pick up from before.

I've noticed it seems to happen with pics that are 2mb whereas I thought the limit was 10mb overall. Is there a limit for a single pic?

When that does happen, I also go back to the pic and then export it again with a lower file size.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gordon s said:

. There is no way of deleting that pic from upload, so the only way I have found to resolve it is to come out of the thread completely and then go back in.

It's happened to me a couple of times (even though I don't have any limits) and I'm trying to work out if there is anything other than a local connection interruption causing it.

• Like 1

This may have been covered, but on another thread my Kindle somehow posted a reply but kept the text in the response box.  I hit post again and it posted a duplicate.  However there did not seen to be any way to delete the second post.  Edit does not include a Delete Post option.

Andy mentioned a while back that the delete post option has been disabled as a disappearing post can render portions of a thread meaningless.  It is also a guard against hissy fits.  That said, I suspect you can do a hard edit, or just say something else erudite.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

This may have been covered, but on another thread my Kindle somehow posted a reply but kept the text in the response box.  I hit post again and it posted a duplicate.  However there did not seen to be any way to delete the second post.  Edit does not include a Delete Post option.

Click on options and select hide, a Mod will then delete the post (actually hide it from general view).

• Thanks 1