New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium

Anyone had a chance to look at my email from Sunday about the width of daily digest emails? If it can't be resolved I'll have to update my preferences and stop receiving them.

David

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Anyone had a chance to look at my email from Sunday about the width of daily digest emails? If it can't be resolved I'll have to update my preferences and stop receiving them.

David

Did the digest email contain any images and, if so, were they hosted on RMweb or externally?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Did the digest email contain any images and, if so, were they hosted on RMweb or externally?

Images are displayed exactly as they are on the RMweb topic. The same thing happens with emails "Somebody reacted to a post in a topic".

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

It is the photographs that are causing it. Recently I had a couple of emails from a friend which included photographs and the mails were too wide for the screen so the situation with the mails from RMweb fit in that pattern. Were the photographs included in digests on the previous version of the site? My memory says that they weren't but I'm getting old and my memory isn't what it was! 

David

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Were the photographs included in digests on the previous version of the site?

I don't think they were David but the new display size is substantially larger which probably isn't helping the issue. I will look at whether there's sensible possibility of re-formatting for notifications (probably not as I look at the way the software does do things).

I've had a digest earlier which matches your problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for looking into it, Andy. My memory is obviously not as poor as I believed it might be, although I think that my wife would disagree!

It did occur to me that the notifications of likes, agrees etc were at lot briefer before, now they include the whole of the post that has been 'liked'.

David

• RMweb Gold

Generally speaking I like the new forum software: as with most IT changes, it is mostly a case of re-orientation, and this is nothing like as frustrating as the changes MIcroSoft made to their Office suite a few years ago.

I am having the same problem that others have reported, though, which is that I have some forum areas which I follow, but they don’t always show up on my “Activity” tab under my custom setting.

The most extreme example is the Standard Gauge Industrial Forum, which I follow (and I have tried various settings within the follow pull-down menu, to no avail):

F944D695-7EA3-4E94-8498-052A1CEE7CDB.jpeg.e7f40b1905a4ad1973361ac072eaa70e.jpeg

When I navigate to the Activity tab, and select “Followed Forums”, this doesn’t appear in the list:

28759AA1-3B1D-4C94-B8C9-3339DF712891.jpeg.ed3e6efb44ab35de18af2d9828a394d8.jpeg

There are much bigger problems in life, but this sort of functionality is rather basic and important to using a bulletin board with this many forums?

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The most extreme example is the Standard Gauge Industrial Forum, which I follow (and I have tried various settings within the follow pull-down menu, to no avail):

There are much bigger problems in life, but this sort of functionality is rather basic and important to using a bulletin board with this many forums?

See if it shows in your list now.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, shortliner said:

Not sure why - but the only problem I have noticed  is that occasionally the "View new content" picks up apparently erroneous/anomalous items - see the one right in the middle below

That's because it's an older blog entry which has been edited and re-submitted.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Davey4270 is going through his blog putting his pictures back in - he has a lot to go through but it's good to see he has decided to soldier on with RMWEB, at one point he was hinting at just sticking to another forum (yes there are others with surprisingly recognisable contributors names)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

See if it shows in your list now.

It does indeed show in the list, and switching to all posts, various threads appeared.

True test will be when someone makes a new post - I’m not going to post just for that!

Thanks.

For the benefit of anyone else, was it something I had done and could have corrected myself?

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

For the benefit of anyone else, was it something I had done and could have corrected myself?

I can mirror a user's screen to do what they can do and it allowed me to add it without any problem. It could have been a local browser problem but everything seemed OK server-side. Or it was a picnic . ;)

• Thanks 1

Seems to have developed major problems the last couple of days - my own search for new posts since last visit is only returning posts from the last two hours  (I have not logged on since yesterday evening) and unread content only goes back 3 hours:(

EDIT - now seems to being giving all unread content; their is obviously some bug somewhere.

Edited by Butler Henderson

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Seems to have developed major problems the last couple of days - my own search for new posts since last visit is only returning posts from the last two hours  (I have not logged on since yesterday evening) and unread content only goes back 3 hours:(

As 'you' I have just used your Unread Content stream and gone back over 24 hours. However there have been several edited/updated older blog entries today and I have found a bug that if one of those is the last line on a page it won't load the next page until something newer is in the feed which bumps it onto the next page.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And there was me thinking I highlighted this bug about a month ago :drink_mini:, another way around the issue is to read a topic higher in the list which then bumps the edited/updated blog one higher up in the unread list.

• RMweb Premium

Having finally found time to start to read this topic, but only got a few pages through -

The Special Interests are now lists a few items, but the things I used to look at (Southern Electrics in particular) are no longer there. Is this a case of "wait for the indexing to finish ?"

Also, I was going to say on the first line how many posts I had read before asking - but I no-longer see a post number. In years gone by on very long threads there were useful responses like "see post #150 on page 10" for things which had been sorted (e.g. 4-VEP issues). 

So far, many of the posts I've read mention "too bright" - I long-ago adjusted my monitor so that whites don't blow my eyes out ;-)

• RMweb Premium

Under Prototype,Special inerests UK prototype is where you will find it.

Use the share button to direct someone to a specitic post; be careful not to report it instead they are very close together.

Edited by dhjgreen
SP

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, zarniwhoop said:

Also, I was going to say on the first line how many posts I had read before asking - but I no-longer see a post number. In years gone by on very long threads there were useful responses like "see post #150 on page 10" for things which had been sorted (e.g. 4-VEP issues). 

Andy answered that on page 12. Apparently the 'share' icon at top right gives a link.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, dhjgreen said:

Under Ptototype,Special inerests UK prototype is where you will find it.

Use the share button to direct someone to a specitic post; be careful not to report it instead they are very close together.

For the first point - thanks, now found it. As you can see, I was persisting in reading the thread and had just found the answer to the second point.

• RMweb Premium

It's a bit more work but pasting in that "share" link to your comment is more helpful to the reader than giving the post number was, as the reader can go there with one click.

The shuffling of Special Interests continues - I note that GWR modelling and prototype has gone back into the Special Interests area, so it's consistently the (principally) non-modelling topics that have been, logically enough, shelved under Prototype.

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2019 at 18:22, AY Mod said:

I can mirror a user's screen to do what they can do and it allowed me to add it without any problem. It could have been a local browser problem but everything seemed OK server-side. Or it was a picnic . ;)

Thanks Andy.

Have managed to get my custom activity doing what I want now. Edit: it’s also better than what went before!

One issue remains: this facility is very slow compared to the rest of the forum. Is this an ongoing matter related to indexing?

(When I worked in the database marketing industry, most of the time required for monthly refreshes was taken up by building the index.)

Edited by Regularity