New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, sharris said:

One point I just noticed is the page navigation within a topic. On the old site you could jump to a page, now there appear to be just Next, Previous, First and Last buttons.

A small point, but sometimes I just happen to remember that some information I want is on page 23 of 57. Is there somewhere in the site admin settings an option to switch on 'jump to page'? (Currently reading this on my phone, so apologies if it's already on the desktop version).

Yes it is on the desktop version.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, sharris said:

One point I just noticed is the page navigation within a topic. On the old site you could jump to a page, now there appear to be just Next, Previous, First and Last buttons.

A small point, but sometimes I just happen to remember that some information I want is on page 23 of 57. Is there somewhere in the site admin settings an option to switch on 'jump to page'? (Currently reading this on my phone, so apologies if it's already on the desktop version).

Yes, see:

rmweb_page_num.png.d4a46fec4029dbf2de987b4fe8e1a704.png

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Just to say I like it great job to those who have accomplished it.

The indexing of photos has caught up with a topic I’m reading currently oh! Copy link puts a photo and link in very swish! Damian and co are creating this. I’m on page 68 now and nearing the end, yet to see why it’s on hold.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Snapper said:

I like it now I have had a little while to get used to it.

The only thing I really miss is the Content I Follow box that was on the top right hand side of the page. A quick glance showed what was new. Any chance of something similar in the future?

This may have been answered already, but if not:

Click on the Activity tab, then on 'My Activity Streams' and then on 'Content I Follow' - easiest way to access is to bookmark it in your web browser.

Rich

• RMweb Premium

Can I ask if the indexing (of previous posts and threads) relies on activity happening (in that post or thread) or does that just speed the process up? I've made three posts since the update, these show in my activity stream but nothing else does. If it's just a case of sit tight and wait then that's fine, but if I need to prompt the indexing with a visit or participation then I'll busy myself finding the stuff I was most interested in to get it up and running.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Neil said:

Can I ask if the indexing (of previous posts and threads) relies on activity happening (in that post or thread) or does that just speed the process up? I've made three posts since the update, these show in my activity stream but nothing else does. If it's just a case of sit tight and wait then that's fine, but if I need to prompt the indexing with a visit or participation then I'll busy myself finding the stuff I was most interested in to get it up and running.

Hi Neil,

I don't know the answer to the question - but I suspect your best of waiting until the indexing has completed.  Bit like how Google searches the net to find new data it can do it in what to us seems like an odd way, but to the software is very logical.  Andy said earlier that he thought it would take most of the week to index all 10 years worth of data, although around the latest nine months appeared to have been done.  So I think hang fire is the best way!

Rich

• Thanks 1

If you're looking at a post you made yourself, you can't see who has put "Like" "Agree" "Thanks" etc, as the thumbs-up button (logically) doesn't appear on your own posts.

Before, the button was visible but not clickable on your own posts, and you could see a message beside it along the lines of "Tom, Dick, Harry and 3 others liked this".

Not mega-important in the scheme of things, but it's nice to see which of your photos/comments was appreciated, particularly if you don't have constant notifications of everything happening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Apols if this has been asked before and I've missed it.  I've just posted my first new topic since the rebuild and could see any way to preview post before actually posting it.

I know I can read and re-read what I'm intending to post but with the old system it's surprising how often I'd overlooked things and they appeared when I used the preview post option!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Metr0Land said:

Apols if this has been asked before and I've missed it.  I've just posted my first new topic since the rebuild and could see any way to preview post before actually posting it.

I know I can read and re-read what I'm intending to post but with the old system it's surprising how often I'd overlooked things and they appeared when I used the preview post option!

This button above the text box.134965689_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_10_49.png.b5a2c481a6620a8f88b026103e61160c.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

If you're looking at a post you made yourself, you can't see who has put "Like" "Agree" "Thanks" etc, as the thumbs-up button (logically) doesn't appear on your own posts.

Before, the button was visible but not clickable on your own posts, and you could see a message beside it along the lines of "Tom, Dick, Harry and 3 others liked this".

Not mega-important in the scheme of things, but it's nice to see which of your photos/comments was appreciated, particularly if you don't have constant notifications of everything happening.

Really? It works for me - see bottom right corner of screenshot.

1777969907_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_12_17.png.c0d7f7556174cd157f546c7495512e49.png

• Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Really? It works for me - see bottom right corner of screenshot.

1777969907_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_12_17.png.c0d7f7556174cd157f546c7495512e49.png

Interesting - here's my screenshot, showing the thumb on the previous post (not mine) but nothing in that position on my post. I've also checked back to posts I know had "Likes" on the old software, and same behaviour there.

1138128854_Nothumbs-up.jpg.f965c68f9a1bf6e518785fe6098a4c51.jpg

10 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Activity>My activity streams>Content I posted in

Absolutely no problem right now as I know Andy has his work cut out, but I tried this and all that came up was my ET thread and two others. Either I'm doing something wrong or it will sort itself out in time once everything has loaded. If it's the latter, apologies if I missed the update earlier.

1338113378_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_20_49.png.746d5ce2d722903f524ee91761240cda.png

Edited by gordon s

• RMweb Gold

7 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Interesting - here's my screenshot, showing the thumb on the previous post (not mine) but nothing in that position on my post. I've also checked back to posts I know had "Likes" on the old software, and same behaviour there.

I've given you a heart on that post, what does it look like now?

Edited by Corbs

Apologies if this question has already been asked. Has our ‘Community Reputation’ on the Profile Page been reset? Mine seems to be starting from scratch again with the new software? ‘Likes’, etc received don’t seem to have carried over?

Getting the hang of the main sections and finding uploading images works well.

Marlyn

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Absolutely no problem right now as I know Andy has his work cut out, but I tried this and all that came up was my ET thread and two others. Either I'm doing something wrong or it will sort itself out in time once everything has loaded. If it's the latter, apologies if I missed the update earlier.

I think that the 'clock' has started again from the time the new forum was opened, so it is only showing threads that have new posts in since that time. 

If you are lazy like me and can remember a thread title but can't be bothered to look through the forum, I often just google it, e.g. 'rmweb corbs cobbling garratt' to get to my workbench thread.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

It could depend on the size of your browser window. On smaller width windows the site will adopt the mobile device view (as is now standard on most websites) and Andy did mention that he'd discovered some bits were missing at the moment on the mobile view, but he'd added them to the list.  Can you make your screen any wider - does it show then?

6 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Hi Gordon,

I think this is possibly to do with the site indexing that is going for the next few days - Andy mentioned it earlier that it was affecting Activity Streams.

4 minutes ago, Marly51 said:

Apologies if this question has already been asked. Has our ‘Community Reputation’ on the Profile Page been reset? Mine seems to be starting from scratch again with the new software? ‘Likes’, etc received don’t seem to have carried over?

Getting the hang of the main sections and finding uploading images works well.

Marlyn

Again, I think things like reputation count and likes are all being worked through with the indexing. I am sure Andy will provide a more accurate answer, but he mentioned it earlier that the indexing was affecting other things, that were righting themselves once the index had been past the post.

Edited by MarshLane
  • Thanks 1

In my 'content I follow' I didn't like seeing a list of posts for the busiest thread so I worked out that I could change a button underneath to show content only, I the saved the setting but whenever I log out it defaults back to showing a list of replies to the busiest topic in my content.

hope that makes sense, anybody know how to rectify it? 

Or how to change things so I see a list of my followed threads?

steve.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Corbs said:

I think that the 'clock' has started again from the time the new forum was opened, so it is only showing threads that have new posts in since that time. 

If you are lazy like me and can remember a thread title but can't be bothered to look through the forum, I often just google it, e.g. 'rmweb corbs cobbling garratt' to get to my workbench thread.

Corbs,

If you've previously followed a topic, you can go to your account (top of the screen right hand corner, you should see your Avatar and display name), click on that, then click on Managed Followed Content, that will give you a list of everything you've followed.  You can click on the topic names to go to things, and from there you can also change what notifications (if any) you want to receive.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, sb67 said:

In my 'content I follow' I didn't like seeing a list of posts for the busiest thread so I worked out that I could change a button underneath to show content only, I the saved the setting but whenever I log out it defaults back to showing a list of replies to the busiest topic in my content.

hope that makes sense, anybody know how to rectify it? 

Or how to change things so I see a list of my followed threads?

steve.

Are you selecting the default stream or the custom stream on the activity drop-down menu?

6 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Are you selecting the default stream or the custom stream on the activity drop-down menu?

Thanks Corbs, found that. It appears I've created three streams now! Do you know how to delete activity streams?

Steve.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Thanks Corbs, found that. It appears I've created three streams now! Do you know how to delete activity streams?

Steve.

Yes, open the stream you want to delete, then click this button (see screenshot)

1291949999_Screenshot2019-02-02at15_41_12.png.aa9efb042199059c6a52445e761c0ebd.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2