New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Had another half hour at it, on the desktop this time which was much easier than the phone. Managed to find and repost one of my old attachments in reply to a new question. ;)

I would have liked to link to the old thread but can't work out if that is possible yet. Another thing I used a few times in the old site was to be able to quote a post number when adding a comment., rather than copy the comment especially when referring to several consecutive comments. 

Hi,

The post numbers have gone but its easy to add a reference to the post, see the piece on post numbers.  If you don't want to display the web address in your comment, you can follow the same instructions, but when you past the address into the URL field, you can also add some text into the text field....

Another way to do it, is to write the reply.  Lets take the example that I want to include a link to the start of my Heljan Mk1 repaint project which is in my thread.  I can follow the above instructions to copy the website address of the post, then write the reply I wanted. For example "There is a simple way to include a link to a specific post, which can be found by clicking here."  Then use your mouse to highlight the words clicking here. and click the link button - fifth one along in the icon above just above the text editor, which will display this window.

845003476_Screenshot2019-02-02at18_57_22.png.fa7d3d432f69bf316f69a9e670e6da9b.png

Paste the link into the Web URL field and click ok.  Those words will now be the link and it will appear in your reply like this:

There is a simple way to include a link to a specific post, which can be found by clicking here.

It sounds complicated, but it really isn't - have a go, once you've done it a couple of times, it will become second nature.  You can also use the Share icon 1873971026_Screenshot2019-02-02at14_51_05.png.f3346845d995111e1c085ea16f0bdbd6.png to share a post on Facebook, Twitter and other Social Media networks if you want to.

Rich

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, john new said:

Except that it was when people were referring back to posts in long threads.

Yes but if you quoted #246 on a previous thread, then something happened and somebody deleted an earlier post , then #246 could now be #244 and people may be confused. Actually including a link to the post - as I posted above - is far better as its more precise.  Where you may have previously put "see post #246 above for details" you can now do "see this post above for details" and it doesn't matter what gets deleted, hidden or changed that will always link to that post.

1 hour ago, Mattc6911 said:

Hmmm does my signature look big in this ?  :umbrage:

I learnt a long time ago not to answer questions like that :P  But thanks for the help promoting it :)  I must add it to my signature too!

45 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

For what it's worth , pictures in my blogs - even back at the start - appear to be there. Whether others can see them I don't know, but I can see them fine.

Threads are a completely different matter (though I've manually reinserted the photos in a few old threads just in case via My Attachments)

As for anything else we are effectively running with uncustomised software in a kind of "safe-mode" and I suspend any judgements till we see something like the finished experience. The forum is at least up and running 

I have used web technologies for many years, as a programmer and system administrator, as well as user.  Computer logic is very different from ours so that order things are done in is different.  Let the indexing finish and Andy's thought he posted yesterday was that things should then show up, and I am sure from his comments he'll be looking at it if not!

14 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

I've changed my mind after using it across different devices, it's a lot better as it's always there once the top menu is off screen irrespective of the post length being viewed.

I like the Back to Top icon, works well on both iPad and Mac.  Just one thing, if your doing a multi-quote and you change your mind, the 'X' you click to cancel it is now hidden under the 'Back To Top' arrow.  The way around this is to click the arrow to go to the top of the page, at which point the 'Back to Top' arrow will vanish, and leave the 'X' clear to cancel the multi-quote.  Little bit of a work around, but no major hassle.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, BlueLightning said:

Until an earlier post got removed or hidden and the post numbers changed, as Andy has already said several times, and yes I did have this happen to me several times in the old software, and it was rather frustrating.

Gary

Ok, had never realised the numbers changed as the times I have followed a link like that it worked. Yes, concur the link option is better.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, uax6 said:

……..

And the All activity tab is all very nice, but do we need to see who has liked what it that feed? It just needs to have what we used to have, the threads that have had something written in them...

Andy G

……..….

I think someone explained how to turn off the "likes" in Activity Stream but I can't find the post in this thread.

It would be useful to have this information (and possibly other customisation of Activity Stream) added to the FAQ as it would clean the Stream up a lot and make it more useable. I've already switched to Compressed, which helps, but haven't located any more "Useful Buttons" in there

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If a quoted post is advised by a notification, but then deleted, should there be a follow up notification? 

My notifications say I was quoted by Andy Y (amongst others) an hour ago but either that is incorrect, Andy's post was subsequently deleted, or a something else occurred. I say that as there is not an obvious Andy Y quote of anything of mine from 3hrs back to the current thread end.

I did find the others notified, correctly linked to, but not Andy's. 

Edited by john new
Correction after another test. The link worked properly for all except the one mentioned.
  • Like 1

I got a question. Along the lines of John's. From my content I follow how can I get to the last posting as some of the topics I click on take me to halfway up the page and to posts I've already read?

Steve.

3 minutes ago, john new said:

In notifications which bit do you click on now to jump to the relevant post, assuming you still can? It seems to jump to the page not the post. Example, My notifications say I was quoted by Andy Y (amongst others) an hour ago but either that is incorrect, Andy's post was subsequently deleted, or ? I say that as there is not an obvious Andy Y quote of anything of mine from 3hrs back to the current thread end. I did find the others notified but not Andy's.

I deleted one of my posts as it came just after others had responded to you and there's enough repetition in the topic as it is.

• Informative/Useful 1

Another notifications glitch - or is this something not yet switched on or indexed?

As far as I can establish I've selected on-site notification in Notification Settings - I've got too much email already and would prefer to avoid email notification here

image.png.6bdc51875dac958879f3045ac577d939.png

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 57xx said:

Wow, The Farthing blog look fantastic, Mikkel. I can see a load of time spent catching up on missed post. I hated the old blog format, I found it too hard to find things and thus never ventured into the area.

I hope others follow your lead and spruce their blogs up.

Thanks 57xx. The option to insert a feature "appetizer" image is really useful to help readers get a sense of what's in a blog post. 

1 hour ago, Ravenser said:

For what it's worth , pictures in my blogs - even back at the start - appear to be there. Whether others can see them I don't know, but I can see them fine.

Threads are a completely different matter (though I've manually reinserted the photos in a few old threads just in case via My Attachments)

As for anything else we are effectively running with uncustomised software in a kind of "safe-mode" and I suspend any judgements till we see something like the finished experience. The forum is at least up and running 

I can also see your images. In fact, looking at old entries in  other people's blogs, the pics generally seem to be in place in the blogs (snitzl's attachments being an unfortunate exception so far). 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

I think someone explained how to turn off the "likes" in Activity Stream but I can't find the post in this thread.

It would be useful to have this information (and possibly other customisation of Activity Stream) added to the FAQ as it would clean the Stream up a lot and make it more useable. I've already switched to Compressed, which helps, but haven't located any more "Useful Buttons" in there

I'll try and make that a bit more obvious.  However if look on the Activity part of the FAQ, you'll see that there are several different Activity Streams - you can make anyone your default - or you can create your own to just show what you want.  The site default I believe shows everything, because that is how the software works.

9 minutes ago, john new said:

In notifications which bit do you click on now to jump to the relevant post, assuming you still can? It seems to jump to the page not the post. Example, My notifications say I was quoted by Andy Y (amongst others) an hour ago but either that is incorrect, Andy's post was subsequently deleted, or ? I say that as there is not an obvious Andy Y quote of anything of mine from 3hrs back to the current thread end. I did find the others notified but not Andy's.

From Notifications, I assume your in the Activity Stream If your on the Condensed version, its like this:

1590856771_Screenshot2019-02-02at19_52_45.png.99dea9937f9c2a6fc780a4409ee3ab2f.png

The expanded version is:
1558681640_Screenshot2019-02-02at19_52_50.png.be3f798b38011d4b5afc712fc42622b2.png

You click on the star or dot to the left of the topic name to go to the first unread post.  Click on the topic name to go to the first page, and click on the speech bubble to go to the last page (not the last post) of content.

Rich

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Andy just a thought, on the front page when you come in the new help and questions bit in the rmweb site information section is way way way down the page. Any way for now putting it up at the top ? Its a logical place for members coming back in to find it rather than bumbling aimlessly around for an hour then ending up in here and being re directed back to it ?  Ok I'll begger orf and leave you to your beer :laugh_mini:

Having to use the "Forgot Password" option to change my password and get logged in. That works fine, but if I log out, I'm not recognized the next time I try to log in, and have to reset my password each time. Is there a simple permanent fix to this as my brain is rapidly running out of password combinations...? Thanks.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Where you may have previously put "see post #246 above for details" you can now do "see this post above for details"

Not that it matters now (unless you are on another forum where they still use the older version of software), but you could right click the post number, copy URL and then do it as a hyperlink. That's the way I always did it, hence liking the new Share icon. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

Having to use the "Forgot Password" option to change my password and get logged in. That works fine, but if I log out, I'm not recognized the next time I try to log in, and have to reset my password each time. Is there a simple permanent fix to this as my brain is rapidly running out of password combinations...? Thanks.

1. Read earlier posts. ;)

2. Delete site cookies from your browser and try again.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, peterfgf said:

Not sure why RMWeb has done this.  Non-intuitive, difficult to find my way around.  Perhaps it will become clearer as time passes.

Peterfgf

It will become clear if you read the thread and this this post in particular.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I now know how to create an Activity Stream but I can's see how to delete the ones I don't want?

In one of the Posts in this Topic there was a reference to FAQs but I can't find them, so sorry if this question is answered in the FAQs

...R

Don't really see what some of the fuss is about. The new software seems to be the same version that Narrow Gauge Railway Modelling On Line has been using for some time now.

However a minor annoyance. One my tablet the Home page is very crowded with three very narrow columns plus a side bar. The side bar also appears on the index page. In the old software the side bar could be hidden (the hide button was a 'ghost' x and could be difficult to find) in this version I don't see any way of hiding the sidebar, is it still possible to do so?

Edited by JeremyC

I just like to publicly thank Andy Y for getting me back onto the forum so quickly after the update revealed a long forgotton alternative ID and login from the distant past that resurrected itself...I don't underestimate the time and effort involved in sorting all these issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Still having to reset my password every single time I visit despite telling my browser to remember me and/or keep me logged in.  The 'Display Name not recognised' thing keeps coming up which is when the password reset has to be done to get anywhere. Tried clearing Cookies etc, nothing doing.

• Friendly/supportive 2