New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andy Y said:

I've changed my mind after using it across different devices, it's a lot better as it's always there once the top menu is off screen irrespective of the post length being viewed.

Andy,

Many thanks for sorting the Top arrow out. I noticed it straight away when logging on tonight, and its so nice to have it back.

As for my opinion on the new software, I'm actually beginning to get the hang of it and its feeling much more like I've used it before.

Thanks again for your work.

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Still having to reset my password every single time I visit despite telling my browser to remember me and/or keep me logged in.  The 'Display Name not recognised' thing keeps coming up which is when the password reset has to be done to get anywhere. Tried clearing Cookies etc, nothing doing.

John I know its a pain but try logging in from a different browser to see if thats works ok, preferably one you havent used for Rmweb before

3 hours ago, peterfgf said:

Not sure why RMWeb has done this.  Non-intuitive, difficult to find my way around.  Perhaps it will become clearer as time passes.

Peterfgf

don't worry, some new presantation fad will take place in another 12 months and it will be all changed again. not a great fan of this format.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Robin2 said:

Why does my content need to be approved by a Moderator when that does not seem to apply to other members?

I was not aware that I had offended anyone.

...R

You made it clear that RMweb wasn't meeting your high standards for a web forum and you were off elsewhere. As I said in my reply, it gave me an opportunity to try the new admin tools on an account apparently no longer required. Be glad I opted for a few hours of moderation and didn't  push the new "Hide the body" button...

• Like 6
  • Funny 9

On 2/1/2019 at 12:30 PM, MJI said:

Got to admit I prefer the old layout, I like the grids, the less bright and the visible buttons.

Also I keep getting acosted for "Would you like to receive notifications" what is that about?

Also miss the easy to find content as well.

Have trawled through all 20 pages of this thread and have not spotted a response to the query from MJI , back on page 1.  This pop-up  in the top left happens to me  on every page and is  most annoying.

Stiil trying to get used to the new  format, and will have to agree to disagree about post numbers.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

Have trawled through all 20 pages of this thread and have not spotted a response to the query from MJI , back on page 1.  This pop-up  in the top left happens to me  on every page and is  most annoying.

The pop-up will be the software, rather than something Andy has added, wating to give you notifications through your browser even when you are not looking at the site, it's quite a common thing now across many websites, but not a feature I have ever used. I have not had it pop-up on RMWeb yet, but every other site, clicking block has gotten rid of it permanently.

7 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

and will have to agree to disagree about post numbers.

Please explain how a reference system that is liable to change without notice is more useful that one that wont change ever?

Gary

8 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

Stiil trying to get used to the new  format, and will have to agree to disagree about post numbers.

Perhaps you need to set notification preferences? Do that by clicking on the “bell” icon at top right of the screen. 

4 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

The pop-up will be the software, rather than something Andy has added, wating to give you notifications through your browser even when you are not looking at the site, it's quite a common thing now across many websites, but not a feature I have ever used. I have not had it pop-up on RMWeb yet, but every other site, clicking block has gotten rid of it permanently.

That 's  the point, no matter how many times it is clicked, it keeps re-appearing.

9 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Please explain how a reference system that is liable to change without notice is more useful that one that wont change ever?

I'm no expert, but I  think that is  a function of the forum software. On other forums I  frequent, deleted or hidden posts do not change the post numbers, it is obvious where there are gaps in the sequence.

Cheers,

Phil

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Why is that better than a system that takes you back to a specific post, though?

How is it easier to scroll back to the post, make a note of the post number, then type a response telling another user they now have to scroll back to the post number you have quoted?

Edited by Corbs
Viscous fluid on screen
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

That 's  the point, no matter how many times it is clicked, it keeps re-appearing.

Ah. Can I ask what browser you are using? I could do some digging to see if there is an issue that could cause that. The first thing I would usually suggest would be to clear cookies, but I don't think that will help in this case.

3 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

I'm no expert, but I  think that is  a function of the forum software. On other forums I  frequent, deleted or hidden posts do not change the post numbers, it is obvious where there are gaps in the sequence.

If this software worked like that then I would agree with you about keeping them, however I still don't see it as a better system that the one this new software has

Gary

19 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

Perhaps you need to set notification preferences? Do that by clicking on the “bell” icon at top right of the screen. 

I have tried that, unchecked a few boxes but still the same.

5 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Why is that better than a system that takes you back to a specific post, though?

Never said it was any better, just my personal preference.  If pushed, I would say that referring to a number, seems easier  than dragging a possibly large chunk of test into a new post ( yes, it can be avoided by using display text) but seems more involved somehow.   Just me being a Luddite , I guess. It's getting late, so each to his own.  :-)

10 minutes ago, BlueLightning said:

Ah. Can I ask what browser you are using? I could do some digging to see if there is an issue that could cause that. The first thing I would usually suggest would be to clear cookies, but I don't think that will help in this case.

Using Firefox on the  desktop and laptop, currently,  Silk on the tablet.

• RMweb Gold

The question about post numbers or links depends on whether the destination is on the same page or not. If it is only a few posts back on the same page, it is much easier to roll back to see it and then roll forward again. If it is several pages back it is much easier to click a link than try to find the whereabouts of a specific post number.

There is also a total difference between the post ID number in the database, which doesn't change and could easily be displayed and referenced e.g. 3455017 (the last post before this), and the ordinal number in the topic, e.g. 39th post.

The post ID number can be seen by hovering over the "Posted n minutes ago" link at the top of a post, and looking in the browser bottom status bar, and could be quoted in a post if you wish.

edit: this post is 3455018 and that number won't change. That's 3.5 million posts on RMweb -- no wonder they are taking a while to index. :)

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Theo C. Cupier said:

Using Firefox on the  desktop and laptop, currently,  Silk on the tablet.

OK in Firefox it is possible to turn this feature off altogether.

1. Press the Menu button in the top left  Capture.JPG.ba1a96e81b8adceef899f249c13e87ad.JPG

2. Select "Options"

3. In the options tab select "Privacy & Security"

4. Scroll down to "Permissions" it is quite close to the bottom

5. Next to "Notifications" press "Settings..."

6. At the bottom of this window is a check box labelled "Block new requests asking to allow notifications"

If you tick this box then you will not get that pop-up on any page any more when using Firefox. I am not familiar with Silk, but I am happy to have a look into how to do this on that for you in the morning.

Gary

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the help. but I think my Firefox may be out of date, the Privacy and Security  are separate tabs, none of which has a permissions option.  The Contents tab has a Notifications option  which includes Do Not Disturb, but that only applies to the current session and is reset on restart.

• RMweb Gold

If you can get me the version number of your Firefox I shall see if I can find out how to do it. THis should be on the "About Firefox" page, usually listed under "help" on the menu.

I'm off to bed now, however I can drop you a PM with instructions in the morning.

Gary

Edit. My advise would be to always update any software that connects to the Internet to the latest version though. For the same reasons RMWeb needed an upgrade 

Edited by BlueLightning

2 hours ago, Theo C. Cupier said:
3 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I have tried that, unchecked a few boxes but still the same.

OK, looking further, as others have said, this is a Firefox issue, not strictly RMWeb (though the latest upgrade may be causing it where the old wasn't). But you will need to fix it in Firefox. RMWeb can't do it for you.

This link might help: https://forums.aaca.org/topic/274419-would-you-like-to-receive-notifications/

Can I also encourage you to listen to BlueLightning's advice - keep your web browser as up-to-date to date as possible. Ideally, set it to automatically update. You'll hardly notice it happening, and will benefit enormously from the added security.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Happy to report that the reinstatement of attachments (and boxes round quoted text)  seems to be going well. It is now back to page 8 of 84, about 3 years ago, on my topic.

All my attachments and boxes from post 1 onward are back now, which is pleasing.

However, I've found one anomaly that I don't think has been mentioned so far.

In my custom activity stream, which I have created to replicate my old "view my content" list, tags are not appearing properly. They seem to come and go at random and in no case are all the tags visible - for example, my topic has 8 tags (which are all present and correct when the topic itself is open) but only one shows up on my activity stream at the moment. Anyone else noticed this and, if so, found a solution, or is it part of the overall "catching up" process?

Morning all well at 1st every time i logged in my password wasn't recognised so i had to resubmit a password. That all seems ok now.

But the topics that i have followed over the years are harder to find and some older ones have lost pictures attached to them.

I have to say i much prefered the old set up in that respect and thought it was easier to navigate.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

John I know its a pain but try logging in from a different browser to see if thats works ok, preferably one you havent used for Rmweb before

I have the same issue, I have to reset my  password every time. I have tried different computers (including a freshly set up iPad) and browsers, no change. Doesn’t seem cookie related. 

I am sure it will get sorted in time. 

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to add to the workload at the moment but I'm unable to upload any images to the forum. I've been trying both pngs and jpegs of different sizes.

The error message is "There was a problem processing the uploaded file: -200".

I've tried various workarounds but can't get it to work yet. I've been getting this error from early yesterday evening, late last night and again just now after machine had been turned back on.

Browser:the latest version of Chrome in Win64. I've also tried Edge but with no luck.

I tried to start a new topic to report this problem but that repeatedly failed too! :-(

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

47 minutes ago, spiket4 said:

and some older ones have lost pictures attached to them.

See alerts at top of page and many various topics discusdions about the site indexing taking a long time. Be patient, they will he there eventually.