New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

7 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I cannot make an upper-case J in normal text.

Works in code (not very helpful though!):

JJJJJJJJJJ

As your opening sentence does in fact include an upper case J, I’ll have to guess at the problem. Are you expecting it to have a horizontal cross piece at the top. Simple answer in that case is that the font style in use on the site in general is “sans serif” so there are no serifs atop letters or anywhere else. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Kiwi said:

Are you expecting it to have a horizontal cross piece at the top. Simple answer in that case is that the font style in use on the site in general is “sans serif” so there are no serifs atop letters or anywhere else. 

No, nothing to do with the font style.

I was expecting the upper case J to have no  descender .

Other upper-case characters here  A B C D F G etc have no descenders.

23 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

No, nothing to do with the font style.

I was expecting the upper case J to have no  descender .

Other upper-case characters here  A B C D F G etc have no descenders.

That’s still a font style matter. Fonts are loaded as a complete set, not as individual letters. I accept that it might be unusual to only have a descender on the J and no other capitals, but that’s what the particular font designer chose to do in this case. Nothing Andy can do about it, except change the entire font set. Hardly worth the trouble, surely?

Edit: the link you posted to wikipaedia says “Some fonts also use descenders for the tails on a few uppercase letters such as J and Q”. That is exactly the case here. 

Edited by Kiwi

12 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

Having to use the "Forgot Password" option to change my password and get logged in. That works fine, but if I log out, I'm not recognized the next time I try to log in, and have to reset my password each time. Is there a simple permanent fix to this as my brain is rapidly running out of password combinations...? Thanks.

12 hours ago, Andy Y said:

1. Read earlier posts. ;)

2. Delete site cookies from your browser and try again.

Thanks Andy, but unusually for me ('cos I'm lazy) I did read through all 19 pages :wacko: and I do clear cookies on a regular basis as a matter of course. I've come back to the site this morning and have the same issue. I can get logged in (or I wouldn't be posting this) but I have to do the "forgot password" routine each and every time. 4 times this morning plus a couple of times using a completely different browser as someone suggested. No change.

I don't see what else I can do, so I'm going to leave RMWeb alone for 24-36 hours and see if something magically fixes itself. I note that a couple of other users have raised the same issue since I posted yesterday, so it would seem that everything's fine for the majority of users but not for an unlucky few. I'll leave it alone and try again in a day or two.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Harlequin, looks like it's specific to you, I just tested it and had no trouble (Jpg on Chrome).

I wonder if I've hit some sort size limit in my account?

I was able to upload images to DropBox and GDrive but that doesn't help because I'm having a lot of trouble posting replies at the moment as well. I suspect that's just the RMWeb servers being under heavy load, though. I'll try again later. (Pot luck if this message will get through.)

Edit: After multiple failures to post, I flushed my DNS cache and refreshed my IP stack, Ctrl+F5, and bingo! This post got through. Maybe just luck. Will try an image upload next.

Further Edit: Image upload works for me again now. All very odd... (Apologies for adding to the noise here.)

Edited by Harlequin
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

I was able to upload images to DropBox and GDrive but that doesn't help because I'm having a lot of trouble posting replies at the moment as well. I suspect that's just the RMWeb servers being under heavy load, though. I'll try again later. (Pot luck if this message will get through.)

If those suspicions were correct we would all have the same issues right now, and most are not, so waiting probably won’t help. I just googled that error message and there are plenty of other examples around. It looks most likely either an issue with your computer settings (cookies disabled was one example quoted), or with your images (size, or content were cited as issues). Possibly Andy can look in the server logs to see if anything related to your user name stands out. 

Edited by Kiwi

• RMweb Gold

One thing that does work better is I can now post pictures from Flickr via a link copied from the Android app, and it automatically embeds them. The old forum showed them as links, you had to copy the bb code link from Flickr to embed them, which you can't get at on the Android app.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Kiwi said:

I accept that it might be unusual to only have a descender on the J and no other capitals, but that’s what the particular font designer chose to do in this case. 

It is true that the demented designer of Open Sans has chosen the single upper case character J not to have a descender, but the transcription of the font is more complicated, in this case, the upper case J should extend to the upper bound of the 'full cap' height. There are some known issues in the way some browser operating systems implement fonts, and this is clearly a case where, e,g, webkit and Blink (Chrome's engines) and the Mozilla engine have incorrect implementations of some font practices.

The way browser engines implement characters and placement of characters between the defined ascender and descender limits is exceptionally complicated, but the moral is always choose a common font, where the bugs have been ironed out.

It would be easy to take Open Sans out of the RMweb stylesheet.

• Informative/Useful 2

4 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

I chose if from the options available as the clearest to read, during the week I may prep some samples for discussion but no-one will agree on the best.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

edit: this post is 3455018 and that number won't change. That's 3.5 million posts on RMweb -- no wonder they are taking a while to index

3.5 million posts to index, 1000's of user logging in and complaining that it's slow or they can't find something, thus creating even more posts to index. I'm surprised the server hasn't just given up the ghost. Where's Marvin when you need him?

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

6 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

And even easier to leave it in. Sorry, I can’t agree with you point of view on this. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 57xx said:

3.5 million posts to index, 

And just short of a million images to tie in with them. RMweb started so that people could upload images direct to content but I wasn't expecting that many.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

I chose if from the options available as the clearest to read, during the week I may prep some samples for discussion but no-one will agree on the best.

The font and screen colour/layout are two of the many positives of the upgrade. The bit I think was a backwards step in navigation to my posts from the user name drop down I'm now used to and the Activity option works. The top arrow a big help.

question - I see from options we can hide a post, can we delete any of our own  posts or are they still only deleteable by reporting?

6 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

Oh, please don’t Andy :o

You know you’ll only end up with a “boaty macboatface” type answer. Comic sans, anyone?.....

• Agree 4
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, john new said:

question - I see from options we can hide a post, can we delete any of our own  posts or are they still only deleteable by reporting?

Hiding is like a soft delete. The post can only seen by the poster and can be recovered if necessary.

I've disabled full deletion for members to prevent accidental use or hissy fit disruption.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

Another little thing I noticed...

I used to use the 'manage blogs' option which appeared under my username dropdown at the top right of the screen to get quickly to my own blogs and see visits, feedback etc.

This seems to be gone now and the navigation to my own blogs via my profile takes 3 steps.

Could we have 'manage blogs' back when you have chance or is there another quick way to get to our own blogs?

Regards, Andy

Firstly thank you Andy for sorting out my login/ password so quickly.

You must be very busy, and I apologise if the problem mentioned below has been discussed elsewhere. I did try a search but was unable to find it.

I am using W10 in tablet mode and MS Edge. The drop-down menus (for example under 'Activities') vanish before I can select an option.

There were reports some years ago about this problem with W10 and Edge, but none recently and I presume that later W10 releases have resolved the problem. Certainly I have no problem with other websites.

I would be grateful for advice, or other peoples experience. 

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

And just short of a million images to tie in with them. RMweb started so that people could upload images direct to content but I wasn't expecting that many.

Whoopee! All the photos in my workbench topic are back now!

35 minutes ago, Andy Y said:

I've disabled full deletion for members to prevent accidental use or hissy fit disruption.

Yes, we've lost some good stuff that way, haven't we? As an LMS carriage enthusiast, I was glad I'd archived the invaluable topic in question.

Now I'm getting my head round it, I'm liking the upgrade, descending Js and all.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 2/1/2019 at 12:44 PM, 47137 said:

I am saddened to see all of the custom blocks on my blog have disappeared, they gave me a structure to work to. But perhaps they will reappear before the upgrade is finished.

- Richard.

On 2/1/2019 at 12:45 PM, AY Mod said:

I'll have a look into that next week Richard.

Andy - having slept on this, I'm seeing the new "sidebar" feature for blogs as an impetus to restructure my own blog and tidy up the contents. So If you find a way to restore old custom blocks, please don't overwrite my embrionic sidebar :-)

And looking at all the correspondence here I hope you get a day off soon.

- Richard.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

One suggestion, as if you haven't enough already Andy, can we have a link to the forum home at the top of each page please? Having to navigate is a little cumbersome. Apologies if that's already been suggested.

Cheers N

Just now, RedgateModels said:

Out of curiosity when was the last upgrade? Was it really 10 years ago nearly that we went "community"? 

October 2009.

The other milestone is that come March RMweb will have been within Warners' ownership as long is was in mine. 7 years each.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1