New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

2 hours ago, Moxy said:

If I may add a tip?

For those of us who have 'Location' in our profile, you've probably noticed the sofware shows 'LocationTownname' all as one word.  If you want to separate it, edit 'Location' to ':[space]Townname' then it will show correctly.  The software doesn't seem to accept '[space]Townname' without the punctuation. (I know, I've tried).

HTH

Moxy

Alternatively, a "non-breaking space" character works as well, with no need for the colon. Here's one to copy from between the quote marks: " " if it's any help. Also Alt-space on a Mac keyboard. Unicode U+00A0, Alt+0160 on a Windows keyboard I think, but not tested.

Edited by eastwestdivide
alternate entry methods

• Moderators
27 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

FIXED IT -- I can read RMweb again -- see:

:)

Martin.

Hate to break the news but those Themes will be disappearing otherwise I'll have to replicate work several times over but I will try some tweaks tomorrow.

• Friendly/supportive 1

45 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Hate to break the news but those Themes will be disappearing otherwise I'll have to replicate work several times over but I will try some tweaks tomorrow.

Worth taking a look at the screenshots I posted over there:

Oo-er, I tried to put a link to that topic, and it's displaying it in-line.

Okay forget everything I said before, as I have found my "old" original account, not sure how this has happened as it logged in no problem as "muddysblues" as an existing user with my password as well !!!

when it should have been "muddys-blues" !!! @AY Mod 

Best regards

Craig.

• Informative/Useful 2

7 minutes ago, muddysblues said:

muddysblues

@AY Mod there you go Andy I logged out then logged straight back into "muddysblues" with the same password !!! is there anyway you could delete the "muddysblues" account ? it seems I have a duplicate account !!

Best regards

Craig.

Will sort that tomorrow, cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not normally a troglodyte but this forum software upgrade is not making me feel warm and cozy....Too much white space.  And I don't use a small screen device for RM WEB so I wonder how it plays there.  I guess I am at an age where I don't mind a bit of clutter on the screen. It goes with an aging mind.

I used to travel around US and Canada as a so called consultant installing software and performing upgrades for clients of the very large successful software company I used to work for. We used to have to help the clients quell user insurrections when the user interface changed.  Either that or get out of town quickly and hoped they paid the consulting bill.

Anyway, Andy, I wish you luck.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have been on this site for over ten years and this is the second or maybe third time the site has been updated. Each time the reasons for doing it were clear and each I have disliked the new format for a time but each time I have got used to the new ways of doing things and within six months would not have wanted to go back to how they were. The first day with this update working I could not do what I wanted to and was unhappy but remembered what had happened in the past. Gave it a couple more days and I am rapidly getting used to the new site. One word of warning, I found it very hard to set this gs up on my phone so used my laptop to sort a few this out and then went back to the phone and "bingo" it all worked as expected. Patience and an inquisitive mind work wonders and before anyone says it is alright for youngsters I will point out I am 65 in July, so if this old un can do so can you! 

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 12:30 PM, MJI said:

Got to admit I prefer the old layout, I like the grids, the less bright and the visible buttons.

Also I keep getting acosted for "Would you like to receive notifications" what is that about?

Also miss the easy to find content as well.

Same here prefered the old site,  cannot find my content now, seems much harder

look what they did with Hattons   I am old school use a computer every thing seems

geared to using the latest phones,  may be better for the younger members but not me.

Edited by paul 27
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, paul 27 said:

I am old school user a computer every thing is geared to using the latest phones so may be better for the young members but not me.

I'm sure Andy will be able to confirm the steep rise in RMweb mobile use over the last few years. Social media software has been relentlessly driven downmarket by the small mobile screen, but the conundrum nowadays is that the old definition of mobile is itself becoming outdated as tablet use increases and tablet screens become higher definition.  That said, having a mouse or other pointy thing is definitely regarded as mediaeval !

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Miss Prism said:

I'm sure Andy will be able to confirm the steep rise in RMweb mobile use over the last few years. Social media software has been relentlessly driven downmarket by the small mobile screen, but the conundrum nowadays is that the old definition of mobile is itself becoming outdated as tablet use increases and tablet screens become higher definition.  That said, having a mouse or other pointy thing is definitely regarded as mediaeval !

I still use a mouse, its a darn site quicker and more accurate than the pad thing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

• RMweb Gold

Very happy with the new software, well done Andy and everyone involved. 

One query, and apologies if this has been asked already - but is it possible to have an option so notification emails don't have the images from the post included?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello, just something I've picked up on, in the current incarnation of the forum software, when someone quotes a post with images in it, it includes the images in the new post. Would it be possible to change it so the images turn back into hyperlinks when quoted? As people tend to quote in order to reply and this quickly results in threads becoming clogged with duplicated images over and over.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

If I might make an observation on the password continual re-entering issue? I was having this until I quite by chance noticed that the space in-between the two words of my display name had gone Ian Holmes had become IanHolmes. Using IanHolmes I have to re enter the password. Right now using Ian Holmes I don't appear to have an issue

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting.  Unfortunately despite clearing cookies, trying a different browser, etc I am still having to request a password reset every single time (the 'Remember Me' Stay Logged In type function doesn't seem to work either!)  Says the Display Name is not on the list or something yet it does allow me to reset my password via my registered email address.

Something definitely isn't working somewhere.

Scrub that, it's working now!!!!

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

the old definition of mobile is itself becoming outdated as tablet use increases and tablet screens become higher definition.  That said, having a mouse or other pointy thing is definitely regarded as mediaeval !

Unfortunately human vision does not.

Going above a certain definition is just promotional bullsh*t

4K sctreens on mobile phones? Pull the other one.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, LongRail said:

Can’t find new content and not as easy to get back to top of page can’t see how you can choose how to view a managed thread alwayscstarts on first page at the moment all seems a backward step

Back to Top button is the large grey arrow in lower right side of screen pointing back to top. 

The rest is all described here: 

• Like 1