New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold

Observation, I was looking through 'Content I follow' and my 'Depots' thread was highlighted, I went to 'Layouts' and there it was, halfway down the first page highlighted, the last post was Jonathan's from Tuesday morning that I'd seen. It wasn't highlighted earlier. Strange. @AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

A couple of things:

1. I notice that some users "reputation" ratings have been reset to 0 and are rebuilding from there, for example yours and mine! Is that something we're just waiting for the software to catch up with?

2. Large images in posts don't seem to expand to the their full size when clicked. E.g. this was 2400 pixels wide when posted but appears to be ~1200 wide both inline in the post and when clicked: 

(Ah, nice new link expansion!)

Aside: The new style is very clean and I don't personally have a problem with the "brightness". It's very similar to the programs that I use day in day out: Source code editors, email client, the drawing programs, various online services, etc., etc...

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

2. Large images in posts don't seem to expand to the their full size when clicked. E.g. this was 2400 pixels wide when posted but appears to be ~1200 wide both inline in the post and when clicked: 

I've set it as a max 1200 width and height for now but may review that when I see how the responsiveness works across different devices - it's also to do with file size reformatting as I need to take mobile data into account etc.

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Observation, I was looking through 'Content I follow' and my 'Depots' thread was highlighted, I went to 'Layouts' and there it was, halfway down the first page highlighted, the last post was Jonathan's from Tuesday morning that I'd seen. It wasn't highlighted earlier. Strange. @AY Mod

It's all part of the system catching up; expect anomalies - it's the new norm.

• Thanks 1

OK s the previous version had a box on the homepage with my followed topics.

Now either lost or too well hidden.  As in - why is it easier to get to manage my followed topics" than to viewing them.

Also your interface needs to give a positive indication when a login has failed, which it presently doesn't.  As a retired examiner for GCSE ICT I can state you developer has just failed his GCSE practical.....

Les

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

A couple of things if I may:

- the site wouldn't let me log in using my username/sitename and password (as advised). However, the reset password process worked fine.

- using the activity stream, you don't get the dot or star on the left of the topic heading, to take you to the first unread post, which was very useful. You do still get that if you go to each forum however. Will it be coming back - please?

Cheers,

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, pwr said:

sorry I am not a fan. I dont like the 4 warning boxes at the top of the screen and the white background makes it difficult to read

The warning boxes will go when those things are fixed - I need people to see them (doesn't mean they read them before they ask what they could have already read). The background isn't white, it's a very pale blue/grey and if I darken that it impacts on other elements so until I can adjust those it's the optimum balance.

If you see it as white you may need to adjust your monitor settings anyway.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

OK s the previous version had a box on the homepage with my followed topics.

Now either lost or too well hidden.  As in - why is it easier to get to manage my followed topics" than to viewing them.

Also your interface needs to give a positive indication when a login has failed, which it presently doesn't.  As a retired examiner for GCSE ICT I can state you developer has just failed his GCSE practical.....

Jeez, it's Day 1!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've set it as a max 1200 width and height for now but may review that when I see how the responsiveness works across different devices - it's also to do with file size reformatting as I need to take mobile data into account etc.

Understood. Some images need to be big to show the necessary detail so hopefully there will eventually be a way to see the original size somehow.

Thanks.

23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Nice to see people looking and learning as they go!

Beats writing an instruction manual as no one reads 'em. I was going to do some Youtube 'how to' videos but the unboxing video took far too long. :p

Ta

I've just created my own activity stream cutting out all the reactions, sort of the old 'New Content' option - being able to see what people are actually posting is great as you can ignore the stuffing and just click on the actual new content when it comes.

This is a really good upgrade

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

Jeez, it's Day 1!

After a long time spent FINLLY arriving back at the password I started with (which was previously working and autosaved in the browser) having been through all of my other passwords in turn I'm not really in a forgiving mood.  Basic functionality isn't an add-on.

Les

• Moderators
Just now, woodenhead said:

I've just created my own activity stream cutting out all the reactions, sort of the old 'New Content' option - being able to see what people are actually posting is great as you can ignore the stuffing and just click on the actual new content when it comes.

This is a really good upgrade

When you get into it more you can select which forum/sub-forum areas you want to include/exclude from the feed too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Observation : When a new status update is posted, it briefly flashes the whole of the text, then reverts to a few lines with trailing ellipses.

The only way (I can find, so far) to see the whole message is top click on the member's name/avatar, which takes me to that user's profile. (This explains why my own profile has been viewed so many times since I posted a status update).

• RMweb Premium

Well, I like it.  A couple of minor things, had to reset my password which was no real bother.  Also my phone keeps defaulting to the Mobile Friendly version which is annoying. (Mobile Versions of websites are one of my top ten entries into Romm 101, I just cannot get on with them!)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't believe some of the ignorant, intolerant and downright rude posts appearing on this thread!

If you (and you know who you are) really don't like it, other forums are available, or start your own! Good luck with that.

This is a FREE resource (and a very good one at that) for heaven's sake, and a lot of hard work goes in to it.

And I'm quite happy with the new look, for the record.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

32 minutes ago, pwr said:

sorry I am not a fan. I dont like the 4 warning boxes at the top of the screen and the white background makes it difficult to read

Paul R

I think you will find from Andy's Post#1 that they are temporary Paul.

Hi Andy,

My "Member's Total Reputation" is sitting at zero. Is this something that will self correct as the new software settles down or have I lost all my previous feedback? Also what are the "Warning Points"?

Other than that the update doesn't look too bad.

Dave R.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy,

I've just had a look at this version on my mobile, and the 'New Posting since the last look' blob/star doesn't appear next to a thread title on my screen. Is this a feature of the mobile version to save space, or something to do with my mobile settings, or something which is intended to be included and will be along eventually?  Solved this - see post number (no post numbers available) on the next page.

I'm not too fussed with the off-white appearance;  in comparison with some of the other fora I was reading during the off-line period it is fine!

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all your efforts Andy, good to see RMweb back up and running. At the moment it seems difficult to zero in on threads I was particularly interested in. If anything it demonstrates to me how valuable the search index is. I'm sure that this will settle down once the indexing is complete (I have clicked on and read the warning boxes). Though it feels a bit new and different I'm sure that it'll end up being just as intuitive as the old version after a short while. The more practice the sooner that will be.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1