New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Nickey Line said:

I can't believe some of the ignorant, intolerant and downright rude posts appearing on this thread!

If you (and you know who you are) really don't like it, other forums are available, or start your own! Good luck with that.

This is a FREE resource (and a very good one at that) for heaven's sake, and a lot of hard work goes in to it.

And I'm quite happy with the new look, for the record.

They are just opinions.

The old one was very user friendly, I'm really struggling with this.

And I find it find it a bit rude telling people who are not very tech savvy to go elsewhere.

I know its free and its been a very good forum and yes people have put a lot of work into it and for thatbi am thankful

• Like 1
  • Agree 14

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, DIW said:

Hi Andy,

I've just had a look at this version on my mobile, and the 'New Posting since the last look' blob/star doesn't appear next to a thread title on my screen. Is this a feature of the mobile version to save space, or something to do with my mobile settings, or something which is intended to be included and will be along eventually?

I'm not too fussed with the off-white appearance;  in comparison with some of the other fora I was reading during the off-line period it is fine!

I've solved this - logged out then back in again on the mobile, and the 'blobs' are back!

• Informative/Useful 1

I really fancy some warning points now please.

The white is a bit bright in my deep dark dungeon but the monitor has a brightness button I can live with that.  I'm not sure about the home page to be honest, its really just a newest posts page that makes it seem a bit cluttered as a home page, although I like the feature where forums with new posts are shown in bold, that is most useful. 

The followed content tab is a little awkward to track down, buts its there, I think the main problem us not technophobia just that its different.  I reckon spending a little bit of time experimenting with everything and I'll have found my way round, I'd suggest other folks try a bit of trial and error as well.

Andy I love you and want to turtle wax your head.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, russ p said:

They are just opinions.

The old one was very user friendly, I'm really struggling with this.

And I find it find it a bit rude telling people who are not very tech savvy to go elsewhere.

I know its free and its been a very good forum and yes people have put a lot of work into it and for thatbi am thankful

If you had read all the the posts you would see that some posts are beyond 'opinions'.

Edited by Nickey Line

• RMweb Gold

I always used the posts since last visit that's gone and you can't go or don't seem to be able to go to the most recent post on a thread.

Seems to be to many buttons to press than before

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, russ p said:

I always used the posts since last visit that's gone and you can't go or don't seem to be able to go to the most recent post on a thread.

Seems to be to many buttons to press than before

Ive noticed that too. On the "Content you follow" tab, theres no way to go to the newest page.  On regular topics, if you click the (time last post happened) text it appears to bring you to the newest page, but not the newest post.  While its not breaking by any means, its additional clicks which werent needed before.

Seems RMweb now suffers from that trend of "simplifying things" which only makes it harder to actually do what you want. 

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Looks good so far Andy - many thanks for all your hard work. 

I like the new look - looks clean and fresh and quite smart too. 

I really do like the option to upload photos, especially  from my mobile - a godsend when updating my threads - thank you! 

I will admit I'm struggling to get my head around the 'Activity' areas, mainly as I can't seem to find the threads that I was subscribed to. However, I'm sure that it will sort itself out and I'll figure things out as I go. Do miss the 'My Content' button though! 

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Boris said:

1. I really fancy some warning points now please.

2.  I'm not sure about the home page to be honest, its really just a newest posts page that makes it seem a bit cluttered as a home page, although I like the feature where forums with new posts are shown in bold, that is most useful. 

1. I can't be expected to get everything back to normal on day 1.

2. It's usefulness will come a little later when all the indexing is done and as a portal into some of the new features.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for all the hard work Andy.  One thing that's prob not a priority but could become annoying with frequency:

I responded to someone's status update earlier.  Then, any time anyone else responded to the thread I got a notification to say Tom/Dick/Harry had responded which basically seems unnecssary?

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, but when I look in my profile, before the upgrade, I had all my friends and visitors listed. They have all vanished. I can’t find my pm’s either.

Finally, I’m one who has zero reputation - I hope it will improve with time.

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction. I could be a bit thick since I’m not a computer expert.

Its certainly all very good otherwise, and I look forward to posting in my East Yorkshire Photo’s thread.

Regards,

Rob.

• Agree 1

Played around for an hour or so and hopefully using the 'create activity stream' I have recreated my old 'view new content'.

I like it, I find it looks clean and easy to read, no complaints whatsoever.

Edited by Free At Last
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Spitfire2865 said:

Ive noticed that too. On the "Content you follow" tab, theres no way to go to the newest page.  On regular topics, if you click the (time last post happened) text it appears to bring you to the newest page, but not the newest post.  While its not breaking by any means, its additional clicks which werent needed before.

Seems RMweb now suffers from that trend of "simplifying things" which only makes it harder to actually do what you want. 

Give things time whilst the indexing catches up - how many times am I going to have to say that?

Don't buy a new car, TV, phone, washing machine etc - they all have more features on them than old ones.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the hard work Andy, I wouldn't have your job for all the tea in China.  I personally hate the new look, but like everything I'll get used to it!  I appreciate upgrades are needed for security purposes.

As a IT-o-phobe it will take a while to learn how to replace the 'new content' button which was my default setting, and the favourites, but I accept that's my issue not the forum's.  Time is a grea healer, in a month we'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, bigwordsmith said:

One question for you- how do I rename my layout thread?

More easily than before, just go to the first post in the topic and click on Edit.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

A little bit of constructive feedback hopefully. I am looking at this on an iPad Pro so things may be different on a computer. I’ve been around IT and web development for 20 odd years, so can appreciate how you’ve felt over the past few days, just remember you can’t please everyone! 

To me the front screen just looks messy - no criticism just a descriptive word. All the sub sections now being separated by commas rather than tabs makes life an awful lot harder on mobile where the provision of a finger is not as precise. I had two attempts at going into one of the sub forums and got there on the third. Probably ok with a mouse, but if your considering whether to return to the tabulated view, to my mind it’s far easier to navigate on mobile and easier to read on the eyes.

it will take a bit if getting used to the modernised layout, but nobody (including me!!!) likes change. Well done with your work, all you can do now is see if people take to it or not! 

Rich

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well done to Andy (and the team who helped you). I know how difficult it is to do any sort of website or IT upgrade.

Loving the new mobile format, will save me having to do a switch between mobile and desktop version that I used to have to do to upload anything.

Great stuff.

Cheers, Chris

• Thanks 1

Some general comments.

The new look is largely the result of Google and the changing nature of the Internet.  As more and more people use mobile devices (either phones or tablets) as their only way of accessing the net Google has responded and tweaked their search algorithms to take how mobile friendly a website is in the search result rankings.  This in turn means the software that RMweb runs on, like most, have changed to reflect this reality and thus default to a more mobile friendly format.  While not necessarily ideal for those still using a normal computer with a large screen, it is what it is.

Staying with old software is simply not an option as unmaintained software is a security nightmare and just asking for trouble.

Overall well done not just to Andy but everyone else involved in what was a very large effort, and the layout like any other change in life will become less of an issue as not only do we all get used to it but the site settles in and the rest of the features gradually become available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Fault I just found.

If you quote someone, then try to remove said quote, you cant delete the actual quote formatting, only the message.

To delete it, (Alt+Right click) and click remove quote.  Then the comment locks up and you cant type anything.

If you choose remove quote contents it works. 

Not sure why both options are needed. 

Correction.  Deleting message contents the old fashioned way, the quote box locks up and must be deleted by alt+right click and "remove quote"

if you hit the other option the comment locks up.  

Hard to explain...

Edited by Spitfire2865

Going reasonably for me. Only noticeable effect is that using tha back button on Firefox gives a sluggish result, it gets there in the end though!

Well done for all involved in the hard work.

John

• Thanks 1