New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Londontram said:

What the fcuk gone wrong now?

There was a technical failure in your brain, which caused your tolerance setting to reduce to zero.

The cure is to sit down with a nice boiled egg.

cheers,

Martin.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 11

I got a surprising 'Your registration is complete!' email from rmweb last night... then another, and another... there's been a few.
Came to see what's going on, couldn't log on, had to reset my password... let's see if I keep getting emails.

• RMweb Premium

Three emails received here but for a user name I do not use!!

22:56, 00:26 & 00:47.

Edit - Just checked my other email addresses and also have 3 x emails for my 'normal' username :o

Edited by nigcuberail
Additional info

• RMweb Gold
On 13 February 2019 at 19:32, BoD said:

I'm have a minor, in the grand scheme of things, problem at this end.

When I'm browsing on my IPad, which is the device I use most, the new version of RMweb mutes any music I have playing in the background.  Other Apps or websites only do this when they are actually playing media and the old versions of RMweb never did this.  

Like I said, a very minor issue compared to all else but an irritation non the less.

This seems to have resolved itself as I am now listening to music as I browse RMweb. if it is something that Mr York has done, i am most grateful.  If Mr York was not involved I'm still grateful for all he has done and continues to do.

It wasn't anything I did as I still refuse to spend silly amounts on new hardware.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, BoD said:

If Mr York was not involved I'm still grateful for all he has done and continues to do.

If I did anything productive it was accidental and an unintended consequence. My wife can testify to this level of competence.

• Like 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Is there any possibility of reinstating post numbers? Its taken me ages to find a post from a couple of weeks ago. I know of the objections to post numbers, about if another post is cancelled or deleted it alters all subsequent numbers but is this such a problem? The percentage of deleted posts must be very small compared to the number of posts made so deleted posts shouldn't be a major problem, in the past if I found a numbered post had changed its number it was usually a simple matter to page up until it was found. Could not any deleted posts be replaced with a message such as @Deleted by Admin/poster' or 'Cancelled by poster'?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Is there any possibility of reinstating post numbers? Its taken me ages to find a post from a couple of weeks ago. I know of the objections to post numbers, about if another post is cancelled or deleted it alters all subsequent numbers but is this such a problem? The percentage of deleted posts must be very small compared to the number of posts made so deleted posts shouldn't be a major problem, in the past if I found a numbered post had changed its number it was usually a simple matter to page up until it was found. Could not any deleted posts be replaced with a message such as @Deleted by Admin/poster' or 'Cancelled by poster'?

I'm afraid not. I've looked into it and it works completely differently.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Apologies if this has already been answered but why are there no post numbers now?  Previously you could refer to a previous post number.

If only I could quote the post number for this post all of two above .......

On 25/02/2019 at 21:49, AY Mod said:

I'm afraid not. I've looked into it and it works completely differently.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On ‎25‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:25, PhilJ W said:

Would the 'Bookmark' facility help?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

If only I could quote the post number for this post all of two above .......

That post number is 3478605

You can quote it by posting a link to it:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141839-new-forum-software/&do=findComment&comment=3478605

To get the link, right-click on the words "posted Monday at 20:16".

cheers,

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 3

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, OhOh said:

Would the 'Bookmark' facility help?

That's why I brought it in. Martin's given good advice above too and there's also use of the share icon to get a post number.

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

That post number is 3478605

You can quote it by posting a link to it:

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141839-new-forum-software/&do=findComment&comment=3478605

To get the link, right-click on the words "posted Monday at 20:16".

It's not the number of the post in the thread, though (there clearly aren't 3.5 million posts in this thread) which I think is what people are asking for, harking back to the old "as I wrote is post #230 of this thread" kind of reference*.  But if you have to go to the trouble of pulling up the URL of the direct link to the post you want to reference in order to find out its "number", I reckon you might as well just put that link in your post - as you do so rightly say.

* Which IMO was a pain if it was several pages back and you had to keep paging back to find it

Edited by ejstubbs