New forum software

Message added by AY Mod

Before posting any faults found in this topic please check that it has not already been addressed in earlier posts such as New Content, Last unread post etc and why the update was necessary.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, rodent279 said:

Is there a mobile friendly site like before, or is this it?

It's scaleable from Desktop through to Mobile, all in the same skin.

• Thanks 1

How do you get to see a list of the 'Content I follow'?

I am getting lots of posts on busy threads, but cannot get an overview of what I follow. I have tried various switches, including 'any time', 'content items only', content type - topics ticked and no others.

I used to have 7 pages of threads I follow, some busy like 'Wright Writes' and 'Song Title Game', initially I just got lots of posts, although I thought that ticking only ‘threads’ would overrule that. It does not.

I want to look up some of the threads that have information about modelling techniques, but since they have no recent posts they do not appear to be visible. I could go to Google and search the forum that way, but if I have to leave the forum to use it, then the functionality of the forum is compromised.

I am sorry to say that like some others I find the new look too cluttered in both style and function. If there is a ‘use old style option’, I would happily switch that on and continue to sue the forum as I have for the past few years.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'm sure the ability to switch on full Geocities display mode (black text on dark blue background, hundreds of animated Gifs) will come eventually

Still picking bits of apple out of my keyboard after reading that... :D

On a forum feature note, I love the bit where you can highlight some text and then just click "Quote Selection" for the reply (how I picked out Phil's post above). Should save lots of editing time. :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Simple answer? I don't know.

The reason I don't know? No-one can tell me.

Why can't they tell me? Because they don't know how long a lengthy, complex and slow process will take with almost 1 million images.

Im liking the new site so far - getting a bit of used to but for me it's cleaner than the old one and I'm sure in a week or so the old will be forgotten. good work!

I do hope the photos are fixed though. Sorry to be a pain asking but is this on the hit list to be fixed? I only ask as I've edited some of my posts to included but there are photos that other members have added and I doubt they'll add them to mine.  I'm not bothered on timescale just after knowing if i should continue editing what i have or stop and wait a while 

Cheers

Will

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

I am sorry to say that like some others I find the new look too cluttered in both style and function. If there is a ‘use old style option’, I would happily switch that on and continue to sue the forum as I have for the past few years.

Jamie

Every time RMweb gets updated, people always prefer the old version. Normally they don't threaten legal action however.

Look & Feel issues can be fiddled with later. At the moment it's like complaining about the shade of wallpaper while the builders are putting the roof on. 

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• Moderators
1 minute ago, dj_crisp said:

I do hope the photos are fixed though. Sorry to be a pain asking but is this on the hit list to be fixed?

Nah; thought I'd give it a miss as it's too difficult.

My wife says I'm a sarcastic prat. ;)

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

Activity > My Activity Streams > Content I follow

Except there are now a whole load of filters none of which will display the content I used to follow, and when I try to expand them, they say 'no more content'.

Sorry this is not working.

Jamie

EDIT

I will expand. I wish to see the full list of topics I follow and in the order that they had at least one update.

Now I have followed this topic I am seeing a whole list of comments from this topic and also a few from other topics, but I am not able to see topics that were last updated a few wesks ago which have useful information in them about project I am currently undertaking.

It is very likely that some combination of filters in the Activity > My Activity Streams > Content I follow will show me hat I want, but it does not default to teh old setting and so far the various combinations I have tried do not get what I use dto get by default.

Just to put this in perspective, I have worked with computers for over 30 years and lecture in computer graphics, including graphic design etc. so I am not a computer illiterate.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I can't believe some of the ignorant, intolerant and downright rude posts appearing on this thread!

If you (and you know who you are) really don't like it, other forums are available, or start your own! Good luck with that.

This is a FREE resource (and a very good one at that) for heaven's sake, and a lot of hard work goes in to it.

And I'm quite happy with the new look, for the record.

I have not seen any rudes ones, lots of comments but no rudeness, we KNOW it is a work in progress.

But the old layout was nicer as it was easier to navigate.

Also due to using computers a LONG time I am not a fan of minimalist UIs and the removal of 3D cues.

We do appreciate the need to change, but it is the usual modern thing of add the features and trash the UI.

• Agree 6

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

Except there are now a whole load of filters none of which will display the content I used to follow, and when I try to expand them they say 'no more conten't.

Sorry this is not working.

Jamie

Which is what Andy has said several times already. Believe it or not, he IS trying to fix this stuff.

worker.gif

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Stubby47 said:

Does no-one have any patience any more ???????

Nope. I ordered something from Amazon today and have already put in a complaint that it didn't arrive yesterday.

• Like 2
  • Funny 11

5 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

In which case should the forum be back on line, or should it at least have a banner saying that it is only partly functional?

I expect it will all be resolved. I will come back at the weekend and see how it is going.

Jamie

Nah; thought I'd give it a miss as it's too difficult.

My wife says I'm a sarcastic prat. ;)

I'm all for an easy life too :)

(Like not editing posts for photos.... LOL). 

Enjoy your beer and keep up the good work!!

Cheers

Will

• Like 5

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Jamiel said:

In which case should the forum be back on line, or should it at least have a banner saying that it is only partly functional?

Have you seen those red and orange things? Or read all of the paragraphs in my OP?

• Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Or people could read this thread's OP rather than just replying to it and ignoring the info in there.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just testing a feature.

Go to first unread post, works fine phew!

Just need now the content list so we can see our posted on threads.

But of course we will wait patiently.

• RMweb Gold

Andy,

Many thanks for all your hard work.  I remember the software I used to mange at work and the issues caused by upgrades, the ones I can see here are relatively minor compared to work - in my days at work data could go missing for extended periods before reappearing!

So far I like most of the changes, it all seems quite simple to use.  

Photo upload is easy, adding the captions where I like them took a few moments to sort out.

I'm sure I'll soon find my way round.

Oh - the main reason for this post.  I have noticed that in my photo thread the photos are starting to reappear. - the most recent ones seem to appearing first.

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I expect it will all be resolved. I will come back at the weekend and see how it is going.

Jamie

Good grief don't take it down again. My counsellor is still treating me for the last few days.......:shout_mini:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, DaveF said:

the most recent ones seem to appearing first.

Thanks David, that does give me some indication of how it's working and the decision to bring live users back in to trigger the indexing is obviously working too. It'll never be as fast as we'd all want but I'm sure it'll get there.

• Like 2

Glad the site is back.

Will take a bit of getting used to the new theme, but other than being a bit bright for me it looks fairly clean. I appreciate it complicates matters, but if it proves possible, a night/dark theme would be a nice addition at a later date perhaps.

Keep up the good work Andy.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1