Loco grilles from embossed styrene sheet?

Does anyone know if there exists such an embossed plastikard fine-lined sheet that is suitable for cutting out to make diesel/electric loco (or similar) grilles in 4mm?

In the past I've just chopped up old loco bodyshells, cut a square and fitted them in but It would be easier if there was a plastic sheet available. I'm thinking along the lines of Class 81, RTC stock etc. I don't think there's anything in the Slaters range. Maybe there is another solution for making grilles that aren't available.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andrew,

I cut a strip of plasticard slightly larger than needed and then use a hacksaw or junior hacksaw to scribe the grills into the plasticard. The method I use is to hold the plasticard strip against the flat face of a file and then use the frame of the saw as a guide.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I often use Evergreen 4031 for grilles - other sizes are available.

This is the "grille" on a Network Rail Generator conversion

6263.jpg.a1bffee38c9f6b2408d81444e835e779.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Andrew F said:

Thanks Gibbo, that's pretty hardcore.

That's a real help Mick; thanks for that photo.  I got a measurement from it from the hinges and it won't be that far off for doing the generator vents on RTC mk1's.

Hi Andrew,

Here is one I did earlier it is for a refurbished Class 84 and I used a junior hacksaw;

DSCF0632.JPG.d132877163ecf965707f8d9198d52735.JPG

I have some filing and filling to do before the grills are to be fitted.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Andrew F said:

Does anyone know if there exists such an embossed plastikard fine-lined sheet that is suitable for cutting out to make diesel/electric loco (or similar) grilles in 4mm?

In the past I've just chopped up old loco bodyshells, cut a square and fitted them in but It would be easier if there was a plastic sheet available. I'm thinking along the lines of Class 81, RTC stock etc. I don't think there's anything in the Slaters range. Maybe there is another solution for making grilles that aren't available.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy

Depending on what grilles I am modelling will depend on the material I am using and the technique. Fine grilles I scribe suitable plastic card. Some grilles are made up from suitable width microstrip. Some can be made from embossed plastic card. It is a case of looking at the prototype and thinking what would be best for that.

Class 81 grilles, fine microstrip.

• Like 1

Cheers Gibbo and Clive. I like your style. 

Clive. When you make grilles with microstrip do you use rod or square. I've tried .010 rod and it's too small really so I'll give .020 rod a go with a flat .020 border for the 81 and maybe make a mould so they all come out the same...........universally poor if my past efforts are anything to go by.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Andrew F said:

Cheers Gibbo and Clive. I like your style. 

Clive. When you make grilles with microstrip do you use rod or square. I've tried .010 rod and it's too small really so I'll give .020 rod a go with a flat .020 border for the 81 and maybe make a mould so they all come out the same...........universally poor if my past efforts are anything to go by.

Hi Andrew,

It depends on the loco I have used 10 thou for some jobs.

I find if I mark either side of the panel on the center line and use this as my datum I have neater grilles. Lay the first length of microstrip on the center line, then working alternate sides slowly build up the grille.

grille.png.1fd682b58ee69dc82a4cc3da5ef9864a.png

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm really gonna have to have a look through your threads Gibbo, when I get some time; seems we have similar interests......old electrics/cartic-4 etc.

The 84 started life as a Triang AL1 did it? It looks smart so far. I'd like to build an MTK 83 if I can find one. Bashing about an old Triang would be great but aren't the bogies more like a Class 82? 

I'm cutting into my Bachy 85 at the moment;  removing the grilles with a razor-saw........tricky work!

5 minutes ago, Andrew F said:

I'm really gonna have to have a look through your threads Gibbo, when I get some time; seems we have similar interests......old electrics/cartic-4 etc.

The 84 started life as a Triang AL1 did it? It looks smart so far. I'd like to build an MTK 83 if I can find one. Bashing about an old Triang would be great but aren't the bogies more like a Class 82? 

I'm cutting into my Bachy 85 at the moment;  removing the grilles with a razor-saw........tricky work!

Hi Andrew,

All my early AC electrics are from the Trix body shell, I had a Trix one from about 1973 that my dad got second hand, unfortunately the motor burnt out and is now 81 015. The Trix body shells were produced by Dapol and sold off in the late 1990's, I bought six then and I have had four more recently from eBay. I used modified Hornby 86 bogies for the 81 ans 85, modified Hornby Hymek bogies for the class 82 and modified Lima class 33 bogies for the class 83 and 84.

I would guess the Triang body shell is as good a base as the Trix although I don't know if the Flushglaze for the Trix body shell fits the Triang moulding which I why I stuck with the Trix bodies.

The Cartic-4 is a laser cut kit that I am developing with printed bogies. I yet need to do the artwork for the brass etchings that will form the handrails and flooring grills.

Gibbo.

Thanks Rich, I'll take a look at the Wills sheet; I'd forgotten about Wills.

Gibbo. Ah yes, I can see now that it's Trix. It's hard to believe they are so old and still very nice. I had no luck sourcing a shell but I'm sure the Bach 85 will make a nice 81.

My 86's and 87's are Hornby and Lima respectively but use a Heljan chassis from the 26 and as such retain the short bogie frames (I never knew they were too short until I read about it on here) Maybe one day I'll fit Hymek bogies and lengthen them but I can't see that happening really.

2 hours ago, Andrew F said:

Thanks Rich, I'll take a look at the Wills sheet; I'd forgotten about Wills.

Gibbo. Ah yes, I can see now that it's Trix. It's hard to believe they are so old and still very nice. I had no luck sourcing a shell but I'm sure the Bach 85 will make a nice 81.

My 86's and 87's are Hornby and Lima respectively but use a Heljan chassis from the 26 and as such retain the short bogie frames (I never knew they were too short until I read about it on here) Maybe one day I'll fit Hymek bogies and lengthen them but I can't see that happening really.

Hi Andrew,

There is a Trix body on Ebay at the moment but the start bid is a tad bit steep.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233120592644?ul_noapp=true

Made me laugh anyway !

The cabs of the Trix moulding aren't long enough and the body is short because of it, as mine are all the same it doesn't really matter but I would think compared to the Bachmann one they would look quite wrong.

Gibbo.