Uncoupling magnets N gauge track

I'm using Dapol magnets 2A-000-006 for decoupling and they work no problems on my n-gauge layout. I was just wondering if anyone has found an alternative as the Dapol ones are expensive at £6 or so a pair.  I tried using neodymium but these wont work if in the track as they're too strong. I didi get hem to work if they are at the side of the track. I'm looking for an alternative that can be used inset into the track.  Any ideas?

thanks

Steve 

Thanks Harold.  These look a bit short - I have different locos using the same markers and have a bit more variation than these would give. I find I f I put 2 Dapol parts in line as it were it covers all the tolerances I need. I looked at magnets4U - I don't know if their ferrite magnets would work. Do you know if there anything special in the Dapol configuration of their magnet?

Hi

The problem is that just about all if not all the magnets available from the usual suppliers are magnetized along their length, and the Dapol magnets are magnetized across their width, so to successfully use something like a neodymium magnet you need to use two side by side with a gap between them, this not only makes for an obviously unattractive installation because you have to remove all the sleepers on both sides for the magnets to sit under each rail but also because they are so strong they will either tip up metal wheeled wagons or even pull the tiny spring out of the coupling.

The best way to use these magnets is to mount the in a recess in the baseboard so that they go under the sleepers, that way they work well and don't have that much effect on metal wheeled wagons.

I ended up just sticking with the Dapol magnets, costly but they do work.

Edited by Paul80

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Paul80 said:

so to successfully use something like a neodymium magnet you need to use two side by side with a gap between them, this not only makes for an obviously unattractive installation because you have to remove all the sleepers on both sides for the magnets to sit under each rail but also because they are so strong they will either tip up metal wheeled wagons or even pull the tiny spring out of the coupling.

I have successfully used small neodymium magnets that fit between the sleepers. I found that you could stagger the ends of these to get a very successful uncoupling area. Possibly because these were smaller magnets I never had any problems with springs being pulled out or wagons tipping up. 

I found these - a link to first4mangnets - these ones look like they'll fit in between the sleepers. I'll give them a go . They also stock the round ones as well. Interesting also is the self adhesive magnet steel tape. To make it easy to place and re-set the positions as it should fit under the track.  Anyone used these parts?

https://www.first4magnets.com/rectangular-c35/5-x-2-5-x-1-5mm-thick-45h-neodymium-magnet-0-4kg-pull-p3553#ps_1-2220

• RMweb Premium
  • RMweb Gold

Hello,

I've used small neodym magnets with 2mm in diameter and 2mm in lenght in curves, and with a bit of trying they work very reliable. With the Dapol Magnets on a friends layout we had the problem that the magnet pulled on the coupling pins and some very light wagongs (Peco Conflats and Lowflat Kits) where pulled down, and one axle of the wagon was pushed in the air. We also had the problem that a train that was passing over a Dapol magnet was uncoupled during its run along the track to the terminus station. I made a film about my trials with small neodym magnets.

Markus

• Like 1