Swinton and Knottingley Joint RailwaY early 1960s

dube

Looking for info on early diesel types for a layout based north of knottingley around ferrybridge power station already done some research but can’t find much info on diesels seen here in the early 1960s

• 2 weeks later...

This might be because they were not seen until the mid 60s. I have had a look through my books on local railways. One notes that in February,1965 driver training and clearance testing began for class 4 diesels from Healy Mills to Castleford. My school playground (1960-3) over looked the Castleford line and I do not recall any diesel working. The only regular diesels were the dmu introduced in 1958. Small diesel shunters took over trip workings from Normanton to Castleford and Pontefract somewhere around 1963/4.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 12/02/2019 at 16:43, doilum said:

This might be because they were not seen until the mid 60s. I have had a look through my books on local railways. One notes that in February,1965 driver training and clearance testing began for class 4 diesels from Healy Mills to Castleford. My school playground (1960-3) over looked the Castleford line and I do not recall any diesel working. The only regular diesels were the dmu introduced in 1958. Small diesel shunters took over trip workings from Normanton to Castleford and Pontefract somewhere around 1963/4.

My school playground looked up to Ferrybridge Station

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you went a little further north you could have 27s as these were often on Tees -Normanton jobs

But a list would probably be 

03,04, 05? 20,24,25,30, 37,40,44?,45,46,47,48,55 on diversion there have also been those photos in later 60s of 14s working from Hull 

You could also have other locos such as 15s and 23s on test from donny works or 28s with diverted condor . Not sure who worked those but if Holbeck men knew them they may have  had odd turns round that there anyway 

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 01/02/2019 at 20:33, dube said:

Looking for info on early diesel types for a layout based north of knottingley around ferrybridge power station already done some research but can’t find much info on diesels seen here in the early 1960s

After a quick look through Google Images (using the thread title as the search term) I was only able to find the following (I don't know what you've found, but in case you didn't see these):

https://spellerweb.net/rhindex/UKRH/Midland/Swinton.html

Wath Road Junstion 45040 Southbound freight

I'm just off to the pub, so I can watch the football. I'll have a look later/tomorrow (I only used Google Images, so I could immediately find diesels hopefully in the early 1960s). I know, the Flickr photo is from 1980, but like I say, its all I could find too. Perhaps the description will give some more precise search term ideas, for example: 'Wath Road Junction 1961'.

I would have thought, though, on a secondary line like this they'd still be using steam locomotives in the early 1960s. I know Rose Grove is a different area, but that was open until the very end of steam in 1968. Anyway, as I say, I'll have look at least tomorrow if not before on the 'web' search tab - I'm interested in West Yorkshire, so its not a problem.