Bachmann 2020+

Butler Henderson

• RMweb Gold

And being announced does not seem to advance the production or even design of a model; the online catalogue is still showing prototype photographs of 94xx 'announced' 4 years ago which has clearly not achieved CAD status yet.  At one time this model was scheduled for Q3 2018...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

And being announced does not seem to advance the production or even design of a model; the online catalogue is still showing prototype photographs of 94xx 'announced' 4 years ago which has clearly not achieved CAD status yet.  At one time this model was scheduled for Q3 2018...

Don't get too stressed John. It'll come when it comes. If it's a good 'un, you will most probably buy one anyway. I've got a LimBach model, and If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll dig out my Wills kit,  stowed away for about 20 years or so. Secondhand pannier prices remain healthy, so it's a real bu**er to release a £150 model in a £90 market. Do the maths.....

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm sort of honour bound to buy one whatever the price is after the fuss I've made, Ian, and one is on order with Lord and Butler.  The Limbach has at least allowed me to be a bit more philosophical about things, runs beautifully on it's 57xx chassis, and looks not unlike a 94xx.  It's propensity to slip a little then pick 'em up as it gets under away out of the loop with a loaded coal train delights me!  

When it gets replaced, the number plates will be transferred to the new model and the 57xx chassis may well find work beneath another body if I can source one reasonably cheaply; the original body that donated the chassis has been cannibalised for bits to to much of an extent to be re-used.  Buffers, chimney, safety valve cover, and fire iron brackets have all found new homes.

Edited by The Johnster

On 02/02/2019 at 02:50, YesTor said:

Those wagons 37-560 & 37-561 are now showing as TBA so added to the original list which bumps it up to 250 models

There is also 31-215SF LMS 5XP 'Patriot' 5551 'The Unknown Warrior' LMS Lined Crimson showing as "On Order" despite the non sound fitted 31-215 being TBA so that's now potentially 251 models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cambo74 said:

Can we not just lock this thread - i don't see how it has any purpose .... its nothing we can influence ...... just move on.............

Lets discuss something interesting ..... anything really ......

just ignore it if you're not interested. Plenty of threads on the forum that I don't look at, they are easily ignored. I still don't understand the idea of wanting threads closed because one person isn't interested in the subject....

Better keeping threads open as it generally stops people starting new ones and going over stuff that has already been discussed. If there is nothing left to discuss then they die naturally.

Jason

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, cambo74 said:

Can we not just lock this thread - i don't see how it has any purpose .... its nothing we can influence ...... just move on.............

Lets discuss something interesting ..... anything really ......

There is indeed a level of interest amongst the forum about how Bachmann releases its products over the coming year. Like it or not, the fortunes of Bachmann will continue to generate interest and debate.  Bachmann influences the market to a degree, and the feedback from the forum will provide a snapshot of how 'we' perceive Bachmann to interact with its clients & customers, intended or otherwise.   Your post, and others like it, will be avidly read by others, so I wouldn't dismiss your post lightly.

And, more importantly, you can influence things. "The pen is mightier than the sword".

Happy modelling,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

And, more importantly, you can influence things. "The pen is mightier than the sword".

Yes you can, but don't underestimate how long it takes that influence to take effect. You might successfully exercise a negative influence in persuading Bachmann to cancel some or all of the models that won't arrive until 2020 or later, and write off anything they've already spent on developing them. But you can't get them to bring arrival dates forward, because for that to happen they'd need to be further along right now than they actually are.

This week I read an interview with Simon Kohler of Hornby, who said that when he returned to that company as part of the new management team, there wasn't much he could do about the 2018 model release programme in terms of adding new items, all he was able to do was to delay some of the models already under development so that they appeared in 2019 along with complementary items. I imagine one of the projects he had in mind was releasing a new GW Large Prairie and the non-corridor coaches for it to pull, all in the same year. Now lots of people posting here had always said that matching locos and the stock for them to pull was what ought to have been happening all along. Nothing happened until someone who already agreed with that got into a position where he had enough power to make it so.

• Funny 1

On 02/02/2019 at 23:15, Butler Henderson said:

It took hardly any time for your information, I did it during the commercials in a TV program- a copy of the list, dumped into excel, sorted by end column and all rows not containing TBA deleted, all columns other than the ref no and description deleted, sorted by ref number and pasted via word into the posting. Thank you for the most insulting comment I have ever received  here, I thought it would be a useful thread to avoid the endless speculation that no doubt will arise in the coming months of what Bachmann  will be announcing in 2020 when in fact a thread on what they might release in 2023 would probably be more a realistic one.

As a very recent returnee to the railway modelling fold, I found your post and following discussion (well most of it), a fascinating insight into the current state of part of the market. So thank you

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Andy W said:

Yes you can, but don't underestimate how long it takes that influence to take effect. You might successfully exercise a negative influence in persuading Bachmann to cancel some or all of the models that won't arrive until 2020 or later, and write off anything they've already spent on developing them. But you can't get them to bring arrival dates forward, because for that to happen they'd need to be further along right now than they actually are.

This week I read an interview with Simon Kohler of Hornby, who said that when he returned to that company as part of the new management team, there wasn't much he could do about the 2018 model release programme in terms of adding new items, all he was able to do was to delay some of the models already under development so that they appeared in 2019 along with complementary items. I imagine one of the projects he had in mind was releasing a new GW Large Prairie and the non-corridor coaches for it to pull, all in the same year. Now lots of people posting here had always said that matching locos and the stock for them to pull was what ought to have been happening all along. Nothing happened until someone who already agreed with that got into a position where he had enough power to make it so.

The new large prairie and GWR non-gangwayed stock arriving in the same year was planned a long time before SK went back to Hornby and was most likely targetted on 2019 release year in any case because it would have been a rush to get the work done for 2018.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

There is indeed a level of interest amongst the forum about how Bachmann releases its products over the coming year. Like it or not, the fortunes of Bachmann will continue to generate interest and debate.  Bachmann influences the market to a degree, and the feedback from the forum will provide a snapshot of how 'we' perceive Bachmann to interact with its clients & customers, intended or otherwise.   Your post, and others like it, will be avidly read by others, so I wouldn't dismiss your post lightly.

Happy modelling,

Ian.

Yes,  Even 'Pen and Sword Publications' appear to be ramping up their interest in railway titles.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andy W said:

It's about time I climbed back on my perch. These desirables will arrive as & when.

Ian.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As a Southern (Region) fan, Bachmann have reverted to type for 2019 and they'll be getting no more than a whiff of my model-buying budget this year.

I'm hoping the Bulleid coaches and the MR/S&D/BR 0-4-4T might just sneak into 2020, in which case, they'll earn a better share. In the meantime, there's a Class 47 that I might want when it becomes clear what condition it will represent. My only definite purchases will be another two or three of their very nice "distressed" mineral wagons.

That's the lot, as I decided the breakdown crane, though a magnificent thing, will be too intricate for regular use, and  too expensive to sit idle in its box for 350 days a year.

I really do hope Bachmann get their act together, to provide a counterweight to the dominant player, but their past practice of leaving nearly all the prototypes that would interest me to others seems little diminished. They let the Lord Nelson go by default having left their old one alone for too long, and I have to wonder how soon somebody else will jump on the N.

It pains me to say so but, not only does the recovery of you-know-who inevitably hold far greater importance for me, but what the various "new boys" have in mind stimulates more interest, too. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just received a news letter stating that the Bachmann 102T TEA Tankers (Shell & BRT) will be in stock shortly.... These were only announced in January so are Bachmann going to surprise us this year by sudden delivery on recently announced models. It would certainly make things exciting with Hornby also releasing 2019 models regularly.  Appreciate this is only a re-livery and the price is crazed but impressed never the less.

• RMweb Premium
On ‎16‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:09, Winter123 said:

Just received a news letter stating that the Bachmann 102T TEA Tankers (Shell & BRT) will be in stock shortly.... These were only announced in January so are Bachmann going to surprise us this year by sudden delivery on recently announced models. 

That would be good news. The timing of newly tooled models is always going to be uncertain because so many elements of the development process can result in delays, so the best way to keep customers interested is to ensure a regular flow of new releases using existing tooling, in the catalogue year they are announced. This also has the benefit that the prices of these models are not perceived to be constantly increasing - by appearing on retailers shelves in the year they are announced, there is no (visible) annual price increase.

EDIT: For AY Mod, this was posted from a PC - still can't read this page on my iPad.

Edited by brushman47544
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

My view, which is only that and should not be interpreted as anything more and certainly not considered as authoritative, is that Bachmann have become aware that they have a very bad reputation in the matter of delivering announced models to the market and are losing credibility; they have become a standing joke.  My own infamous bete noir, the 94xx pannier which approaches at the speed of continental drift, still appears as prototype photos on the website catalogue, and there is no actual evidence that any work has been done on it since it's announcement, though the company make occasional re-assuring noises.  I am 'ambivalently re-assured' given the number of times it's been put back.  If it runs as slowly as it arrives, I'll be happy with the performance but not the wait!

If a change of policy, perhaps in reaction to Hornby's recent resurgent efforts and imminent release of some items only announced very recently (this year, and it's still only February), in regard to not announcing models until they are in a fairly advanced stated of readiness for the market is really happening at Bachmann I think this is A Good Thing and a move in the right direction.

• Agree 2

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:30, Dunsignalling said:

As a Southern (Region) fan...

I really do hope Bachmann get their act together, to provide a counterweight to the dominant player, but their past practice of leaving nearly all the prototypes that would interest me to others seems little diminished...

It pains me to say so but, not only does the recovery of you-know-who inevitably hold far greater importance for me, but what the various "new boys" have in mind stimulates more interest, too...

I could almost substitute GNR/LNER/BR(ER) in the above. The 'almost' because they did have a good solid spell of making the right stuff, but have now somewhat gone off the boil. No Thompsons in maroon and what would be a mightily welcome V2 renewal languishing. (I can see that getting 'picked off' in the same style as the LN; a handsome class of nearly 200 heavy mixed traffic locos without a model.)

I will freely admit that the 'lumpiness' of the two larger manufacturer's release programmes does puzzle me a little. Surely the best results are likely to occur if you have new product releases for all the significant interest groups, year on year? That's a counsel of perfection, but over a three year span it ought to be achievable? (Hornby have done a good job in their 2019 programme in my opinion, major new product releases for almost all interests except the dry side; but that's following a pretty major splurge of Eastern items over the past ten years, so I can catch my breath...)

• Like 2

Two TEA tankers have been released recently from previous announcements 38-111B  'BP' (2017) and 38-220B BP Crude Oil (announced?)  so it probably is a case of the Kader factory making what else had been ordered before packing the tools away - the same thing happened with Hornby a few years ago with models turning up  early as the factory had the tooling set up for the first quarter release, and promptly made the later quarter releases as well

• Informative/Useful 1