Alton Show

PenrithBeacon

Several hours ago I sent an e-mail to the club asking if the exhibition was still on and if a specific layout (which I especially want to see) was able to attend. I have had no reply.

Prior to that I had repeatedly checked for info on the club web-site.

http://www.altonmrg.co.uk/

However, on this I now see that there has appeared a statement that -

"Despite the snow, the February Exhibition 2019 will still open as planned on Saturday morning.

Although some advertised traders and layouts are now unable to attend, various traders and layouts are already set-up, with more ready to set up on Saturday morning.

Don’t forget that the exhibition is open on both Saturday and Sunday, so if there are difficult road conditions early on Saturday, why not come later or on Sunday instead?

Due to the conditions, the vintage bus service has been withdrawn on Saturday. It may run Sunday, dependant on road conditions."

I think it would have been helpful and polite had this statement indicated the extent to which booked layouts have been/will be able to attend. As ever an important consideration in these circumstances is not just the weather conditions at the venue - but also the ability of exhibitors to attend. Potential visitors will (of course) need to consider travel from their homes.

CP

Edited by cp409067
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold

Visited today - evidence of the heavy snowfall on Friday in the venue's car park and side roads but all accessible with care.

Coastal DCC were there as were most of the planned exhibits.

Those listed in the guide but didn't appear to have made it were:

Layouts: Buckleigh (00), Glynn Valley Tram (00-9), Portwenn (0-16.5) and Titherleigh (00)

Trade: Kytes Lights, Masterpiece Figures and Model Railway Bits 

The layout Herstmonceux (00) I believe had already withdrawn from the exhibition prior to the guide being printed but did feature on some early publicity.

However there were 11 layouts, 14 members of the trade and 7 societies/demonstrators for your £5.

I went to the Alton show today (Saturday) road conditions from the south OK, pavements within the school have been cleared, although the parking area is a bit tricky.

The exhibition was quite quiet as could be expected, some nice layouts and plenty of trade, well worth the effort of getting there

• RMweb Premium

I’m heading down there today to help out with the Mid Hants Railway Wagon Group sales stand. I understand from the guys who were there yesterday that it’s icy round and about but they had a good day. 

Look forward to seeing you there if you make it along. 

Ian

I went yesterday. The footpaths from the station were a bit slippery, and, as mentioned, the show was a little sparser than usual for understandable reasons (though I gather from the Squires Facebook page that some of the layouts and traders that were unable to attend yesterday are there today), but still a good show.

One thing that did surprise me though was that there appeared to be no public catering this year - the usual serving area was closed off (and appeared to be in use as a storeroom) and the area where the tables normally are had one layout in (and the floor marked out for two others that were unable to attend).

54 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I went yesterday. The footpaths from the station were a bit slippery, and, as mentioned, the show was a little sparser than usual for understandable reasons (though I gather from the Squires Facebook page that some of the layouts and traders that were unable to attend yesterday are there today), but still a good show.

One thing that did surprise me though was that there appeared to be no public catering this year - the usual serving area was closed off (and appeared to be in use as a storeroom) and the area where the tables normally are had one layout in (and the floor marked out for two others that were unable to attend).

Refreshments were in the new refrectory - head towards the gym and follow your nose. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1