RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

We should all be mindful of the vast amount of work that Andy has done to get RMWeb back up and running and we should all clearly understand that the site is very much a "work in progress" due to the nature of the software used to run something like this. In it's "out of the box" form, software of this nature will never do exactly what either the site administrators or the users want. It will take a great deal of time and effort to refine it to the point that the old RMWeb had reached. Given time, I am sure that Andy will refine and change things, but it will take time and not everything will be possible.

I have a suggestion: Could we have a "Wish List" for suggestions for features which would be just "post-only" with the ability for members to only  "Agree" or "Like" a suggestion and for just a Mod to reply so that any suggestions made do not descend into a raging argument?

John

Edited by AY Mod
Additional title info
  • Like 7

• Moderators

I've edited the title so you don't get swamped with grumbles.

Happy for suggestions to be made, some good ones may arise but I think it's wise to say up front that many things are not possible so wishing won't make it automatic. Please don't just repeat grumbles as John's trying a positive initiative.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

Can the search results page be 'pageable' rather than 'load more items and then scroll'?

I'd say it's doubtful but I will investigate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

It's mostly fine for me -- except the spindly light grey text. It's quite a struggle to read. I would prefer it darker/bolder.

For example this is what I'm seeing now:

rmweb_text1.png.a13712d1a38830f7faba9a842c222f76.png

And this is the same thing very much easier to read:

rmweb_text2.png.ce3a411dfbf3899993ea23e42efc6783.png

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

On a blog you have the option to add an image that shows up on the blog index page.  This currently has to be uploaded separately, would it be possible to select this from images which have been already uploaded to the post?

Not only will it be a bit quicker, it should save on storage space.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I've edited the title so you don't get swamped with grumbles.

Happy for suggestions to be made, some good ones may arise but I think it's wise to say up front that many things are not possible so wishing won't make it automatic. Please don't just repeat grumbles as John's trying a positive initiative.

When we quote a post, can the quote 'title' not only state the name of the person (which it does) but also the date / time of the post, instead of eg: '2 hours ago'. The xx hours ago is meaningless to someone who comes across the post days later, plus the posts don't have a time when it was posted (can this be added too please?).

So if I was to come to a page in a few days time and see a quote of AY MOD from '2 hours ago', I wouldn't be able to work out which post that might be. I used this frequently when I joined a thread late in the day and find that something interesting has been alluded to in a quote. In the old forum (I'm NOT grumbling about how great the old one was, I like this new design & functions), but in the old forum a quote referenced the date and time.

Small wish item, maybe when all the big stuff is sorted and you all take a well earned rest.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Damo666 said:

When we quote a post, can the quote 'title' not only state the name of the person (which it does) but also the date / time of the post, instead of eg: '2 hours ago'. The xx hours ago is meaningless to someone who comes across the post days later, plus the posts don't have a time when it was posted (can this be added too please?).

So if I was to come to a page in a few days time and see a quote of AY MOD from '2 hours ago', I wouldn't be able to work out which post that might be. I used this frequently when I joined a thread late in the day and find that something interesting has been alluded to in a quote. In the old forum (I'm NOT grumbling about how great the old one was, I like this new design & functions), but in the old forum a quote referenced the date and time.

Small wish item, maybe when all the big stuff is sorted and you all take a well earned rest.

Come back and look  at it tomorrow, the time measurement is relative and fluid. This topic is for requests rather than queries/grumbles.

Just now, Andy Y said:

Come back and look  at it tomorrow, the time measurement is relative and fluid. This topic is for requests rather than queries/grumbles.

Hi Andy, Thanks for the quick reply, considering all the stuff you've been busy doing. Appreciated.

OK, will come back later, I'm still learning here.

BTW, I certainly wasn't grumbling, it was a request / wish. Apologies if my post wasn't clear.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I assume post numbering will be back at some time.

Hi Phil,

Possibly not - Andy has commented on the other thread that post numbers were fairly unmeaningful as they could change (if content is hidden or removed) and hence then point to a different post.  If you want to link to a post, Andy advised to use the share icon in the top right hand corner of each post

1067351901_Screenshot2019-02-02at14_51_05.png.23ba07b86a76bb1cf688ccb277b566e8.png

As well as allowing the post to be shared on social media, it will give you a direct link to that specific post.

Rich

• Thanks 1

I understand its a work in progress, and this is probably in the wrong thread, but must admit its getting tedious having to reset passwords every time I try to log in.

Gary 

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Gary J said:

its getting tedious having to reset passwords every time I try to log in.

Try clearing your browser cookies. (this is different for each browser, if you don't know how to do it let me know what you use and I'll tell you how to do it :))

Gary

• RMweb Gold

Not so much features, as a few "nice to haves";

1) Some new themes, perhaps at least one darker one.

2) Change the default font not to have any whitespace after each paragraph.

• Like 1

as the line-spacing seems much different than the previous version, any chance that it can be compressed. (iirc someone else mentioned about holding down shift key when entering/newline). Maybe automatically compress the signatures, that would save about half the real estate, or more, in many posts. (fat adders almost OK, Blue Lightening way off . Could not forum restrict to say, six lines of text (inc blank lines). It would encourage folk to be more frugal...-

(I've found there is a separate thread wrt sigs.

Edited by raymw
linked to thread

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, 57xx said:

2) Change the default font not to have any whitespace after each paragraph.

I've change a Return Key behaviour setting - I don't think it'll work retrospectively but we'll see how it fares now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2