RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

• RMweb Premium

A couple of suggestions from me.

First the 'all activity' is cluttered with reactions and follows, I'd prefer just a list of posts and blog entries in chronological order.

Secondly, my default activity stream 'content I posted in' is located differently from all the other activity stuff. I can understand why as it's accessible from both Browse and Activity. Would it be possible to nominate a couple of activity streams, I tend to swap from content I posted in, to content I started in a bid to keep up to date with my own contributions.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, Neil said:

A couple of suggestions from me.

First the 'all activity' is cluttered with reactions and follows, I'd prefer just a list of posts and blog entries in chronological order.

Secondly, my default activity stream 'content I posted in' is located differently from all the other activity stuff. I can understand why as it's accessible from both Browse and Activity. Would it be possible to nominate a couple of activity streams, I tend to swap from content I posted in, to content I started in a bid to keep up to date with my own contributions.

Have you seen this?

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Thanks, but what I had in mind was the here and now viewers, as we had before, not the past viewers.

Thanks anyway.

Yep, I miss that too, it was interesting to see who else was viewing a particular topic at the same time, the highest numbers usually when some announcement was being made! 

Cheers, 

Keith 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, tractionman said:

Yep, I miss that too, it was interesting to see who else was viewing a particular topic at the same time, the highest numbers usually when some announcement was being made! 

Cheers, 

Keith 

I posted this for Andy

• RMweb Premium

Please, can the forum operators restore the control of comments on blogs?

We used to be able to control the posting of comments on our blogs. In particular, there was a setting whereby members could post comments, but the blog owner approved the comments before they appeared. This helped the blog owner to make sure that comments were focussed and on-topic, and they could then add a suitable reply.

As it stands, members can post technically correct but off-topic posts that leave the blog owner having to choose between starting a public but rambling correspondence, sending a PM to the member to ask them to change their comment, or ignoring the comment altogether - none of which are very appealing.

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 47137 said:

Please, can the forum operators restore the control of comments on blogs?

We used to be able to control the posting of comments on our blogs. In particular, there was a setting whereby members could post comments, but the blog owner approved the comments before they appeared. This helped the blog owner to make sure that comments were focussed and on-topic, and they could then add a suitable reply.

As it stands, members can post technically correct but off-topic posts that leave the blog owner having to choose between starting a public but rambling correspondence, sending a PM to the member to ask them to change their comment, or ignoring the comment altogether - none of which are very appealing.

- Richard.

I think that was always touted as the advantage of blog over thread - editorial control. Hopefully it will reappear in due course. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 10/02/2019 at 09:55, Oldddudders said:

I think that was always touted as the advantage of blog over thread - editorial control. Hopefully it will reappear in due course. 

Well I hope so too. Right now, the latest comment on my blog is,
 "I still have one to install on the layout - maybe in time for Freemo South".

The post has been hijacked by people who feel a need to write "something", even if it is off-topic and of no consequence to me or to my blog or to anyone else reading it, and the only way I can remove comments is to either use the 'report' button, which is hopelessly over the top, or I suppose hide the entire blog post and write it again. Or tackle a PM which carries a finite probability of putting someone's back up and indeed of achieving nothing. 

It is good to see blogs more accessible than before, but if contributors cannot be focussed then work will be ruined by rambling comments. I do hope, the forum administrators can sort out the permissions for blog comments.

- Richard.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Well I hope so too. Right now, the latest comment on my blog is,
 "I still have one to install on the layout - maybe in time for Freemo South".

The post has been hijacked by people who feel a need to write "something", even if it is off-topic and of no consequence to me or to my blog or to anyone else reading it, and the only way I can remove comments is to either use the 'report' button, which is hopelessly over the top, or I suppose hide the entire blog post and write it again. Or tackle a PM which carries a finite probability of putting someone's back up and indeed of achieving nothing. 

It is good to see blogs more accessible than before, but if contributors cannot be focussed then work will be ruined by rambling comments. I do hope, the forum administrators can sort out the permissions for blog comments.

- Richard.

I have looked at the settings for this now.

Can moderate own blog entries? On 
The user will be able to: edit comments and entries, delete comments and entries, and lock entries from further comments.

I am not sure whether it means any comments will require approval or whether you will just be able to retrospectively manage comments.

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I have looked at the settings for this now.

Can moderate own blog entries? On 
The user will be able to: edit comments and entries, delete comments and entries, and lock entries from further comments.

I am not sure whether it means any comments will require approval or whether you will just be able to retrospectively manage comments.

Thanks for this Andy.

It looks like blog owners have some new tools. I can now delete, recommend or indeed edit other people's comments. Also I can lock a post to prevent comments, but editing of the post is still allowed.

Clearly any editing of other people's comments needs to be done with care, but this does look good. I'll have to wait for someone to post another comment to find out whether the new features are only retrospective (you could try!)

- Richard.

Edited by 47137

Google has helpfully notified me that they're disabling my Google+ account (which I didn't know I had) from some date this month, as the service is being run down and all personal accounts are being deleted. With this in mind, is it perhaps worth getting rid of the Google+ sharing option at the bottom of the screen?

Also, it would be useful if the bar that marks the beginning of unread posts could be increased from its' current thickness, at least on the big-screen version of the site. It's very easy to miss when scrolling at the moment!

• RMweb Premium

A minor niggle, but one that's persistently annoying. The three tabs at the top of the page have both a click and hover response. I find myself 'clicking' on the Activity tab as I expect that response more but that takes me to a different page rather than showing the items beneath it, and those items in the tab have to be clicked to get their drop down menus to appear, rather than hovered over.

Can the tab behaviour be changed so that they have to be clicked on to change to that tab rather than use hover?

Edited by Ian J.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/02/2019 at 10:46, Vistisen said:

Another thing I would like at the bottom of a page on both the full and mobile version is a 'go to top of page' button. I have to do a lot of scrolling up to get back to the top all the time

Sorry if I'm missing the point of this question, but if you are using a keyboard, the "home" and "end" keys take you to the top or bottom of any page

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I hope I haven't missed somebody else asking this one ……

The activity streams only seem to look back for a maximum of 365 days.  For "Content I Started", in particular, I can imagine I might want to find threads that have been dormant for longer than that, especially to be reminded of the answers to questions I asked for some reason (and would be embarrassed to ask again) ……...

I tried going through my profile area, which enabled me to find every attachment I've ever made, but nothing similar for threads.

Am I missing something?

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Chimer said:

The activity streams only seem to look back for a maximum of 365 days.  For "Content I Started", in particular, I can imagine I might want to find threads that have been dormant for longer than that, especially to be reminded of the answers to questions I asked for some reason (and would be embarrassed to ask again) ……...

I tried going through my profile area, which enabled me to find every attachment I've ever made, but nothing similar for threads.

Am I missing something?

Profile > See My Activity > Posts for everything you've posted.

Profile > See My Activity > Topics for threads you've started.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, DLT said:

Sorry if I'm missing the point of this question, but if you are using a keyboard, the "home" and "end" keys take you to the top or bottom of any page

Wow you are correct! on a PC it works fine. I must spend too much of my time working with command line prompts in the database world of PL/SQL. but on on a mobile? 

• RMweb Premium
On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 13:25, Chimer said:

Am I missing something?

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:14, St Enodoc said:

Profile > See My Activity > Posts for everything you've posted.

Profile > See My Activity > Topics for threads you've started.

Ask and you shall receive ….. thank you very much St E, it still took me a while to spot the "See My Activity" button ….. and must remember topic means thread, too

• Friendly/supportive 1

I'm not sure if a wishlist can include proposals to delete a feature...

I propose the Leaderboard should be quietly deleted when Andy finally has some spare time. I can see no merit in a popularity contest for forum members.

The ability to see how many views a post - or blog entry - had received had some merit, since it was possible to see within a blog what attracted readers and what didn't - and more generally what content was being closely read, and what wasn't. The bitterly-contested thread where each post only attracted a modest number of views was thereby flagged as a private fight... 

But if we are to lose view-count - and there is a serious argument that monitoring views and likes on social media is pernicious to mental health - then I can see no justification whatsoever for the existence of the Leaderboard

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Would it be possible to change the wording that says “Today” after you scroll down past posts posted in the last hour to “Earlier today”? Every time I see it confuses me and I wonder when what I have been reading was posted...

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I'm not sure if a wishlist can include proposals to delete a feature...

I propose the Leaderboard should be quietly deleted when Andy finally has some spare time. I can see no merit in a popularity contest for forum members.

The ability to see how many views a post - or blog entry - had received had some merit, since it was possible to see within a blog what attracted readers and what didn't - and more generally what content was being closely read, and what wasn't. The bitterly-contested thread where each post only attracted a modest number of views was thereby flagged as a private fight... 

But if we are to lose view-count - and there is a serious argument that monitoring views and likes on social media is pernicious to mental health - then I can see no justification whatsoever for the existence of the Leaderboard

I'd like to support this. Alternatively make the side boxes optional so people can remove them if they like. 

On the subject of view counts, I think these are notoriously unreliable. For example, at the moment the view count for individual blog posts seems to be growing much faster than the aggregated view count for each blog. Possibly different things are being counted as "views" depending on settings.

• Agree 4