RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Ravenser said:

I propose the Leaderboard should be quietly deleted when Andy finally has some spare time. I can see no merit in a popularity contest for forum members.

It was simply a feature we looked at during testing yesterday. It's not intended as any popularity contest - just a way of drawing attention (for newer users) who some of the most active members with content are.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder if it would be possible to automatically prevent photos from appearing in quoted posts, as the often multiple copies of the same pics seems at best unnecessary, at worst, dare I say, irritating, and must take up enormous amounts of space too.

Edited by Nickey Line
Added 'automatically'
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Could I put a small request in please? Could you remove 'mark site read' at the top right of the screen and somehow replace it with another (changeable) default listy thing (I have content that I follow up there, but it would be handy to have something like 'unread content' there too, so I don't have to go through the menus.

I have no idea if its possible mind...

Andy G

• Moderators
11 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

I wonder if it would be possible to automatically prevent photos from appearing in quoted posts, as the often multiple copies of the same pics seems at best unnecessary, at worst, dare I say, irritating, and must take up enormous amounts of space too.

It doesn't actually take up server space, just screen space. A developer is looking at a tweak for this for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here's another tweak I'd find useful:

In the My Activity Steams' drop down list, would it be possible to put the Custom Streams at the top, rather than the bottom? That way, the streams I create (which notionally are likely to be the ones I'm most interested in) would be quicker and more convenient to get to and click.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2019 at 20:57, Nickey Line said:

I agree they can take up an enormous amount of space, but you can always delete them in  the quote.

However, when I WANT them to appear, they don't.  It always seemed a bit random.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DLT said:

I agree they can take up an enormous amount of space, but you can always delete them in  the quote.

However, when I WANT them to appear, they don't.  It always seemed a bit random.

I'm aware of the ability to edit quotes, and I do, but most people don't.

I frequently have to scroll through masses of identical pictures and text to get to the nitty-gritty! :negative: ;)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure if this has been covered elsewhere but:

I find the way that activity is listed is a PITA. The list format being all one long one that goes down the page, with 'view more content' buttons appearing every now and again is tiresome, for the reason that you can't remember where you got to, so you end up trawling through for ever more.

The old forum had page numbers, so you would have more of a grasp of where you where in the list. Is there a way of modnifiying it so that it appears in a way more like the page format please?

Andy G

• RMweb Premium

Is there a way of dragging an activity stream so that it appears on browse tab, to save having to click on the all activity tab and scrolling down to the one you want please?

• RMweb Premium
On 07/02/2019 at 08:23, Mikkel said:

There's  small feed from the blogs on the right hand side of the main forum page. This updates when there is a new entry or comment, but also whenever a blog entry is edited. This is particularly obvious at the moment, where several users are adding header photos to past  blog entries. For example, at the time of writing all of my blog edits this morning have - to my embarassement - crowded out everyone else from the feed.

Would be great if the settings could be changed - when there is time - so that blogs only show up when there is a new entry or comment, not edits. Fortunately it doesn't affect the main blog list page.

I see, the behaviour Mikkel describes is still here. It really is quite frustrating and indeed embarrassing to make a minor edit to an old blog entry and then see the post appear on the home page for the forums. So this is really request to remove an unwanted "feature" not to make a new one.

The home page for the whole RMWeb and the main blog list page each have a different list of recent blog entries, and they do not update in this way; they update when someone makes a new post. So, could the list on the bottom right of the main forum page match up with these?

- Richard.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

One thing I would find helpful would be a facility to 'go to last post' in much the same way as it's possible to 'go to last post read'. Sometimes I will have read all the posts in a particular topic but want to go to the latest post or posts, at the end of the thread. Currently I would have to click on the topic which would take me to the first post, then click on the last page and then scroll down as there's no short cut. I know it's the matter of seconds to do this but it always has an air of awkwardness about it, a contradictory vibe to what the internet promises.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Neil said:

One thing I would find helpful would be a facility to 'go to last post' in much the same way as it's possible to 'go to last post read'. Sometimes I will have read all the posts in a particular topic but want to go to the latest post or posts, at the end of the thread. Currently I would have to click on the topic which would take me to the first post, then click on the last page and then scroll down as there's no short cut. I know it's the matter of seconds to do this but it always has an air of awkwardness about it, a contradictory vibe to what the internet promises.

If you click on the number of posts next to the speech bubble for a thread, it takes you to the last post in the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A down arrow as well as the up arrow. When you are scrolling backwards through a long thread looking for something recent (but off the current page) it would help. Going backwards sequentially you want to turn to the previous page foot not the top.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, john new said:

A down arrow as well as the up arrow. When you are scrolling backwards through a long thread looking for something recent (but off the current page) it would help. Going backwards sequentially you want to turn to the previous page foot not the top.

Hi john,

Press the END key to jump to the bottom of any web page (or CTRL+END if you use caret browsing F7).

Press the HOME key to jump to the top of any web page (or CTRL+HOME if you use caret browsing F7).

Martin.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 24/03/2019 at 19:05, Neil said:

One thing I would find helpful would be a facility to 'go to last post' in much the same way as it's possible to 'go to last post read'.

I'd like a "go to first unread post" facility, like the old forum used to have.

(On a positive note, I see that the gallery is now working.  That seemed to sneak in without much fanfare.)

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, john new said:

Could the up arrow be repositioned so that it doesn't obscure the multi-quote tab. If someone has given the same reply that I intended and I no longer require the quote I can't delete it without clicking the up arrow first.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Hi john,

Press the END key to jump to the bottom of any web page (or CTRL+END if you use caret browsing F7).

Press the HOME key to jump to the top of any web page (or CTRL+HOME if you use caret browsing F7).

Martin.

There isn't one on Apple kit, or if there is I don't know it.

• Friendly/supportive 1