RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I'd like a "go to first unread post" facility, like the old forum used to have.

(On a positive note, I see that the gallery is now working.  That seemed to sneak in without much fanfare.)

First unread post is always click on the dot or star on the left before the topic title in any list of threads. Same as the old system.

Last post in a thread is always click on the speech bubble/number on the right.

First post in thread is always click on the title of the thread itself.

To get a copy of a link to a specific post, right click the share icon on the top right of a post, and (in Firefox) choose 'Copy Link Location'.

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As I've mentioned elsewhere before, is there any chance of getting the option to edit in BBcode back?

WYSIWYG works fine most of the time, but for complex posts involving multiple images and/or quotes, being able to drop into code does make it a lot easier.

• RMweb Gold

You can use BB-code if you

write it elsewhere, then copy and paste it.
smile.gif

[center]You can use [b]BB-code[/b] if you[/center]
write it elsewhere, then [color=blue]copy and paste[/color] it.
[img=http://85a.co.uk/forum/images/emoticons/smile.gif]

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

You can use BB-code if you

write it elsewhere, then copy and paste it.
smile.gif

[center]You can use [b]BB-code[/b] if you[/center]
write it elsewhere, then [color=blue]copy and paste[/color] it.
[img=http://85a.co.uk/forum/images/emoticons/smile.gif]

Martin.

That's handy to know, thanks!

• RMweb Gold

Could the navigation menu(s) be "sticky" (technical term) so that when we are scrolled down a long page (of which there are many on RMWeb!) the navigation controls are still to hand?

I realise that the grey "back to top" arrow shows the navigation controls again when they are scrolled off the top but it would just be bit neater and more direct if the navigation controls didn't disappear in the first place.

I imagine that while the scroll position was at the top of the page you'd see the full fat menus as currently but when scrolled down they would transition into a slimmer version to take up less screen space.

Edit: This would have the advantage for the site admins of keeping the RMWeb branding on screen at all times...

Edited by Harlequin

I too would like both a Scroll to bottom button and a Go to first unread post button/link within threads. I view RMWeb mainly on my phone and it (obviously) doesn’t have home and end keys. The scroll to top functionality is built into the browser (touch the title bar in Safari on IOS) anyway.

While I know that I can tap the circle/star next to the post, it’s pretty small on phone screen and I often forget as tapping on the thread title took me to the first unread post on the previous version of the forum. I then have to go back and click on the circle. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 13/04/2019 at 12:28, john new said:

There isn't one on Apple kit, or if there is I don't know it.

On 13/04/2019 at 12:46, martin_wynne said:

Use the Command key+ Down arrow key.

Or Command+Up arrow to go to top.

Martin.

If you're using a full keyboard, the up/down arrows with a horizontal bar at the pointer (or they may be labelled 'home' and 'end') do this:

On 02/02/2019 at 11:06, Miss Prism said:

I'm eagerly awaiting the return of the 'Ignore this topic' button.

On 02/02/2019 at 11:19, Andy Y said:

It's on ze list. It was another non-stock feature I had built in. 

We have an 'ignore topic' option now but, as was the case with the previous software, it only works within the subforum that it's within.

It would be wonderful if posts added to an ignored topic didn't cause higher levels of the forum to show unread posts.

It would be even more wonderful if posts added by ignored users also didn't show topics to be unread.

I realise that this is a big ask, but if I keep my wishlist short, I'm hoping that Father Christmas may look kindly on me!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

An idea, not for Andy, but for the forum software developers:

I have just been trying to find a specific thread here, and it took a while. While I can add it to followed topics, or to a bookmark of my own in the browser, I suddenly thought it would be a good idea if we could have thread collections - a place for topic links that we perhaps want to keep for reference. The collections could be user named, making it easier to group like threads together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Have you explored the public bookmark feature? 

I didn't know such a thing existed. Where do I find it?

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Ian J. said:

I didn't know such a thing existed. Where do I find it?

You should see a Bookmark link at the bottom of every post and you can choose to save items privately or publicly. When I'm back on the PC I'll look how it can be linked to etc.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

OK, I found the bookmark for a single post, and found My Bookmarks under Account. I created a couple of categories and added bookmarks to them. What I can't do is see list of categories that I can drill down into, and also I can't add a whole thread. So this isn't what I had in mind. But it has raised the idea of bookmarking a single post, which is useful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...