RMWeb New Site - feature wishlist

Message added by AY Mod

Please note this topic is for suggesting features; not about existing features which may not work as expected.

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, benachie said:

Yes, I realise the browser was doing it 

Please don't blame the software then. This topic is a 'wishlist' for features - not grumbles.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Please don't blame the software then. This topic is a 'wishlist' for features - not grumbles.

Well, it's the software that's changed so I'm just expressing a wish.

Alan

P.S. Got it sorted now - thanks, Andy.

Edited by benachie
added a PS

4 hours ago, JohnR said:

Not sure if this is possible using this forum software - but its used elsewhere. I'd like the ability when clicking on an unread topic, to go to the last post in that thread I had read, rather than the last page (or the first page). 

Thought I'd have a go at posting on the new software with a couple of images....

I was wondering how to navigate to the end of 1280 "Wright writes" pages, and you can either ..

a) click the blank grey button after the "Next" button ( 1,2,3,4,5,6 Next, Blank ) and it takes you to the last post. It should really have some text added to say "Last". Equivalent to the ">>" on the old format, I think.

snip3.PNG.e67510e8ec1fbf3c77a3726ee1d2ebf6.PNG

or...

b) click on the "5 min" as below on Unread Topics

snipped.PNG.af78770c1bd7833c8d57285df583a1f2.PNG

or...

c) click on " 3 minutes ago" under "Topics"

snip2.PNG.a13199e1fbaf51aeb8833ccd524d37eb.PNG

HTH if it hasn't already been posted. Hovering over places showed up "invisible" buttons when I first used the new format..

Pete

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, swampy said:

a) click the blank grey button after the "Next" button ( 1,2,3,4,5,6 Next, Blank ) and it takes you to the last post. It should really have some text added to say "Last". Equivalent to the ">>" on the old format, I think.

snip3.PNG.e67510e8ec1fbf3c77a3726ee1d2ebf6.PNG

I had been adjusting the grey button colour earlier and that seems to have had an impact on what you see. I see this:

1338630310_NextLast.JPG.527b3ee4b058b56493e40235691b1b34.JPG

Not sure why your arrows are hidden/invisible.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Click on the dot or star to the left of the Topic Title - that will take you to the first unread post.

Click on the time of the last post and it will take you to the last post of the final page.

(Previously explained several times in other topics).

Sorry if I missed it Andy. 

• Thanks 1

Would it be possible to split the Layouts section up into defined sections (by gauge/era or geographical location), at the moment there are a huge number of projects competing for space and with only 25 entries per page and a large volume of traffic you can miss good layouts as they are away down off page 1 in a matter of hours.

Just a thought

Jim

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Would it be possible to split the Layouts section up into defined sections (by gauge/era or geographical location), at the moment there are a huge number of projects competing for space and with only 25 entries per page and a large volume of traffic you can miss good layouts as they are away down off page 1 in a matter of hours.

A mammoth retrospective task - especially when so few topic title include a gauge. However there's a forthcoming feature which may help in some ways.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

There's an Unread content tab top right on the desktop version, or the left hand of the three icons on the mobile version that do the same thing. Alternatively under activity streams there are more options for your posts, Content I started or your threads, content I posted in.

"Unread" is not the same as "new". But it does seem possible to get close to the old "view new content" by making a suitable activity stream.

Regards

21 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

"Unread" is not the same as "new". But it does seem possible to get close to the old "view new content" by making a suitable activity stream.

Regards

I've done so myself. Its not quite right yet as I think I am seeing posts from subforums I had previously ignore. Interestingly each custom activity stream has a number, mine is 23 https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/23/ . You can see what other people have set up by changing the number in the URL. For example 24 was created by DavidB-AU https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/discover/24/ .

It strikes me that having lots of people creating what it basically the same stream indivdually will use up server resources unnecessarily, but also It would be simple to set up a button that links to a VNC stream for use by all.

Edited by Talltim

• RMweb Premium

Would it be possible to be able to set the Activity views to 'condensed' either as default, or as a user-made server setting rather than requiring a cookie at the client?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 04/02/2019 at 14:51, Grovenor said:

Regards

Quite so, I have done this by selecting all the bits I want under the various headings; Content Type, Read Status, Ownership etc.  You then get an option to Save these, and an option to Create New Stream.  I selected this, gave it a title, and then bookmarked the page on my browser.   Then when you come in via the bookmark, you go straight to it.   You then still have the option to be more selective, without disturbing your settings.

In effect, you can set it up however you want.

Cheers, Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I don't know what other people think, but could better use be made of 'Tags'. At the moment, tags are user defined, which means that you get multiple tags with the same meaning e.g. 1940s, 1940's, 40s etc. If the tags were defined by Mods/Admin, everyone would be using the same tags as there would only be one tag for 1940s, which would mean when searching all topics with a tag, all topics would be found.

I appreciate that this could take a considerable time to implement, but I know some of the other software I use allows you to set a column with a value of x, y and z, to all have a value of z. If this is possible, it would allow the current tags to be frozen asis, then over time, the tags can be assessed and combined to standard values.

I have to say, regardless of the technology of the new release we can't see, I think what we can see is a huge forward step, thanks very much for all your efforts,

Cheers

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Andy 53B said:

I don't know what other people think, but could better use be made of 'Tags'. At the moment, tags are user defined, which means that you get multiple tags with the same meaning e.g. 1940s, 1940's, 40s etc. If the tags were defined by Mods/Admin, everyone would be using the same tags as there would only be one tag for 1940s, which would mean when searching all topics with a tag, all topics would be found.

Mind-reader! I was giving this some consideration today as a way of categorising scale/gauge/era/geography and looking so far as forcing tags on layout topics for example.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Y said:

Mind-reader! I was giving this some consideration today as a way of categorising scale/gauge/era/geography and looking so far as forcing tags on layout topics for example.

I think it would be useful to have some way of picking a tag from a list so that everyone uses the same tag, rather than a tag with the same meaning but different spellings etc., bit worried about reading your mind though, would hate to think what's been going through it the last week but could have a real god guess

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure how possible this is, bear with me...

Did the old forum down-res photos during upload?

We have a 10MB upload limit which people are testing the limits of now.

A 1024 × 489 JPEG I'm looking at on my desktop is 105KB, it's not great quality, but a photo from my phone comes out as 4032 × 3024 and 3.1MB. The thing is, how often do we actually need to see images in native resolution? When looking at it full-size, it gets exposed for the crummy grainy photo it really is, it looked much nicer when it was downscaled (which is pretty much how phone cameras work - take a massive bad photo and show it on a small screen, it looks amazing).

Would we be able to save on server space and enable more photos to be uploaded in one post by down-res-ing photos upon upload? Even to 2000 pixels width or something would halve the size of the photo I mention above, and is still just about bigger than HD TV.

Does such an option exist? If not, please disregard this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Did the old forum down-res photos during upload?

I think the old forum down-sized after upload, and where the original could be arrived at by clicking the on-thread size and then, e.g. opening in a new tab and saving.

Many of the old forum pic originals were way too large for forum use, but occasionally a scanned drawing was extremely useful in its original size, so I hope we haven't got any new draconian general rules applying now.

That said, I really gasp at the memory space needed for RMweb pic originals.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There is no direct correlation between the size of a JPG image in pixels, and the file size in KB, even at the same compression level.

Everything depends on the amount of detail in the image. A photo of a blank grey wall could be 8000 x 6000 and still be only 5KB.

Here are two photos. Both are 1280 x 800 and both have the same minimum compression. The first has a large area of plain sky and is 448KB. The second is more than double at 1071KB:

aldon_1280x800.jpg

kyre2_1280x800.jpg

The file sizes could be significantly reduced by applying say 10% compression, which would be barely noticed on most screens (but would be when printed).

Here they are again with 10% compression -- the file sizes are now 167KB and 570KB:

aldon_1280x800x10.jpg

kyre2_1280x800x10.jpg

There is no easy answer to this. Digital cameras take great pictures nowadays but they are far too large for normal web use and connection speeds. Converting to something more usable is easy enough for the computer-savvy, but it's beyond many. The only option is to do it on the server.

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

12 hours ago, Andy Y said:

If I force the usage it seems to be global across all areas which would increase the number of tags to select from huge - I can't seem to limit to one forum area such as Layouts. I'll continue to look though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

There is no direct correlation between the size of a JPG image in pixels, and the file size in KB, even at the same compression level.

Everything depends on the amount of detail in the image. A photo of a blank grey wall could be 8000 x 6000 and still be only 5KB.

Martin.

Yes, I know. Sadly I did an entire module on compression at uni, it was just a throwaway example of 2 photos of differing sizes and file size.. My point was that lower resolution photos have smaller file sizes than the same photos at higher resolution.

Here's a better example:

The 4032 x 3024 3.1MB image I referenced, when reduced to 2000 x 1500, shrinks to 1.1MB, so that's about a third of the original file size with basically no effect on my use of the photo, because I rarely ever need a 4032 x 3024 image.

Because you can't say 'please only upload photos that are mainly blank wall to save server space' and it would be stupid to keep resolution the same but apply a ton of spatial compression upon upload, what is possible is down-res the images which will reduce their individual file size relevant to the starting file size, because having the ability to upload 4032 x 3024 images on a forum is largely pointless.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andy Y said:

If I force the usage it seems to be global across all areas which would increase the number of tags to select from huge - I can't seem to limit to one forum area such as Layouts. I'll continue to look though.

I thought there'd probably be tens of thousands of tags, if not more, which would mean trying to rationalise them in to any form a nightmare. I know you've said the new software contains lots of new features, is there any keywording vocabularies such as those in Lightroom as this would make keywording topics a lot simpler, especially is some typical  vocabularies already exist, and as it's hierarchical would allow topics to be generic or specific but make searching topics interesting!!

1 minute ago, Andy 53B said:

is there any keywording vocabularies such as those in Lightroom as this would make keywording topics a lot simpler,

Sadly not, there are already some suggested ones for people to choose from but they don't get used enough and as I say making it mandatory makes it so for all topics in all areas.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andy Y said:

Sadly not, there are already some suggested ones for people to choose from but they don't get used enough and as I say making it mandatory makes it so for all topics in all areas.

No worries, I'll leave you in peace to ponder,

Thanks

Andy

• Thanks 1

Are you able to delete custom activity streams you create?

Ive accidentally made a couple in testing that Id like to remove but am unable to figure out how.

I would also like some form of auto-downsizing of uploaded photos as well as the ability for activity streams to list items in pages, rather than a continuously scrolling page.