Cambrian Ground Signal

1 hour ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Don't think so but if it's any help McKenzie & Holland probably supplied them.

Depends which period, the Cambrian Railways were a significant user of Dutton's products in the 1890s (when a lot of their signalling was installed) and Tyers after that. What is clear is that the CamRys were very mean in their provision of ground signals, and that not long after the grouping almost all the extant ground signals were GWR designs.

23 minutes ago, bécasse said:

Depends which period, the Cambrian Railways were a significant user of Dutton's products in the 1890s (when a lot of their signalling was installed) and Tyers after that. What is clear is that the CamRys were very mean in their provision of ground signals, and that not long after the grouping almost all the extant ground signals were GWR designs.

Which brings us back to the question of exactly what the OP was referring to by 'CamRly ground signal'?

Edward Dorricott's book on ST Dutton suggests (p126) that Dutton provided rotating signals that were similar to old-style  'point indicators' and apparently often used as such; there is a photo of one taken in the former Winchcombe Rly Museum.

• RMweb Gold

In the Wild Swan Vol 1 by Green there is a photo of one in Aberystwyth. I think it is a non independant type. I assume the GWR would not replace one unless replacing it with a more modern type. Cannot look up the page ref as the books are still packed away.

Don

• RMweb Gold

In the Wild Swan Vol 1 by Green there is a photo of one in Aberystwyth. I think it is a non independant type. I assume the GWR would not replace one unless replacing it with a more modern type. Cannot look up the page ref as the books are still packed away.

Don

looked in my layout thread and found the following  'wire worked rotating lamp signal' at Aberystwyth in Green's coast lines vol 1 taken in 1906.   It may be an independant type.

Don

• Like 1

Thanks again. I'm currently looking for Vol1 of Cec Green's book which I know was in the railway room, however.........!

If it is the common photo it will be the rear of the signal though. The older point indicator type is the one we want. A large O Gauge layout is in need of about half a dozen in 7mm!

I'll resume my search!

Dave

4 hours ago, RailWest said:

Which brings us back to the question of exactly what the OP was referring to by 'CamRly ground signal'?

Edward Dorricott's book on ST Dutton suggests (p126) that Dutton provided rotating signals that were similar to old-style  'point indicators' and apparently often used as such; there is a photo of one taken in the former Winchcombe Rly Museum.

Indeed, the only photograph that I could find of a CamRys ground signal (as opposed to GWR ground signals obviously provided in some profusion immediately after grouping) was of a Dutton-style rotating signal (which are quite distinctive and notably different from anyone else's). I did find photos of lots of places where I might have expected to find a ground signal (such as exits from sidings to running lines) only to find the signal conspicuous by its absence.

17 hours ago, RailWest said:

It would really help in enquiries like this if the OP could post photos of what he has got available, to save wasted effort. I am not an expert on the Cambrian Railways, nor do I have a copy of the Dutton book referred to, but I have in front of me a book with at least five clear views of ground signals in the Cambrian area. I have no way of knowing if they bear any resemblance to the OP's one,  or the Dutton type, but would like to know before making the effort of copying them.

As mentioned previously, it is the front of the (Duttons type) rotating point ind icator that we were needing a photo of. In particular details of the  shape of the front plate and it's colour. Afraid my knowledge of computing is insufficient to let me post a copy of the photo I have - I've only recently mastered the fountain pen! Thanks for all your efforts

Dave

1 hour ago, Nick Holliday said:

I would say they were rectangular not square.  Like this one at Llanbedr

Indeed, you are correct. Having now read the accompanying text in the Dutton book, the author does state that the 'target' was 12.1/4" x 8.1/4", though to be fair to me :-) it did look square-ish in the photo that was taken at an angle.