BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

Transfers now applied to the 5 plank. Notice buffers only at one end, a couple more springs have disappeared into the hyper space of the carpet.

1492363924_transfers1.jpg.9c521e5323048c38db6325969ff82386.jpg                     

510568898_transfers2.jpg.ff96e1bc4299d94428f6c2f83f9d458d.jpg                          

I have also started to weather the Toad. I could not resist placing the guard in position even though he is not yet painted.

1691503996_guard1.jpg.712075dee28edd38eefe161711b9261f.jpg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi welcome to 0 gauge.  I am pretty sure we found some of the trackbed of the Forest Central Railway  somewhere around the New Fancy area.  I have the Ian Pope/Paul Karu books which help a lot.  I also got to know Ian Pope who models in 0 gauge himself. 

One thing I noticed was one of your wagons built but still needed buffers. I found using sprung buffers it was easier to fit them and the three link couplings to the end before assembling the body. I allso found that I often need to take a bite out of the back of solebars to allow the buffers to work.  Slaters do quite a few wagons for the area dependeding on the time frame some could still have lettering visible in early BR days.

I found not problems with cutting a Peco point to straddle a baseboard joint ( between the crossing area and the pivots of the blades ) but you do need to add a wire across the baseboard joint if using frog switching.

I used 1m cassettes on my Sprarrows Wharf layout.  One thing to watch if using portescap or ABC gearboxes , maybe other too, the locos are free rolling and you have to be carefull not to tilt the cassettes. 

Regards Don 

• Like 1

Thanks Don for your comments. The springs go flying into the black hole that is the carpet because my fingers don't work as well as they used to.. With Peco wagons you build the buffer before attaching it to the bufferbeam which should to me is the easier way of doing it.

• Like 1

I've been in contact with Tim Horn and my baseboards will be ready for collection on Friday Great News. I now have to seriously think of what to do with Louville Lane my cameo layout. Unfortunately I do not have room to have it and Blakeney up at the same time. So it may have to be stored in the garage or sold. I am open to offers  

• Friendly/supportive 2

35 minutes ago, westerner said:

I've been in contact with Tim Horn and my baseboards will be ready for collection on Friday Great News. I now have to seriously think of what to do with Louville Lane my cameo layout. Unfortunately I do not have room to have it and Blakeney up at the same time. So it may have to be stored in the garage or sold. I am open to offers  

Hi Alan, I can sympathise with you, I never have room to keep some really good Layouts and they have to Sold on both to make room and increase funds for the next project.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately things have come to a bit of pause at the moment, in tidying and emptying the garage to be able to store Louville Lane to make room for Blakeney I seem to have pulled a muscle in my upper right arm, so I think it wise to allow it time to recover before moving "The Lane" and changing the railway room round to erect the new baseboards which I did manage to collect last Friday.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pleased to say that my arm is somewhat better and with the help of a couple of friends Louville Lane was moved out of the railway room to be stored in the garage until such time as somebody wishes to buy it. The last few days have been  spent moving things around in the railway room so that Blakeney's boards can be erected. I've decided to use layout legs rather than the Screwfix type stands that the Lane was on. After or during their build I will be going through all the OO gauge stuff I've amassed over the last twenty years to see what needs throwing away and what I can hopefully sell. Hopefully by this time next week the new boards will be up and the room looking tidy again, for how long I don't know

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, westerner said:

I'm pleased to say that my arm is somewhat better and with the help of a couple of friends Louville Lane was moved out of the railway room to be stored in the garage until such time as somebody wishes to buy it. The last few days have been  spent moving things around in the railway room so that Blakeney's boards can be erected. I've decided to use layout legs rather than the Screwfix type stands that the Lane was on. After or during their build I will be going through all the OO gauge stuff I've amassed over the last twenty years to see what needs throwing away and what I can hopefully sell. Hopefully by this time next week the new boards will be up and the room looking tidy again, for how long I don't know

Did someone mention the Swindon Cross-Country DMU?

• Funny 1

Pleased to say that the new boards are now erected and the bookcases etc moved to their new positions. Still need to look at all the minor OO gauge stuff (Wills Brick plasticard etc and things like that) which I will probably never use again. if I get time I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them.

• Like 1

I couldn't resist putting some track down to see what it might look like, this also meant some stock as well. The board does look wide but that is deliberate. Due to an N and 00 gauge upbringing and therefore liking some placement of the track in a landscape setting (see Wencombe and Kingsbridge Regis) I'd always felt that O gauge almost precluded that approach,  But I thought a 2ft wide board with a simple track plan will enable me to attempt some landscaping.

The photos show the max train length.

639681803_view1.jpg.ff7b8f351e83819c3f28bf31bc43c80f.jpg

2068497061_view2.jpg.80940b292d6b74da0b9e0d12078ae1e0.jpg

1667670914_view3.jpg.98fb744cbd2d6c6d219495d4cfecf791.jpg  

• Like 18

• 3 weeks later...

At long last the period of track laying is starting. First was to glue the underlay down. I'm using the Woodland Scenics foam underlay and after consulting what would be the best glue I opted for Copydex. I'm glad I did as two stretches had to be taken up as when the track was laid on top there were a couple of kinks. It was easy to gently pull the foam and it peeled away with tearing. The old Copydex was then rubbed of both the foam and the cork covered baseboards, re-glued and laid back down in its new position.

The track in the photos has been just cut and joined and layed on the foam to make sure there are no kinks. On the baseboard you can see the mirror with which the alignment was checked (Norman Solomon style).

As you can see a very simple layout.

1896692592_foamdown1.jpg.eb6bbc4d02e3277776468503d8b6190c.jpg

1084232854_foamdown2.jpg.0e4a837172162b75caeda27d67cfe2b8.jpg

770311257_foamdown3.jpg.9e9a8e0cec964af0efba4eb63e6f22a7.jpg

• Like 12

Looking super, Alan.  My father grew up in the forest, one of seven children in a small cottage with no running water.  We used to walk the old railway lines around the area blackberrying when I was finished at school for the day.  I can recall sitting in the back of the morris minor, heading out through Gloucester and seeing the rusting tracks of the Castle Meadow branch before heading down the A38 to Lydney and then turn right for the Forest...I was always sad that I'd just missed the end of the railways in this part of the world, although the Parkend Branch was still open I never saw a train on it.

I've just used the Woodland Scenics track underlay for my little set up, it's good stuff.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1