BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

14 minutes ago, westerner said:

Having just looked at your thread, Salmon Pastures, I've enjoyed seeing the resurrection of some Desert rats.

That's no way to talk about one of Mr Robinson's finest.

It's quite frightening really as we left the deserts and camels very nearly 20 years ago!!!!

Another positive aspect of the Kung Flu,,, I'm finding all sorts of things I'd forgotten about.

SAD:(

17 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

Or laid out  in the middle of the road, soaking up the heat off the tarmac, just around that blind bend 

Must admit I never saw any right in the middle of the road, but at the very edge, definitely - and they didn't move, even for trucks! Never saw any dead at the side of the road though, unlike badgers. 

Worst spot I do recall that they liked to hang out was on the narrow road bridge over the old Mineral Branch at Whitecroft, just up from the level crossing, near the Pin Factory. 

Edit, talking about scraggies (sheeps!!) - hopefully obviously!! ;)

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1

It was the roads basically between Lydney and Bream that Im thinking off....

An ex (much missed) g/f was a forester and like to visit her fellow Forester mates in her vastly over powered vauxhall omega....Dodgin sheep seemed to be quite a feature!

Anyway back on topi, i like the forest, and being the son of a son of Gloucester* the whole place is of interest

*norton i believe afore they moved further out n south about the time of the S Africa War...

• Like 1

Colin. I use Mini Natur Silflor tufts. They do many types. the ones I had I think from building Wencombe, were a bright dark green. I dry brushed the surface with a very light grey and dull yellow which gave a much more late summer/early autumn effect.  Basically they are slightly more rigid strands of static grass on blobs of glue. I think you can make your own by putting blobs of PVA on cling film or foil (I'm not sure) doing the static grass bit over them ,shake of the residue and low and behold you should be left with tufts of grass.

• Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not done over much in the last week. Finished foliating the big sedum trees and also made a couple of coal loads for two of the minerals.

first was to build the structure to hold the coal.

2085203244_load1.jpg.93287a9b7cd345c62ba07b4912ddb01b.jpg

and then to paint the top surface black.

840643279_load2.jpg.dbec0d264b8cb763cadf7bfd904dc423.jpg

then added the coal, yes real coal.

640436310_load3.jpg.df23f6c765fdf2476e886d4b8a9742fa.jpg

Check that it still fits in the wagon

1352325216_load4.jpg.781b2968a47150226c3c763b8fc413d4.jpg

and then put into service

1884019053_load5.jpg.6cf5c4de0520449d3aaee559d6f639c9.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2020 at 22:35, F-UnitMad said:

Must admit I thought of a few scraggies, too, but as mentioned earlier, this being the Forest of Dean they would most commonly be seen wandering free, not being herded.

On 29/04/2020 at 21:50, LBRJ said:

Or laid out  in the middle of the road, soaking up the heat off the tarmac, just around that blind bend 

Or, having died of disease, being laid on the track in the hope of compensation from the railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Bishop of Welchester said:

Or, having died of disease, being laid on the track in the hope of compensation from the railway.

Certainly wasn't unknown, was it, back in the old days, although not sure about in the Forest? Yorkshire, on the other hand.... :rolleyes:;)

....and a tad difficult to model, even in 7mm scale. :scratchhead:

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Certainly wasn't unknown, was it, back in the old days, although not sure about in the Forest? Yorkshire, on the other hand.... :rolleyes:;)

....and a tad difficult to model, even in 7mm scale. :scratchhead:

Certainly was in the forest. My father was the railway's agent there. He had to deal with a lot of claims.

• Informative/Useful 3

Whist waiting for the foliage on the last group of trees to dry (photos later) I thought I'd start having a "go" at the suburban coach/ The obvious thing to do was to start weathering the underframe. I'm keeping the job of attaching the door hinges until last. Any way a couple of shots before and after. shows up better in real life than on the screen.

before:

131188176_coachuw2.jpg.bb0e5bbf4ab14fb85148608465416f26.jpg

after:

684618068_coachw1.jpg.5b4c6913a1e4d26bef486b432ee43c19.jpg

the observant will notice I obviously took the photos after I had done one side hence the coach having swung through 180 degrees,

• Like 19

Apart from ordering some books, "The Pannier Papers2-4" the ones that cover all the57xx I've been working on the coach, roof repainted muck as you know applied to the underframe and the hinges added, as some flew I no not where I've only done one side after all only one side will be seen. I thing I can ring Darstaed and get some replacement hinges for when I decide to do the other side IF??????????

Not the best photo I've ever taken perhaps a better one tomorrow when the number has been added.

50594589_weatheredcoach.jpg.50ce77540c04fd813aba9410799ca2ec.jpg

• Like 13

1 minute ago, westerner said:

Quite correct Phil,

It's now got a  Gloucester number I don't know if it was ever on a Dodge Kew. it has also been weathered a bit. I think the gloss needs taking back a bit when everything is totally dry.

198728588_lorry2a.jpg.a43cc5aa6cc7ef40b680a7f0d9c9931e.jpg

1161281131_lorry1a.jpg.deee7eac1778f70bec9fb1957393a460.jpg

I hope you have the correct paperwork for re-licensing a vehicle....!

Assume tax in the post...….;);) 

• Funny 5

Hmm...no 'O' license either...the owner will be getting a visit from the Ministry(vosa these days),then there'll be trouble!

Phil

• Funny 2