BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

On 01/06/2020 at 15:22, westerner said:

The afternoon freight arrives with empty minerals for the collier on a hot sunny late summer afternoon.

1174791295_coal1.jpg.b2950d1c3e5c28768900155e150c5b16.jpg

After delivering the wagons and after shunting the brake van under the bridge 3716 (borrowed from Aberdare and some how still with us in the summer of '65) collects the goods van now that Frank drake has loaded his crate.

916255003_coal2.jpg.86c59b809c113ae0bd25730e618185a9.jpg

They then draw forward and back to the Brake van before going back down to Awre and Bullo.

1710031726_coal3.jpg.dc7b5f68f520f358d4379b3ecc74e030.jpg

I noticed that you have built the van as being without automatic brakes. Did you remove the center brace from the door or did you build new doors? Beautiful layout and stock, inspiring! 

I am sometimes very stupid,  and when I wrote the above was one of those times. I failed to realize that Parkside make multiple kits for LNER vans, some with vacuum brakes, some without. My kit is one that is vacuum braked,  and thus the door is a bit different. I clumsily assumed that you had converted the door. 

That being said, gorgeous layout! I love the shots of the train through the trees most of all.

Amanda 

On 26/08/2020 at 07:48, WM183 said:

I am sometimes very stupid,  and when I wrote the above was one of those times. I failed to realize that Parkside make multiple kits for LNER vans, some with vacuum brakes, some without. My kit is one that is vacuum braked,  and thus the door is a bit different. I clumsily assumed that you had converted the door. 

That being said, gorgeous layout! I love the shots of the train through the trees most of all.

Amanda 

Okay, I'll ask the Dumb Question this time. :fool:

Why did the van being fitted or unfitted make a difference to the doors being braced or not? :dontknow:

I wish I knew.

LNER built loads of vans to the same body design, in 10' wheelbase clasp brake fitted vans and 9' wheelbase Morton braked unfitted ones. For whatever reason the fitted ones have a different door, with a central horizontal plank, than the unfitted ones which lack that brace plank bit.

Spot the difference. Apart from the telegraph pole coming out of the chimney.

699799454_37753.jpg.bbadf4bab742d51844e9615e07bcb551.jpg

1218668733_37754.jpg.040bb7dd87e7d91d1be73c8e35b1470c.jpg

Amazing isn't it what one doesn't see for months suddenly with a couple of photos smacks you in the face. Suddenly realised there was a gap between the smoke box valence and the footplate. It must have occurred several months ago when I had the body off and I'd not re-seated it properly when reattaching the body to the chassis. Now corrected.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, westerner said:

Amazing isn't it what one doesn't see for months suddenly with a couple of photos smacks you in the face.

I was looking at them on my phone, so small pictures, that's my excuse. :whistle: :angel:

Of course, now you've pointed it out.... :rolleyes:  ;)

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, westerner said:

a Parkside ex PO owners mineral wagon, there were some still around in the Forest in the early sixties, known locally I understand as "ood uns" as apart from the more modern "tinnies". 

Indeed. Off the top of my head I can think of at least one Ben Ashworth photo clearly showing an 'ood un' in the train, right behind the loco. IIRC it was passing the site of Eastern United colliery, south of Ruspidge.

The first bit of painting/weathering done. The chassis' of all three have been given a coat of Lifecolor weathered black whether they were black or grey to begin with. the Parkside van needed a couple of coats as it was grey to start with.. This will be a base for track dirt sleeper grime and brake dust which will be added after the bodies have been painted.

1526365183_paintedchassis1.jpg.011e1acea48965861b0153f83c622ee2.jpg

1733326901_paintedchassis2.jpg.007a8ecf7fd5e8a98276665c8e9259d6.jpg

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Baggies1961 said:

Hi Alan,

Great surprise and I will head to the newsagent tomorrow for a copy of BRM.

Regards

Julian.

According to the 'Nov issue BRM' thread, the printed magazine isn't out until the 8th - next Friday. So those of us who still like paper mags will just have to wait. :fie:

• Thanks 1