BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

• RMweb Premium

I've just read through your whole thread and a better way to spend a morning can't be imagined.

I'd be well impressed with my modelling if I could achieve just 5% of what you've managed.

Thanks for sharing.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

An observation if I may on your last image.

The layout extolls a vision of openness and light and yet looking through the bridge hole is a bit like looking into a darkened room - to me at least. Would it be possible to throw some light on the painted scenery beyond the bridge so that the change isn't so noticeable?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Ray, i know where your coming from, but if I put too much light at the back, the colours of the fiddleyard back scene become bleached even though the colours are fairly accurate to the main backscene. Indeed they are a phot of the main backscene. It is a difficult one.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I've ridden quite a few of the back roads around there, one minute the sun is over your head, next it's sending all kinds of colour through the leaf canopy, then you feel like you're in a dark green tunnel and wishing you had put on another layer. That's in the space of a hundred yards!

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Hi Alan, I'm enjoying looking through your thread and catching up with Blakney. I've a question about the ballast. I remember you using clear to fix it, did you use it neat and was it just one application. Also does it take painting well?

I've got to that stage on my layout and was thinking of using it myself.

Many thanks. 

Steve, you are correct I did use Klear (neat) and like using diluted PVA it was done with with one application from a pipette type dropper. Obviously there was the odd spot that needed another application. The ballast, which was Woodland Scenics Medium Grey Blend, too the Humbrol washes well, a mixture of Rust dark brown , grey and black very well and allowed a great deal so subtlety .

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, pwr said:

Yes very appropriate too for Forest of Dean. its a pity the Little Loco class 22 never came to anything as I cant see Dapol or Heljan going down that road.

Paul R

I emailed Dapol about doing the 22 in O, as they have excellent versions in 2 & 4mm. Never heard a dicky bird from them. Then they went and announced the Class 66!! That's no use!!! :rolleyes:  :no:

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 23/11/2020 at 20:18, F-UnitMad said:

I emailed Dapol about doing the 22 in O, as they have excellent versions in 2 & 4mm. Never heard a dicky bird from them. Then they went and announced the Class 66!! That's no use!!! :rolleyes:  :no:

You shouldn't have said:

'I'll have three!'

8749 really looks the business

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, westerner said:

The vans having arrived for the Forest Furniture the whole train is pushed back up the industrial branch, rather like the Sling Branch,

pushing.JPG.4d7d6b9d99add63d2d9e59d4926b0778.JPG

After loading the vans the train is brought back down the branch with the brake van behind the the loco.

pulling.jpg.3a60dabf83b0cff33eb438a9ced659c5.jpg

When clear of the branch point the loco uncouple and runs round the train.

2106505595_runninground.jpg.addc58e365af37a2648bd0f9a9f4c261.jpg

And couples up.

1487638732_couplingup.jpg.94ee2d9506cde193a8132d56b2111f4f.jpg

And the leaves.

leaving.jpg.b3d4d5e9e00b3b83c802eec24dcf08a8.jpg

Here's a suggestion, Alan:

1. Train arrives, detaches brake van clear of siding point.

2. Loco shunts wagons to siding.

3. Loco returns and runs round brake van.

4. Loco and brake van depart.

5. Later in day, repeat in reverse.