BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

Being born in Gloucester of Welsh speaking parents, it did not help me understand the Foresters when I played football for Minsterworth when the majority of our away games where in the Forest. I remember talking to an opponent after a game and not understanding much of what he said. It took me ages to work out that he was saying we were playing them again the following week.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

My dad's view was that Foresters were the last 'true' English, as the Normans had invaded and spoiled the rest of the country but never managed to conquer the Forest.  Them Normans didn't like the woods, see.  So the 'English' were basically nancy French, and the woodentop Welsh were some eastern branch of Ireland.

All utter nonsense, but a strongly held view by my father's side of the family.  Grandad's job, after coming home wounded from WW1, was leading teams of horses pulling the deadfall timber out of the forest.  He was also a freeminer. 

Don't get me started on mum's side, who were coal miners from the Kingdom of Fife...  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Alan and all

One of my fellow club members from when I was in the Maldon club use to use a similar dried plant method to make trees. Normally he was a very laid back type of guy, but at one show he was demonstrating his skills this bloke must have wound him up. He told the bloke the best place to harvest them was from the central reservation on the A12.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

Steve, I've used this method before on Wencombe and I've never treated them. I think the important thing is to let them fully dry out. These were hanging in the garage for about 4 or 5 months drying out. The other thing is if they still have the little seed pods on is to trim them off with small scissors like nail scissors. On Wencombe I didn't an the seeds were forever dropping off. This time I harvested them later and most if not all the seeds had gone.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, westerner said:

Steve, I've used this method before on Wencombe and I've never treated them. I think the important thing is to let them fully dry out. These were hanging in the garage for about 4 or 5 months drying out. The other thing is if they still have the little seed pods on is to trim them off with small scissors like nail scissors. On Wencombe I didn't an the seeds were forever dropping off. This time I harvested them later and most if not all the seeds had gone.

If you plant the seeds on the layout the next batch of trees might come up ready built...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

More fence work today, this time erecting the post and wire fence.

First was to mark out a jig. this was done on a piece of ply. Basically the fence was drawn out on it and at the end of the wires a notch was cut in the ply.

323299988_Fence4.jpg.b4c5bc0a07443ddd57d233338ffeaaaf.jpg

next was to place the wires (EZ line) on the jig.

1257832251_Fence5.jpg.7704f31db9c70f0aca1ca0d16aad616c.jpg

Then finally place the posts in position and superglue.

462289811_Fence6.jpg.3d58a60def860e8354b54878c79d3d61.jpg

After allowing a decent time to make sure everything was glued the fence was  planted on the layout. The only problem with EZ line as it is so stretchy is to keep all the wires at the same tension. When planted you may notice some of the lower wires are not as tight as the top ones. You may also notice that some of the posts need a wee bit of straightening. More obvious in the photos than in real life. Like the fence down to the platform I'll give thought as to whether the wires need painting (weathering).

1132311072_fence9.jpg.ef068f49bd965496c10f38ed378f01ab.jpg

1378866414_Fence7.jpg.bf997abf936d1f0502583d55f390e618.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Dr Gerbil-Fritters said:

And I'd always heard that a new coat of paint and a spruce up was sign of imminent closure....

Don't forget fresh ballast!

Alan,  Looking through the trees to catch a glimpse of the train lifts the visual aspect of the scene to a much higher level.

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

Hippo said;

Alan,  Looking through the trees to catch a glimpse of the train lifts the visual aspect of the scene to a much higher level.

Alan, The Hippo was spot on about the Trees in the foreground, they are adding an extra dimension to the Layout.:good:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1