BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, westerner said:

A slight change today. I'm having a rest from scenery and I decided I ought to look at the other Dapol 16ton mineral I have. I don't think it's been out of the box. As with the other one the back to backs were all over the place. I don't know why they can't get them right, but a little while with the B-B gauge and everything was OK. I decided I'd weather it. Here are a few photos with it lightly weathered with the other one which has had a tiny bit more weathering added.

459060699_minerals1.jpg.8df86784bda84518d3696ba3c7b76062.jpg

427010615_minerals2.jpg.26915f291b1c8cff804f4cb5304f1b53.jpg

1505186845_minerals3.jpg.86fd312543aff70a1913aac8266d968d.jpg

Nicely done, Alan. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Baggies, sorry I don't know your real name, I tend to use Lifecolor acrylics and Humbrol washes an odd combination of enamels and Acrylics.

The Chassis is painted using the Lifecolor's, Weathered Black, followed by Frame Dirt, Track Dirt, and finally Brake Dust all from Lifecolor's Rail Weathering Set, The frame dirt and Track dirt is brushed upwards from the chassis and is allowed to flick the bottom of the body.

The Body: the inside was given a wash of Humbrol rust and before it was really dry it was given a second wash of  Humbrol Dark Grey, this producing the rusty coal effect. The outside was initially given a spray with grey primer. this looked close enough to the normal body colour that I did not bother to over paint with the correct grey knowing I was going to weather it fairly heavily. The weathering was done mainly with Lifecolor's Dust and Rust set namely Rust Base , and Rust Light Shadow No's 1& 2 mainly applied with a cocktail stick, there was much removal using a damp cotton bud. Over this was applied a wash of the dark grey Humbrol, again wiped off with a cotton bud in a downward direction. Depending on how it looks I then redo the rust patches again until I'm satisfied.

As you can see with the 2 Dapol minerals it is easy to vary the amount of weathering.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, westerner said:

The last couple of days I've been putting together the Intentio GWR lamp hut.

1710384422_lamphut1.jpg.b21d40affc1e2554103b9d99a76e7f62.jpg

2041508345_Lamphut2.jpg.f8fd1c7c7ac04c8a616349528fef4272.jpg

And a helicopter shot.

605736994_Lamphut3.jpg.3071a342b107deebed5237fd28bec963.jpg

Very nice Alan. I like the sleeper base. That's gone into the files...

• Agree 1

The 4 sleepers came with the kit so I assumed they were to mount the hut so that the bottom of the corrugations had a better chance of not corroding. There will be longer tufts of grass around them, the sleepers, and around the station building.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Alan,

the lamp hut looks the business, but according to OPC's 'A Pictorial Record of Great Western Architecture', the lamp huts were not provided with a floor! (P421)

The official drawing shows lower part of the frame had baseplates which were  buried in the ground and then the hut had a concreted floor poured in.

I suspect that Intentio supplied the sleepers to be trimmed and laid as a box like section to represent the concrete base.

Being placed on sleepers as you have doesn't really work as the poor lamp man would be hurdling the sleepers as he tried to sort out the lamps.

• Informative/Useful 3