BLACKNEY, a Glimpse of the Forest

westerner

The back scene is now in place. Whether it is because we have had such a dismal  Autumn or I've got rather fed up with Mediterranean skies I've gone for a rather grey day with possible showers on the way.

I used material that is used in those "pop-up" advert/information panels. The material was stretched across the garage and held with clips at either end, it is sturdy enough to support itself. The "painting" was done with white and grey primer and a Frost blue aerosol.

garage.jpg.c080c3833e4af29be937868bbdd913dc.jpg

I let it dry for 24 hours unclipped it and rolled it up and took it to the railway room where it was clipped to the back scene.

installed.jpg.6650d79f0909883e3da1ef0bcbef4cb0.jpg

The greys etc are a little stronger in real life. Inow feel that I am getting somewhere.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent the last week or so building a bridge for the right hand end of the layout. As there were no road over bridges at Blakeney  I've based it on one just before Mierstock Tunnel on the Lydney- Lydbrook line. For the same reason I'm beginning to think that Blakeney may not be a good name for the layout, I'm thinking that "A Glimpse of the Forest" might be more appropriate, especially as the station building is going to be based on the one at Ruspridge.

Anyway back to the bridge. The arch is a Langley vacuum formed one, the walls are Slater's. the main backing structure is a mixture of balsa wood and foam board. There is still much to do, capping on the side walls, fences and hedges running on to and the road/track surface to be put in position and of course colouring and weathering. You may notice that the siding has been truncated by about 6 inches this is to allow the land( when it is in place) to look more natural.

Anyway some pics.

bridge 4.jpg

bridge 1.jpg

bridge 2.jpg

bridge 3.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Excellent work there Alan, and yes, possibly a name change, I remember the GRIEF I got when I used a ready to plant Station Building that was almost the same as Bitton, that's why I no longer try and model a prototype, and if I did, I would call it something far away from it's real one.

• Like 1

Just found where you have been lurking.

Read through from start to now with interest, like the idea of 7mm but just don't have the space.

Keep up the good work and I will now be following with interest.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

36 minutes ago, KNP said:

Just found where you have been lurking.

Read through from start to now with interest, like the idea of 7mm but just don't have the space.

Keep up the good work and I will now be following with interest.

Tut Tut Kevin, such lame excuses,:no: St Budoc, and Trebudoc were only 9ft long including the Fiddle Yard.:good:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Alan. 

I'm really taken with the backscene. As you may recall,  my sheepy layouts use a plain backscene but seeing what you have done has made me think again.........mmmm. The little woolly cells are ticking.....

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A little more work done on the bridge, capping (copping?) stones added and the fence which will end in a hedge. Blooper time.

829428425_bridgerails.jpg.4a9c41f0b83b4e58a203112eb80b982d.jpg

It was whilst I was taking the photo I noticed that the stone work on one side was different to the other. The stone on left was smaller than the right. WHOOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. It has now been peeled off and the larger stone has been substituted. You were all too kind to mention it. Thank You.

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, westerner said:

.......You were all too kind to mention it. Thank You.

Well I can’t speak for everyone else but I was that impressed with the build so far that I hadn’t noticed a difference in stone size

Copping stones and fencing looks great, well done Sir

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Whilst getting used to the brightness and clarity that has resulted from a cataract operation yesterday I thought I'd play with a bit of grass?? I now see things much brighter. I can now see why people argue about colours of locos etc.. It has driven home to me how we all see colours differently.

Any how some photos, by the way nothing is stuck down yet.

691517268_1stgrass1.jpg.57604f88760f1571a063ca32b2da7889.jpg

1774966923_1stgrass2.jpg.f086a42f0919cbf28a052a7f71055f1c.jpg

• Like 15