Which Laser?

Hi all,

Many apologies as I’m guessing this question has been asked a zillion times already but....

I am looking to purchase a laser cutter and have no idea where to go (not eBay!). I have a budget up to about £3000 tops and ideally want to cut up to about 6mm ply or MDF but please don’t laugh if that’s impossible. I guess I’m prepared to pay a bit extra to get something as reasonably versatile as possible within a ‘domestic’ product, cutting up to about A3 size. 

Any steerage greatly appreciated.

It might well be worth looking at some that are already installed - I think there is a makerspace in Brighton with one, and another in South london. I don't know if there are any nearer.

6mm MDf probably wants 50W +

The one I use is a cheap Chinese from ebay and its actually pretty good, but you are on your own* when it comes to support. 

jon

*actually there is LOTS of advice out there online, but none you can call up and they will send an engineer - thats what you pay for when you buy an HPC or similar 'UK' machine.

• RMweb Gold

I know Phil (I think) who ran Intentio doing laser cut buildings and parts used a HPC CO2 cutter, but the impression he gave was that he was not impressed.  I see from a Facebook post he's just purchased a largish Trotec.  I have been looking at Trotec for about 12 months (seriously thinking of getting one myself) and they do some smaller units, also have a base in Burton-on-Trent (and another in Teeside I think) if you can get to one, they will give you a demo and go through things.

Rich

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Trotec is in a different league to the HPC both in quality, support and price. You pay your money and get what you pay for. The Chinese machines can do the job but are cheap and slow. HPC are Chinese machines but HPC are there to support, the parts can be got a fraction of HPC prices direct from China. The Trotec and other European built machines are very expensive but use different laser technology as well as a range of other differences including importantly the safety aspects. The software side of things is wide ranging too.

For myself, the HPC was a good machine to get going with and I know some who get on well with them but people who run them secretly want a Trotec.  If you want to make your own stuff at home a HPC would be top of the range, but anything more and you'll be wanting.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. By coincidence yesterday I placed the order for an HPC3040 with a 60W upgrade tube. I also see in the latest GOG Gazette an article on the HPC3020, so useful info there. The 3040 was right at the top of my budget but I’m sure we’ll Ben very happy together!

• Like 2