The Penydarren tramway

rogerfarnworth

The Railway Magazine, March 1951, carried a short note about the Penydarren Tramway as well as an article about Richard Trevithick and his locomotive which first ran on the Tramway in February 1804. The first steam locomotive on rails .....

This post pulls together information from a number of different websites about the Penydarren Tramway. The next post will follow the length of the line as best as is possible ....

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/02/02/the-penydarren-tramroad-south-wales-part-1

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

There was a great article I read from the 1880s by an elderly man who in his youth in the 1830s travelled behind an 0-6-0 called Perseverance on the Merthyr Tydfil tramroad, he said when the loco was short on steam they would wait a while to build it up again,  uncouple the loco from the train and couple on again with a long chain,  they would then back down again and then charge forward at full power to try and jerk the train forward, I have a photo somewhere of one of the plateway locos that lasted until about 1912 in a decrepit, incomplete condition having acquired a saddle tank at some stage in its career, but unmistakable as a primitive locomotive, possibly started its life as 'Yn Barod Etto' 

(Edit after I found the photo)

45170216_988062498033191_1561043968681050112_o.jpg

YN_BAROD_ETTO.gif

Edited by Killian keane
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 7 months later...