SR Pill Box brake vans on the S&D?

P.C.M

Hi All,

I quite like the look of the SR Pill Box brake van that Dapol have done and Remember seeing a few in departmental use back in the 90s when I worked on the railway. I am just wondering did they ever get used over the S&D back in the mid 60s. The only pictures I can find in my S&D books show the standard BR 2ot brake van.

Cheers Peter.

Unless there was some obscure reason for them to be prohibited, and I can't think of anything that would prevent their use, there is nothing technically preventing their use on the S&D (or anywhere else). Operationally, a brake van is a brake van, and the only practical consideration is its weight, and thus brake power.

Remember that as far as a great many railway photographers were concerned, what was at the front of the train was of infinitely more interest than that which was bringing up the rear, or in fact anything more than a few carriage or wagon lengths behind the locomotive.

Jim

• 1 year later...
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 03:57, P.C.M said:

Hi All,

I quite like the look of the SR Pill Box brake van that Dapol have done and Remember seeing a few in departmental use back in the 90s when I worked on the railway. I am just wondering did they ever get used over the S&D back in the mid 60s. The only pictures I can find in my S&D books show the standard BR 2ot brake van.

Cheers Peter.

If you are modelling in 4mm it's Bachmann that have done the SR Pill Box Brake not Dapol.

But, apart from that, my records show that I've found 7 pictures so far of a Pill Box Brake van on the S&D, mostly grey but a couple in bauxite.

I can give book references if you want them.

Peter.