Euston Station pre 1963

bobthesod4479

• RMweb Premium

There is a book, that's probably long out of print, called London's termini by Alan Jackson.   It had a plan of the old Euston.   I'll try and find my copy and post the answer if I can find it.   I seem to remember that the numbering was a bit chaotic, reflecting the way the station had developed.

Jamie

Jamie, i have the same book, but it is buried somewhere in the loft, following redecoration!

Robert, Thanks,  it was a remark on another forums that made me ask. Back in 1960 or so Spurs played Crewe in an FAcup tie, the replay at Tottenham resulted in a 13-2 win for Spurs and the rumour was they arrived on  P13 and departed on P2. Looks like that is a myth but the reverse could have happened, arr P2 depart P13

Thanks for the replies

• RMweb Gold

If you can find the thread in this new format RMWeb, there is a lot of useful info and diagrams on the Camden Bank layout.

As Jamie says, Euston had grown like Topsy and was not the easiest station operationally. But, broadly, long- distance trains arrived at Platforms 1-3 on the Up (east side) from where they could be shunted through an underpass to carriage sidings on the west side and then reversed down into the high-numbered departure platforms on the west side of the station. Platforms in between were mostly used for shorter distance trains (including electric) that could depart again without servicing.