Little multimode Inglenook project layout

While I'm planning something else in OO, I thought I'd crack on with this little layout - It was intended to be a quick and cheap build and it has been through a few false starts! It is essentially a 4' x 1' inglenook (no fiddle) with a kickback siding for extra fun/parking.. I couldn't decide whether this should be for UK OO, or a German HO layout.. so now it's both!! In the spirit of Chris Ellis 'multimode'.. I've tried to go for a scenic stuff that would work equally well for both.. crap pictures at the moment, sorry.. but hopefully I'll get a video up on youtube this week. This evening it is in DB mode :-) (Any suggestions for a layout name considered)

a.jpg

d.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

• Like 11

I like the multimode concept. It's something I have had to develop here in America. For as much as I'd rather run UK outline stock on my layouts. The US exhibition goers don't care two hoots for a layout that isn't American (unless in extremely rare conditions they are ex-pats that's just Two people in twenty years of exhibiting. ) I fear my new layout will spend some time running as HO scale instead of OO. 

Looking good, though I think the building in the corner looks a tad awkward the way the corner runs straight through the middle of the building. That's just me. :) 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

You're right Ian.. its not perfect.. although I'm quite happy with it as a compromise.. I tried to plan a better way to cut and fit but to be honest found myself circling a bit and I wanted to get this to a 'done' stage without too much more faff :-)

• Like 1

It's always going to be tricky, making the layout suitable for two different countries - but minimising the "giveaway" structures and details, as you've done here, is the trick
I really like this plan / design, especially as it adds the possibility of maybe a cassette extending from the headshunt - as a possible future extension, or just to be able to swap stock around.
Even if you don't ever feel the need to do this, the foreground headshunt is a nice idea.

As Ian Holmes says above, it is a shame about the "fold" in the backscene building - I'm sure that could be disguised, if you wanted......
But as you say, you're happy with it, then fine. Nice idea, and nice plan :)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

That's a nicely modelled scene. 

I love the idea of multi-era or multi-location layouts. I think with careful planning it something that can be well executed with micro layouts. 

As Marc says above, I think the key is to avoid those kind of buildings and scenic features that scream of a particular location or place. Fairly generic buildings are architecture are what is needed.

Otherwise removeable buildings that could be switched for different eras/locations could be another option? This might work for a signature building for a micro layout, whereby one key building can be swapped. In a case such as this, perhaps a UK factory structre couldbe interchanged for a German one. Vehicles and scenic features could likewise be switched. In a micro layout it need only an a handful of items but that could easily work to reinforce the setting. 

Cheers,

David

• Like 1

8 hours ago, south_tyne said:

That's a nicely modelled scene. 

I love the idea of multi-era or multi-location layouts. I think with careful planning it something that can be well executed with micro layouts. 

As Marc says above, I think the key is to avoid those kind of buildings and scenic features that scream of a particular location or place. Fairly generic buildings are architecture are what is needed.

Otherwise removeable buildings that could be switched for different eras/locations could be another option? This might work for a signature building for a micro layout, whereby one key building can be swapped. In a case such as this, perhaps a UK factory structre couldbe interchanged for a German one. Vehicles and scenic features could likewise be switched. In a micro layout it need only an a handful of items but that could easily work to reinforce the setting. 

Cheers,

David

Yes, I think industrial locations, settings and structures can more easily be "relocated" to another setting - more easily perhaps than say, station buildings or signal boxes.
Those type of structures usually bear hallmarks or styles of a particular railway or region, and often bear obvious signs like colour schemes or even simple things like posters which give away a location.

As David says above - some structures could be made removable though, which can help to relocate a layout. On my old Layout "Hendre Lane" - it started out as I intended, set in the late 70's - early 80's time period
But on acquiring different stock in newer livieries - some things looked out of place (or period) - so I made objects like vehicles removable for example a yellow BR van could be replaced with a Network Rail transit. To help with this, I superglued a small piece of wire to the underside of each vehicle, painted black to help hide it. These were then inserted into holes I made in the ground surface. It helped keep them in place and stopped them rolling about.

This could also be done with buildings, with some careful choice and positioning of ground cover, and special attention to where the buildings meet the ground.
Actually, this technique is something I've used, and seen other modellers employ to disguise baseboard joints. A signal box or building, and some greenery that are placed into a position after the boards have been joined together - it's surprising how well this can take the eye away from the tell-tale straight edges of the two boards....

I'm thinking here - you could perhaps even employ this to your low-relief / photo backdrop. If you left a small gap between the back of the layout and the backscene - you could insert different building photographs? Hmmm :)

• Like 1

A thought struck me while reading that.  A removable building could be timber with a low brick base.  The brick base could be glued down and blended into the scenary and the timber part could slot over the top.

The layout is looking really good, the colours really work together.

• Like 2