A New Micro layout

Just for fun: Imagine a spotty teenager persuades his dad to take him down to a small deserted terminus Station somewhere on the east Lincolnshire coast, not too many miles from Mablethorpe. Where he witnesses the arrival of the lunchtime train from Louth. Perhaps he would capture images like these...

49575839397_f4d04aa07e_b.jpg

49575612491_dcb717aed0_b.jpg

49575612246_1481e93cfb_b.jpg

49575101993_4ce2d14a28_b.jpg

49575839407_2565f391e9_b.jpg

"Bloody Hell son! Get down off that tree!!!"

49575839457_c337215df1_b.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

Just for fun: Imagine a spotty teenager persuades his dad to take him down to a small deserted terminus Station somewhere on the east Lincolnshire coast, not too many miles from Mablethorpe. Where he witnesses the arrival of the lunchtime train from Louth. Perhaps he would capture images like these...

49575839397_f4d04aa07e_b.jpg

49575612491_dcb717aed0_b.jpg

49575612246_1481e93cfb_b.jpg

49575101993_4ce2d14a28_b.jpg

49575839407_2565f391e9_b.jpg

"Bloody Hell son! Get down off that tree!!!"

49575839457_c337215df1_b.jpg

Looks fantastic Ian and your signal box looks strangely familiar.

• Like 1

49598366521_8896b9fb46_b.jpg

All set up and ready for the show. No lights because I really don’t know what to do about them currently. But the hall is very well lit and we’re using tension lock couplers. Americans seem fascinated with them. Might as well play to the layouts strength then. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

All set up and ready for the show. No lights because I really don’t know what to do about them currently. But the hall is very well lit and we’re using tension lock couplers. Americans seem fascinated with them. Might as well play to the layouts strength then. 

I do like this layout, but the first thing that struck me about the picture was the lighting. I wish the exhibitions I attend were half as well lit as this.

• Like 1

49602424156_b9aa81730f_b.jpg

Day one of the WGH show report.
For us it went well, the layout ran nigh on perfectly. The time cleaning the wheels and track paid dividends.
The highlight of the show was being sited next to Bob Davidovich and his outstanding scratch built N scale cranes. Inspiring work, and a super nice guy to boot.
I was entertained by a gentleman who thought that full sized railways in the UK must use larger versions of the Hornby tension hook and loop couplings. 
I made another gentleman’s day, by giving his 50 year old Triang-Hornby “Flying Scotsman” the once over and explaining that it really did work on American track using American made controllers. That was a rewarding moment. It was a family heirloom he know nothing about.
Layouts? Well I’m not a big fan of the FreeMo style of layout and other modular derivatives, and all the other layouts were of that style. America needs more individuals with exhibition layouts so ordinary people can see something attainable that doesn’t depend on 20 or 30 other members to pull off. 
We had small crowds around our layout including one expat who told us that when he had been clearing out his fathers papers after his passing, he found his fathers class 24 operating manual. The man had been to Derby locomotive works to learn to drive them! Small world.
More of the same tomorrow then. Drop in if you have the time. As for me, there’s a trader with a secondhand Bachmann J39 that might have my name in it.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2020 at 03:08, Ian Holmes said:

Hope you have a great second day.

Forgive my impertinence, but I did just wonder if, at the end of the show, you'll be wisking away the black cloths without disturbing the layout as a final, magical flourish?

Not sure I'd recommend it though, Keith.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

I was entertained by a gentleman who thought that full sized railways in the UK must use larger versions of the Hornby tension hook and loop couplings. 

Being serious, I guess there's a logic there: American Kadee (and similar) style model couplings look enough like prototype knuckle couplers.

Shows he was paying attention, and it's a compliment to the overall quality of your modelling that he believed it.

Could I ask how you clean your wheels and track? There are a number of techniques, but yours clearly works under exhibition conditions so worth noting. Apologies if it's elsewhere on your thread already (I'm on a train with limited WiFi for searching). Thanks, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1

WGH Show Day 2 report.
More of the same. The layout ran as well as the previous day.. 
Operation of the layout was quite simply bringing a short goods train in and swapping it out with the goods wagons in the siding. Interspersed with the running of the Railbus to the passenger platform. As I was shunting away I started to work out an operating sequence for future exhibitions. Perhaps I’ll get hold of a couple more wagons for operational variety. Maybe a flat wagon with some sheeted down agricultural equipment  on it. 
The layout is pretty much exactly how I want it. The platform should be longer though. For as good as the W&M Railbus looks and runs, I have a 2 car Derby DMU that I can’t use because the platform Is too short. I’ll probably have that longer platform in place by the St. Cloud show in May.
The punters were quite involved, one couple even remembered my Purespring watercress layout from the National Narrow Gauge convention two years ago. 
All in all it was a great couple of days. Exhausting but great fun. A day that really helped to reinstall my enthusiasm for the hobby.

49612169622_881d767662_b.jpg

49612169687_18cebb6172_b.jpg

49611913531_e98bf678d8_b.jpg

• Like 11

Glad the show went well. I think the longer platform would look good, you could maybe squeeze in a small parcel train as well as the 2 car DMU. 

Out of interest what is the longest train you can run on the layout? 

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Ian Holmes said:

The platform should be longer though. For as good as the W&M Railbus looks and runs, I have a 2 car Derby DMU that I can’t use because the platform Is too short.

49611913531_e98bf678d8_b.jpg

Good to hear you enjoyed the show.

From the photo, it looks like one option for a slightly longer available platform would be to try "sliding" the existing platform down a bit so the end ramp is before the buffers? It looks like there's enough space before the fence starts.

Wouldn't be long enough for a two car DMU (I don't think single car 121 / 122 Bubble Cars went far enough East for this kind of line).

Just a thought, so you could see what it looks like? Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
(Spelling)
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sb67 said:

Glad the show went well. I think the longer platform would look good, you could maybe squeeze in a small parcel train as well as the 2 car DMU. 

Out of interest what is the longest train you can run on the layout? 

The loop onstage will take Three wagons and the brake van. Which really is enough as that’s all the sidings can handle. 

I feel the layout needs to be about six inches longer if I lengthen the platform to take the two car DMU. It’s all a question of space and balance.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi Ian.  I’m thinking of using a level crossing as a visual ‘distraction’ between the station and fiddle yard on my micro layout.  The example I can think of is this layout of yours - although there is also the chapel and a scenic divide in the photos of the exhibition.  Could I ask, have you found the level crossing to be an effective way of drawing attention away from the disappearing trains?  As I need to stack my baseboards for storage I don’t really have room for a hill / tunnel / bridge option.  Just wondered, Keith.