Finney7 Workbench

dikitriki

I saw this little beauty in this months Gazette. I'm also looking forward to seeing what has passed.

Just found my old piggy bank, so I'd better start saving. Still have my M7 and her ladyship to finish first though.

Pete

1 hour ago, MarshLane said:

Wow the detail on that chassis is beyond amazing!  Is that a standard Finney7 kit?

Rich

Hi Rich,

This is the first new kit we have designed under the Finney7 label. It sets the standard for Finney7 kits to come, but is a step up in detail from the original Martin Finey kits (well-detailed in any event) which have hitherto formed our range. Everything you see in the photos is included in the kit, with the usual exception of wheels, gears and motor etc.

Richard

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, dikitriki said:

Hi Rich,

This is the first new kit we have designed under the Finney7 label. It sets the standard for Finney7 kits to come, but is a step up in detail from the original Martin Finey kits (well-detailed in any event) which have hitherto formed our range. Everything you see in the photos is included in the kit, with the usual exception of wheels, gears and motor etc.

Richard

We really do need to pester Andy Y for a 'Wow' button.  I am truly amazed, I am astounded at the skill involved.  Do I assume these new kits are made of out Nickel Silver rather than brass then?

I have recently been contemplating one of the Finney7 early GNR tender kits (although I need to find out how long they lasted in that form) potentially run with one of the Heljan A3s I have on order .... but really not sure if my soldering skills are up to it!

Thanks for the reply

Rich

12 hours ago, MarshLane said:

We really do need to pester Andy Y for a 'Wow' button.  I am truly amazed, I am astounded at the skill involved.  Do I assume these new kits are made of out Nickel Silver rather than brass then?

I have recently been contemplating one of the Finney7 early GNR tender kits (although I need to find out how long they lasted in that form) potentially run with one of the Heljan A3s I have on order .... but really not sure if my soldering skills are up to it!

Thanks for the reply

Rich

Thanks,

The new kits are etched in nickel silver rather than brass. Though by special order, we can make any kit available in nickel silver.

Regarding the 8 wheel tender. Our instructions are on-line, so you can have a good look to see whether you think you can do it. There's only one way to find out ;)

Richard

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/02/2019 at 10:08, dikitriki said:

Thanks,

The new kits are etched in nickel silver rather than brass. Though by special order, we can make any kit available in nickel silver.

Regarding the 8 wheel tender. Our instructions are on-line, so you can have a good look to see whether you think you can do it. There's only one way to find out ;)

Richard

Hi Richard,

Hmm, couldn’t agree more, I just need to make the move I think. I’ve been reading the instructions for some of the kits. When rivets have to be ‘embossed’ or pushed out, so you recommend a proper Rivet press, or is there another method?

Rich

Edited by MarshLane

There  are a myriad of ways to push the rivets through, which include centre punches and nails with small hammers to limit the blow. The challenge is getting the right shape and most importantly consistency. I have just got one of the GW Models which come with 2mm/4mm/7mm anvils and you can set it up to give you a repeatable depth

If you are going to do these quality kits justice then it's worth the outlay

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Park said:

There  are a myriad of ways to push the rivets through, which include centre punches and nails with small hammers to limit the blow. The challenge is getting the right shape and most importantly consistency. I have just got one of the GW Models which come with 2mm/4mm/7mm anvils and you can set it up to give you a repeatable depth

If you are going to do these quality kits justice then it's worth the outlay

Thanks Alan,

It was one of the GW Models punches I was thinking about.  Just didnt want to go an buy one for somebody to say they are good, but you can just do it this way instead!! :)

Rich

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 01:18, MarshLane said:

Hi Richard,

Hmm, couldn’t agree more, I just need to make the move I think. I’ve been reading the instructions for some of the kits. When rivets have to be ‘embossed’ or pushed out, so you recommend a proper Rivet press, or is there another method?

Rich

Hi Rich,

A well-made rivet press will last you a lifetime. I have used the GW Models rivet press for years, either free-hand or using the table and it's a super product. The use of a proper press will minimise the distortion caused by rivet forming, though there is inevitably some working back to true required.

Richard

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1