Watertank panels

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all, random question time!

Does anyone know if there are standard dimensions for the panels used in watertank construction like the ones in the photo below? 

233-1.jpg.3cb37e4ca42eadaa7e4f2862e144f2f2.jpg

Tom.  

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm trying to find the dimensioned drawings I had from Braithwaites when I did a tower but they're filed somewhere!

A download on their site gives it as either 1000mm or 1200mm square. I'd say that's 4' ish so go for the 1200mm.

http://www.braithwaite.co.uk/pdf/Steel_tank_brochure.pdf

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

CR water tanks were made from panels 2ft square, though of a different pattern to the ones in your photo.  If you have an idea of the overall dimensions of the tank,you can work out the size of the panels.

Jim857765942_watertank4.jpg.c53ddd5e743b14d47ff10364da38577b.jpg

Edited by Caley Jim
Edited to add photo.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately the tank is in such a position that it's difficult to get exact dimensions. I'm intending to try 3D printing the whole thing, so I can scale it until it looks about right, although I think on the layout I've slightly compressed the area around the tank so some tweaking would probably be necessary anyway. 

Thanks all. 

Tom. 

45 minutes ago, Crosland said:

Yes.

I believe there is at least one article in Midland Record or LMS Journal but mine are packed away for a house move so I cannot help further.

Which triggered the thought that there are drawings of the panelled MR tank at Ashchurch in the Eric Plans booklet once published by Peco - the panels there are 3ft-6in wide by 3ft-0in high. The bricks in the drawing are depicted accurately so in all probability the panels are too.

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Crosland said:

Yes.

I believe there is at least one article in Midland Record or LMS Journal but mine are packed away for a house move so I cannot help further.

The article on Midland Water tanks is in Midland Record No.2. pp44-51. The plates for Midland tanks were 4'x3'. I have no idea how that relates to the size of the plates at Ropley although presumably there was an optimum size for plates.

Mind, if you fancy having a go at drawing up a Midland tank.......... see my Bath thread at the moment^_^

Jerry